What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• charlenequinn94
    Options

Half a cheesecake? WOW. Time to start logging EVERYTHING so you can see exactly what you're doing wrong. I think the "off days" and the "half a cheesecake" might have something to do with why you're not losing weight.
    [/quote]

I felt really guilty after that cheesecake >_< I log everything Sunday - Thursday
    [/quote]
    Even do Friday and Saturday. You can friend me and take a look at my food diary. I log everyday of the week especially on my one off day.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

I felt really guilty after that cheesecake >_< I log everything Sunday - Thursday

Guilty? I'd feel sick. 1/8 of a pie is more than enough to settle me. Are you sure you aren't prone to binge eating?
  • yokosuka324
    yokosuka324 Posts: 24
    Options
    After taking a peek at your diary, it looks like you just eat a lot of processed foods and sugars. And unless you aren't logging everything you aren't taking in enough calories either. Taking days off also will hurt you and you will constantly be stuck in a yo-yo diet pattern with little to no results.

I usually get pretty close to my calorie intake but am absolutely terrified of eating after 8pm. I work until 11:15pm so I usually get home around midnight. Any suggestions?

Yes....don't be terrified to eat after 8.

I always thought it was a weight loss killer to eat after 8pm so I never do, which cuts out a major opportunity to eat since I usually get up at 10am, get to the gym by 11:30am, stretch for 30 mins, go to spinning class from 12pm-12:50pm, do weight training from 1pm-1:30-2pm then get to work.

That's an old-wives' tale. Your metabolism never shuts down. If it did, you'd be dead. Your body is always going, always digesting. Just making your brain function takes a large amount of your daily calories, and you're brain is ALWAYS working.

Frankly, I seriously doubt you're eating as well as you say. I peeked at your diary, and it's not so good. Also, depending on your height, age, and weight, you might not even be consuming enough calories considering your extreme exercising routine.

And I'd log every single day that you possibly can. It helps so much. Even if you go over on your calories, just account for it and move on.

I've been eating pretty bad the past couple of days definitely. If you go back though you'll see nothing but fish, chicken breast and all that jazz. For some reason that one day I really did only eat one can of soup. I just wasn't hungry at all that day. I don't usually log Friday and Saturday but I will do so going forward to make sure I'm not going too crazy.
  • yokosuka324
    Options

Guilty? I'd feel sick. 1/8 of a pie is more than enough to settle me. Are you sure you aren't prone to binge eating?

Whoa I think it's been misinterpreted. I meant half a cheesecake slice >_> Not half of an entire cheesecake. Definitely not a binge eater.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    From what I see you are under eating some days, loading on sodium others and not logging on a lot of days. I would try to nail down your journalling and not go too low.

Balance is the key. Good luck to you.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Not to sound negative but there is no way you can gain 3.5 lbs of muscle in 9 days!

This... especially as a female. Gaining this much muscle in less than two weeks is impossible. You can gain maybe 10lbs a year if all conditions are right. Get your numbers re checked as the ones you have are false. Don't forget, those scales measure lean body mass .. not just muscle. Lean body mass is everything but the fat... organs, muscle, water.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this a troll thread but:

track every day
    hit macros
    eat whenever you want

and no you didn't gain 3.5lbs of muscle in 9 days.
  • yokosuka324
    Options
    Not to sound negative but there is no way you can gain 3.5 lbs of muscle in 9 days!

This... especially as a female. Gaining this much muscle in less than two weeks is impossible. You can gain maybe 10lbs a year if all conditions are right. Get your numbers re checked as the ones you have are false. Don't forget, those scales measure lean body mass .. not just muscle. Lean body mass is everything but the fat... organs, muscle, water.

I've actually had my numbers rechecked and it stays pretty much the same +/- 1 lb of fat. I'll post the actual result pictures when I get home. I also measured myself before my work out at pretty much the same time to ensure I didn't have too much water and that I wasn't dehydrated
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

track every day
    hit macros
    eat whenever you want

^This.
  • Moobs2Go
    Moobs2Go Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it seems like you have heard some bad info. Eating after 8 is not bad. Eating CARBS after 8 is bad. Now it is recomended to eat 5-6 small meals a day. The reason being is that the smalls meals spread out over the day keep your metabolsim going strong all day. If you stop eating at 8 and do not get up until 10 that is 14 hours your body has not had food. This will send your body into starvation mode which shuts down your metabolism. No not completely, but it slows it down quite a bit. This is your bodies natural defense against starvation from the dawn of man when food was scarse and your body would have to conserve its food supply until you could find a new source. Unfortunatly our bodies still do this.

You seem to be doing very well with your diet. I would suggest cutting out processed food and logging the weekends as well, and try eating a salad with a lean protien at night and then some casein protein or some fat free cottage cheese before bed to keep your metabolism going all night long. This will also help you maintain and build lean muscle.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it seems like you have heard some bad info. Eating after 8 is not bad. Eating CARBS after 8 is bad. Now it is recomended to eat 5-6 small meals a day. The reason being is that the smalls meals spread out over the day keep your metabolsim going strong all day. If you stop eating at 8 and do not get up until 10 that is 14 hours your body has not had food. This will send your body into starvation mode which shuts down your metabolism. No not completely, but it slows it down quite a bit. This is your bodies natural defense against starvation from the dawn of man when food was scarse and your body would have to conserve its food supply until you could find a new source. Unfortunatly our bodies still do this.

You seem to be doing very well with your diet. I would suggest cutting out processed food and logging the weekends as well, and try eating a salad with a lean protien at night and then some casein protein or some fat free cottage cheese before bed to keep your metabolism going all night long. This will also help you maintain and build lean muscle.

The eating after a certain time myth has been busted - fyi. So...no. Eat when you are hungry and however many times that works for you. If 3 meals with a couple snacks work, do that. 4-6 small meals..do that. There is no right or wrong in that.
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    Eating CARBS after 8 is bad.

No
    Now it is recomended to eat 5-6 small meals a day. The reason being is that the smalls meals spread out over the day keep your metabolsim going strong all day. If you stop eating at 8 and do not get up until 10 that is 14 hours your body has not had food. This will send your body into starvation mode which shuts down your metabolism.

False

---

OP... your numbers from the trainer are wrong. It is IMPOSSIBLE to gain that much muscle in such short time. Impossible! It is lean body mass measured not just muscle. You tend to LOSE muscle in a deficit.
  • yokosuka324
    Options
    dcf9267e-fcc9-4578-9e33-08218c6a0af8.jpg
  • yokosuka324
    Options

No
    Now it is recomended to eat 5-6 small meals a day. The reason being is that the smalls meals spread out over the day keep your metabolsim going strong all day. If you stop eating at 8 and do not get up until 10 that is 14 hours your body has not had food. This will send your body into starvation mode which shuts down your metabolism.

False

---

OP... your numbers from the trainer are wrong. It is IMPOSSIBLE to gain that much muscle in such short time. Impossible! It is lean body mass measured not just muscle. You tend to LOSE muscle in a deficit.

Now THAT makes sense. So what could be the cause in LBM gain?
  • thisismeraw
    Options
    Your muscle did not increase... Your FFM increased which is everything other than fat in the body (water, muscle organs, bone, tissue, etc)
  • thisismeraw
    Options

No

False

---

Most likely water weight changes. My post above... the FFM increase is other than fat in your body.. so muscle, water, bone, tissue, organs, etc. In your case I would bet your water weight has increased.

If you look at your printout there is something labelled as TBW which shows an increase of 2.5lbs ... TBW is water weight.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

No

False

---

Most likely water weight changes. My post above... the FFM increase is other than fat in your body.. so muscle, water, bone, tissue, organs, etc. In your case I would bet your water weight has increased.

If you look at your printout there is something labelled as TBW which shows an increase of 2.5lbs ... TBW is water weight.

^^ This. If you recently started working out (or working out more heavily than you have been) you are probably retaining water. You probably actually lost 2.5 lbs of fat but the water retention makes your weight stay the same. It will probably begin to drop off.

Also, definitely log every day even "cheat" days or "off" days just so that you can tell what your weekly deficit actually is.
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options

track every day
    hit macros
    eat whenever you want

^^ This
    First of all you cant expect to lose weight over night.
    Second of all, your eating is not even close to being healthy.
    Third of all, rule is always the same. Spend more calories than what you are eating.
    Log everying, stop eating out all the time, reduce sodium, eat smaller meals and more aften to keep your metabolism up and running, make sure your sugar level is steady throughout the day so you dont get cravings, drink planty of water, and exercise. Figure out what your calorie intake should be and stick to it and you will lose weight eventually.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have been on here since Sept 1st 2012. I usually only log during the week. I don't use Quick add calories. I log everything except water and gum. I eat after 8 pm. I eat what ever I want as long as I can fit it in my calorie budget. Most of my exercise is walking. The first month I was on here I lost 8.4 lbs. If my food is in grams, oz. or cups I weigh it on my scale. My top weight was 202. I was 190 when I started on here. This site works but you have to use it properly.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    bioimpedance devices are notoriously inaccurate because of hydration changes e.g. I tested then drank 1L of water and my BF% went up 2%.

Take pics/measurements