Protein

Options
What are some good ways to incorporate protein into my diet that is NOT meat.

I absolutely love the Naked Protein Chocolate drink I had today but it has too much sugar.

I need suggestions!

Replies

• Emjay70
    Emjay70 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the whey protein powder mix? You can find it at Walmart and GNC in many delicious flavors.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you are Vegetarian/Vegan, try Vega One (it's a vitamin and protein supplement)

If you're OK with dairy protein, Optimum Whey Gold Standard is a great brand of whey.

Happy Shaking!
  • JessCowles
    JessCowles Posts: 11
    Options
    Smart smoothies for protein for breakfast and after a workout
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the whey protein powder mix? You can find it at Walmart and GNC in many delicious flavors.

Just be care with whey powders.. many incorporate soy in them, which is very bad for woman who survived breast cancer. Soy, in the human body, mimics estrogen.

Edit
    Go with legumes. A nice vegan soup... nothing from a can due to sodium issues.
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use the RAW protien from Garden of Life. It's Vegan, Gluten free AND no junk. I need to eat a lot of protien, so I use that, eggs, nuts
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein chocolate shakes have 30 grams of protein, 160 calories and only 1 gram of sugar.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Definitely protein powder, you can do the research on the best, I generally go for cheapest and spend my money on better food. If you're okay with soy, tofu and tempeh are awesome and super fast and easy to prepare. Also beans, especially lentils, are very high in protein. Beans can also be high in carbs though too, so you might have to watch that. If you eat animal products, greek yogurt is AMAZING and high in protein. Also, eggs. ALLLLL the eggs.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I second Greek Yogurt! That stuff if amazing.
  • mkyle1988
    mkyle1988 Posts: 19
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is AMAZING. Also nuts are a fantastic source of protein.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you're not vegan, then dairy - lowfat milk, cheese, yogurt (especially as said, Greek yogurt). Eggs - the yolks have a bit of cholesterol - the protein is in the white. I usually don't eat the yolks but this is more because I don't like egg yolk.

Nuts - almonds, peanuts, cashews - also nut butters like peanut butter - these do have some fat (it's the healthier non-saturated fat) and quite a few calories, but protein-wise they're great.

Soy products like tofu as well.
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you're not vegan, then dairy - lowfat milk, cheese, yogurt (especially as said, Greek yogurt). Eggs - the yolks have a bit of cholesterol - the protein is in the white. I usually don't eat the yolks but this is more because I don't like egg yolk.

Nuts - almonds, peanuts, cashews - also nut butters like peanut butter - these do have some fat (it's the healthier non-saturated fat) and quite a few calories, but protein-wise they're great.

Soy products like tofu as well.

The protein is not only in the eggwhite. Roughly half (or maybe 60/40 one way or the other) of the protein is in the yolk. Plus a lot of nutrients and quality fats that are not in the white.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ilove premier protein drinks. Low in sugar. I love to put ice and cold coffee in them and make a mocha :)