Ouch! I tore my calf muscle. Now how do I work out?

Options
I was doing so well, working out almost every day. My calves were tight. When I hauled my garbage can up my steep driveway, (running), I hear a pop. Dr said the muscle is torn and may take some time to heal. What can I do in the meantime to not let all the fitness I developed to atrophy!

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sucks. I have no idea what to tell you about using your legs, this is a question for your doctor, but you could still lift weights with your arms.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    To get cardio in - throw punches. Not sure if you can get into a wide squat - then just start punching away. It will get your heart rate up in no time.
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    AWE! I'm really sorry!!!! That just sucksssssssss!!

I have no suggestions other than my sympathy.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Ice it as many times a day as you can, 20-30 minutes a pop. Gentle stretching (unless it is completely torn, but ti doens't sound that way). Bike, Swimming, Upper Body exercises (pushups would be great!). Continue working out the other leg if you can (single leg heel raises), there is scientific evidence of cross over strengthening, minimal, but if you work the uninvolved side, you will game SOME strength on the involved side, or at least decrease some chances of atrophy.
    Most of all, don't push it, let it heal!!
  • jonigayle
    Options
    Thank you Summerblunden. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I'll do as you suggest.

Hang in there yourself. Our bodies are the only thing we own for our whole lives. I know you can reach your goal!
  • jonigayle
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your conern and support. I'll do what I can until I can do all I can!
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Keep us posted. And don't let an injury keep you down. Make sure especially now you're tracking every calorie, you body needs them to heal. Good luck!!