is 29:02 an ok 5k time for beginner?

Options
I am running my first 5k race in 4 days so I decided to practice doing the route and was able to run it in 29:02. Is that ok for a beginner? I have been running for 7 weeks and have been doing a learn to run program but I am ahead as I do a lot of cardio. I just don't want to finishe dead last (though I will be happy to finish). I hope to cut some time off that because of being pushed by others and I will have music (I didn't tonight).

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing time for a beginner.
  • bassett8807
    bassett8807 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am not a beginner and I get ecstatic when I get below 30 for a 5k. That is a great time!
  • TheMMan
    TheMMan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of TRX suspension training but not a lot of running. I've got a 5K color run in less than 10 days so we're in the same boat. I ran a 31 minute 5K yesterday so you're doing just fine. Get a VERY good stretch before you run. I've got a killer grass cut tomorrow and then I'm going out again on Friday.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Yes that is more than OK. My first was 40:10, my second was 34:58. I am hoping to get down to 30 by my third.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent time. I've been running since last year and I have yet to even get below 31 minutes for a 5K
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My first 5k took me 45+ minutes. My first all running 5k took about 38. I've yet to get under 30. I conclude that YES that is a GREAT time for a beginner
  • XhamWow
    XhamWow Posts: 1
    Options
    Awesome time! I used to do cross country in high school, and in the beginning I couldn't even get that time even though I was a distance runner in track before that! Keep it up!! The race will definitely push you. I believe (granted this is years ago, I can barely even run a mile now...sadly) when I left cross country, my best time was only around 27 minutes and I could only get times like that in a race. So good luck and again, keep up the awesome job!!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It's a great time! Nice job. :drinker:
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    That is a very good time for a beginner!
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Haha I think your just bragging :P thats a great time!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Good job!

There's a pretty cool dealio called the WAVA Table that sort of "handicaps" running times. It can quantify which is "better;" a 23:00 5K for a male age 40 or a 25:00 5k for a female age 30.

http://pinebeltpacers.org/AgeGrade/AgeGrade.htm
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    That's a great time! My first 5k was 29:52, granted I was pushing a jogging stroller, but I was amazed I was able to break 30 my first time out and would have been happy with that time if it was a solo run.

You will not be last, that race I did with the jogger, I started in the very back and passed a lot of people. Of course my times with the stroller and without aren't that different.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's a great time! My first 5k was 29:52, granted I was pushing a jogging stroller, but I was amazed I was able to break 30 my first time out and would have been happy with that time if it was a solo run.

You will not be last, that race I did with the jogger, I started in the very back and passed a lot of people. Of course my times with the stroller and without aren't that different.

My first time out was 40:41 pushing a double stroller, so I salute you!
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am not a beginner and I get ecstatic when I get below 30 for a 5k. That is a great time!

Me too! I strive to be able to be 30 minutes one day. The closest I've become is 31:53
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    It's not ok...

It's amazing :drinker:
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, I did mine in 30 minutes!!
  • Dano47
    Dano47 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok this is a great way to make an older runner feel slow. I'm a 40ish new runner who has been trying to be serious about running for about a year now. I've run in several 5 and 10k races, followed, I don't now how many variations of training programs, and to date, can only run 11min miles on training runs and 10-1/2 mins during races, finishing somewhere around 31-32mins. I've transitioned to running from a life time of strength training w minimal cardio. Let me say that i envy you. That is an excellent time for your first 5k. Can you imagine where your time will be if you got serious about your running. Please keep us informed on ur finishing time. No doubt younger runners transition faster than older ones do.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I run a small race timing company and I can tell you that 29:02 will put you solidly in front of most participants in most races. That is excellent, especially if you are a woman. I'd suggest looking at the results from a few races in your area to get a sense of where you might stand. Or you could visit my timing company's website and you'll see the results for all the races we have timed this year. You can look at age group results too, to compare with other people your sex / age.

Here's the link to my race company's site: http://davidsontiming.com
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Thats an awesome time!!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing time for a beginner.

Seriously.

My best 5k time is 32 or so minutes, and I was pushing to kill.