Quick and Easy vegetable ideas!

Options
Cocozest
Cocozest Posts: 28 Member
Hey everyone,

I'm new to MFP and have been logging close to a month now. Wow.. I'm totally in disabelief, I always thought I ate enough veggies but my diary tells me other wise. So... any delicious, simple and student budget friendly recipes to make vegetables more appealing?

xD So far i've just thrown them into soups or eaten raw veggies with hummus.

Replies

• mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use the birds eye steamable veggies a lot because they are quick and easy! Also they come in light sauces that make them taste really good! You have to watch some of them in the cheese sauces though because they are higher in sodium! Otherwise i just mix up and season the veggies i enjoy. Ive been super addicted to zucchini lately and there are alot of good recipes for making zucchini boats and baked fries. Also sweet potatoes are always good with some chili powder or smoked paprika sprinkled on top!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies. I can stuff a lot of vegetables in a green smoothie! I also like them roasted in the oven with a little coconut oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper and maybe some garlic. Zucchini, asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage are all really good like that.
  • Cocozest
    Cocozest Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yum, both ideas sound good! Thank you knittnponder and Mystikalbeanz
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I personally like most of my veggies just lightly steamed with butter but salads, curries, and stir fries are other great ways to get veggies in.

Here's a zucchini gratin that I love. Of course, it's pretty cheese heavy and easy to eat a lot of, so enjoy with caution.

3478535.jpg?preset=sitethumb

INGREDIENTS

2 cups squash/zucchini
    1/2 sauteed onion
    1 to 1.5 cup parmesan cheese parmesan romano
    2/3 cup heavy cream
    1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    thyme

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice zucchini and summer squash varieties into 2 cups of bite sized chunks.
    Add 1/2 sautéed white onion. Spread mixture over bottom of 8 X 8 buttered glass dish.
    Mix 1-1 1/2 cup parmesan cheese or parmesan/romano blend with 2/3 cup half and half or heavy cream and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
    Pour over squash. Salt and pepper as desired. Add fresh thyme. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender and golden brown.

And a recipe that makes carrots even sweeter.

547b5055519c497eb0a62ec9732b6c55.jpg?preset=sitethumb

INGREDIENTS

About 1kg medium sized carrots (I used multicolor)
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tbsp unpasteurized honey
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp Himalayan or fine salt
    1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
    A handful of chopped fresh parsley to garnish

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 425F
    Brush the carrots under running water. Cut them in half lengthwise and place them in a large mixing bowl.
    In a separate bowl, mix olive oil, garlic, rosemary, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Mix until very well combined and pour over reserved carrots. Mix to coat evenly and spread in a single layer in a shallow baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
    Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once or twice, until the carrots are tender and have taken a nice golden coloration.
    Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
  • YellowNightingale
    YellowNightingale Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Stir fry! Vegetarian meals. I love making my own veggie burgers by mixing sweet potato with black beans
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Roast 'em! Lightly drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and let them roast. Great hot, warm or cold ( add to sandwiches or salad). I make: squash/zucchini, eggplant slices, fennel ( quartered lengthwise), red onion thickly sliced, peppers( I don't eat peppers but if you like them then this is a great method), sweet potato scrubbed and thickly sliced.... Hmmm getting hungry.... If you like herbs then experiment - I usually add a little dried minbt or oregano, or thyme
  • katebowen37
    katebowen37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love making chili because I can throw whatever is in the fridge in there and it will last me a few days. Also, just buy a steamer that fits over a pot and throw whatever you want in there. Little salt, little oil and you're looking good! If you're looking for budget-friendly, frozen is a good way to go, especially when they're on sale. I load up on the carrot/corn/green bean mixes and the broccoli and just make sure I have it as a side with any meal by microwaving for a couple minutes in a tupperware with a loosely set lid and a shot of water.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts with Turkey Bacon, Apple and Shallots

1 pint brussel sprouts, halved
    10 slices turkey bacon
    2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 Shallot
    1 Gala or Red Delicious Apple chopped
    1 garlic clove
    1 TBSP red wine vinegar
    Salt and Pepper

Saute chopped bacon, shallot and garlic in 1 tsp EVOO until brown
    Remove bacon and shallot mixture and set aside
    Add other tsp of EVOO
    Add apple and brussel sprouts season with salt and pepper and red wine vinegar
    saute until softened
    Add bacon mixture back in and toss for 1 minute to combine.

Serves 4
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    bump for recipes
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    thistimewillbedifferent Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I add them to pretty much everything I eat. Turkey sandwich for lunch? Add raw spinach leaves, roasted red peppers, and sliced tomato. Scrambled eggs? Toss in some peppers and onions and serve on top of raw spinach leaves. Making chili? Chop up some carrots and zucchini and toss them in along with some corn. Last night I made pizza, but added finely chopped broccoli, peppers, onions, cucumbers (an experiment which turned out great), and green beans. Whenever I eat tuna from a can/jar/pouch, I add finely chopped celery, apple, green beans, and peppers. And so on...
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    WASH THEM REALLY WELL ;) raw veggies are best!
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    another vote for roasting.... roasting changes everything about a vegetable... any vegetable you currently hate you will love when roasted.... no exceptions.

brussels sprouts
    broccoli
    you name it.

try grilling them too. grilled asparagus with olive oil and parmesan cheese is a wild hit with my 11 and 13 year old girls.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    another vote for roasting.... roasting changes everything about a vegetable... any vegetable you currently hate you will love when roasted.... no exceptions.

brussels sprouts
    broccoli
    you name it.

try grilling them too. grilled asparagus with olive oil and parmesan cheese is a wild hit with my 11 and 13 year old girls.

this 100%