Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Take a multivitamin and get over it?
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Use the search function. This topic has been covered 3 times in the past hour.

All you ladies live together or something?

LOL!!:laugh:
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Use the search function. This topic has been covered 3 times in the past hour.

All you ladies live together or something?

LOL!!:laugh:

:laugh:

These are actually driving me slightly crazy today.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Start by thinking about why we crave certain foods it could be your having a deficiency in a vitamin. Try taking a multi vitamin if your not already. Women can get an iron deficiency try eating iron rich foods like baby spinach. Eating smaller meals more often is a good way to also fight that. Don't have your trigger foods in the house and look at ways you can curb your cravings. Mine is chocolate so I use Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut spread with my apple. MEASURE IT! It only has like 5 g of sugar has healthy fats and is a really taste guilt free food. If its salt I am craving I make roasted chickpea or some Air popped popcorn with nutritional yeast :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Iron and protein. I crave protein around 'that time', like I wake up in the morning and my body is freaking out like it desperately needs protein, so I will often have steak and eggs on those mornings, and I am usually ok the rest of the day. I avoid bread, chips, crackers and other such things during that time as I know I will end up eating a whole loaf or bag or whatnot. I have that kind of stuff when I am not so prone to binging.
  • Yoshimi1977
    Yoshimi1977 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    While I am not a lady, I have had talk with some classmates/teachers in regards to change in appetite in TOM during my family and maternal nursing class.

It is important to get protein in before TOM. Your body anticipates the blood loss and gets ready to produce RBCs.

Its kind of amazing about how the body has all of these functions and all of these needs.

I will say bloating with women is hard also do to the fact estrogen controls sodium retention. It sucks, it would drive me crazy.

Dont stress yourself out too much about it. Its a normal function, you cant do anything to stop it(atleast not dangerously) and nothing good will come from worrying too much about it

I vote you "most informed, polite man in the interwebs" ;):flowerforyou:

I second that! :-)
  • MandyJokl
    MandyJokl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Buy a large bar of dark chocolate. Split it into pieces. Wrap individually in foil and then put them all in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. When you are craving chocolate take a piece out and nibble on it. Lasts longer as it is so cold. And because you have unwrapped it, and eaten it all psychologically it feels like you don't need as much.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah, will power.

You don't need crap just because your period is due.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    While I am not a lady, I have had talk with some classmates/teachers in regards to change in appetite in TOM during my family and maternal nursing class.

It is important to get protein in before TOM. Your body anticipates the blood loss and gets ready to produce RBCs.

Its kind of amazing about how the body has all of these functions and all of these needs.

I will say bloating with women is hard also do to the fact estrogen controls sodium retention. It sucks, it would drive me crazy.

Dont stress yourself out too much about it. Its a normal function, you cant do anything to stop it(atleast not dangerously) and nothing good will come from worrying too much about it

I vote you "most informed, polite man in the interwebs" ;):flowerforyou:

I second that! :-)

Yep, he's going to be a great nurse!
  • sfdf40
    sfdf40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You HAD to mention Pringles!!!!!!! Now I want some..........

Sorry- no helpful advice.
  • Livylove90
    Livylove90 Posts: 14
    Options
    If I am feeling ravenous during TOM I usually try drinking a few cups of water and a spoonful of peanut butter. Its a good idea to stock up on healthy snacks like veggies/fruits, no junk food in the house but I still def have days where I go over my calories anyway but I dont dwell too much on it. I just work harder at the gym :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    OMG, there are men in this thread! *passes out*
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I was told that its ok to up the calories during this time your body need the extra calories. (per my nutritionist/ dietitian) The trick is not to fall into the habit of eating only bad foods and to get more good calories in like more yogurt, fruits, cheese, veggies, ect. Thats my problem though, I crave EVERYTHING but the good calories lol. Hell those day sometimes half my calories come from crap. :embarassed: So in total no I dont have any advice just be mindful
  • sparklingday
    sparklingday Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies... been there done all of that! and so glad I am past it.
    However, a couple of things that I picked up along the way that seriously worked like a charm are High doses of B complex and raspberry tea.

Now, I am not a doc by any stretch of the imagination so I am just telling you what worked for me. I would find the highest dosage of B complex vitamins and take 2-3 times the recommended dosage. B complex is water soluble so it won't hurt you if you are taking too much. You just pee it out. I would take the B complex till my urine turned bright yellow. It would take a couple of months of taking this daily to resolve my TOM stuff, but once it kicked in it relieved my symptoms completely!! You just have to keep taking it. Once you quit after a month or so it all comes back.

The other thing is red raspberry tea... this you can do for about a week before and all during and it helps a lot! I used these at different times. I wasn't all that good about taking the vitamin supplements all the time... so when I needed something quicker I would take the red raspberry tea. Old herbal remedy.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I am going to be honest. After this semester of nursing school I realized I learned more about pregnancy and the function of it than some women out there.

It is very scary.I am not trying to be cocky its just cause I am a guy lol
  • jillianlamb
    jillianlamb Posts: 29
    Options
    Typically during my TOM (which finally started today after being a week late. ugh) I'm either in the bathtub screaming and kicking from the pain, throwing up everything I've ever eaten... Or in the kitchen eating everything. Between the cramps, nausea, hunger, and migraines, it's a pretty terrible week.
    So for the week my new best friend will be copious amounts of tea. And I plan on drowning my sorrows in exercise. Instead of giving in to the binge eating, I'd recommend them both. When your TOM is coming, throw out or give away everything you'd typically binge on.
    Cheers ladies xx
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options

Thanks for the info! Funnily enough I crave protein shakes just before Tom and have an extra one a day... No regrets :)
  • Brianna72994
    Brianna72994 Posts: 887
    Options
    I actually researched this before, and (supposedly) the reason you feel more hungry is because your body needs the extra nutrients. When I'm about to have TOM, I eat and I'm literally hungry an hour later. I don't deprive myself. I eat when I'm hungry, I just try to choose healthier foods like fruit.
  • StaycJulia
    StaycJulia Posts: 32
    Options
    I get the worst cravings for chocolate during my TOM. I have bought the 86% dark chocolate and grated just a bit of it over strawberries with some fat free whipped topping. It gives me just enough of that chocolate taste to keep me from bingeing.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I am going to be honest. After this semester of nursing school I realized I learned more about pregnancy and the function of it than some women out there.

It is very scary.I am not trying to be cocky its just cause I am a guy lol

Because women are taught that the natural functions of our body are shameful. Mothers don't often talk about it to their daughters and they are left in the dark. Not to mention the female reproductive system is internal and follows some pretty dramatic cyclical hormone functions in only 28 days throw in puberty, pregnancy, menopause, and abnormal cycles we are a very strong gender.

I've always been the opposite though starting my period was usually a good thing because the depression and cravings of PMS was so strong. I always like to think of it as a renewal or cleansing of the system. Besides the occasional cramp and feeling messy it's always been a welcomed sign.

Lots of water, some dairy might help like yogurts, cottage cheese, a 1-2% milk lots of calcium and vitamin D, I think fruit is also a great snack its high in water and gives you a quick boost of energy, maybe a bit of green tea with a bit of caffeine and some analgesic pain killing properties or nice chamomile tea, pretzels, nuts (macadamias MMMMMM), avocados, this is big ol' NY strip steak time too with a spinach salad, dark dark chocolate better yet cherries are in season now melt some and dip them in there LOL!

Remember it's hibernation and introspection time for women. Don't let other's stress you too much. Take it easy don't worry too much about the natural ebb and flow of your body just listen.