Trip to make Grocerys

Options
Ok, so I go to local grocery store today to try to find foods that will help me stay under on salt and sugar.
Besides raw vegs, some frozen dinners, and lean meats there seems to be very few options.

My goal today <275 sodium and <8 g sugar per serving.
I surprised at just how few things I found.
*Nuts
* low sugar oatmeal

any suggestions?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You can buy oats and make your own oatmeal. Just get rolled or old fashioned or even quick oats. Usually food in it's original state is going to be low sodium/sugar.
  • jem5065
    jem5065 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Okay Im prob not the best to answer this but some things I always try to have on me for quick easy solution when feeling hungry... Eggs (hard boiled) for ease of having them as a snack.. try pepper on them instead of salt to cut back salt that isnt needed.. Yogurt.. i HATED yogurt but to start liking the taste i added some fruit or granola until i could stand the taste plain.. and now i crave it!
    Do you like fish?? fish is one of the healthiest lean meats you can have but if not chicken breast grilled or baked and some nice green veggies is what i normally will do for dinner when i can..

hmmm what things do you like?? to make it easy take those things that you like that are healthy and find ways to make them more active in your diet and lifestyle! thats important.. if its not easy to fit into our daily lives then sometimes we just get off track and clearly discourages easily..

when im really craving chips or a salty crunchy snack i will get rice cakes or nuts and have them instead.. of course all in moderation but they are also an easy substitute with taste :)
  • cajuin
    cajuin Posts: 10
    Options
    Yea, eggs are more stable food. I eat 1 or 2 a day either in something else, scrambled, or boiled.
    ( I actual bake them... 6 eggs at a time in the oven at 330 F for 30 minutes in a muffin pan, then cool in water. Perfect)

Not sure if its any better, but been using Mrs. Dash on most of my food. err its ok . Going to try the hot one next.

I'm eating only 1 or 2 fruits a day due to the sugar levels in them.

Funniest thing I'm only eating probable a 20% of the calories then before I started, but rarely get hungry.

btw THANK YOU for yalls help, pms, and tips! keep them coming.