fitness myths to avoid! this helped me so much!

Options

Replies

• Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    thanks for the tip!:flowerforyou:
  • madjo
    madjo Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for this - good read and makes me feel better about being a walker not a runner :-)
  • missjo113
    Options
    bump... so I can find this to read it later...
    Thanks
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I agree with point number 1. I burn significantly more calories per mile when running than when walking. Maybe that is just me but I am guessing its between 30-40 more calories per mile. I do between 12 and 15 miles per week running right now. That calorie burn will help lose an extra 1/2 pound per month. And when I up my mileage that number will increase.
  • Emi_the_dork
    Options
    i tested it out last night..i went the same time first time i ran the other i walked....its right you burn the same and cover the same distance
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    TCASMEY- the principle is that moving the same muscles in the same way, regardless of speed burns the same amount of caloies. Each step burns the same amount of calories. If you are burning slightly more calories running, its probably because you are taking more (but shorter) steps within the same distance, If you were to really stretch your stride (cross country skier style) you'd burn fewer calories because you'd fit in fewer steps.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I disagree with 4 out of 5 of these.

In fact, If myth 1 concerns you, you are not athlete enough to even worry about number 5.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    "In fact, studies have proved that how long you exercise matters more than how hard you exercise."

I completely disagree with this one. I know that intense intervals work far better for overall fitness.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Meh...I think that article is misleading in some ways. If I were writing it then it would say this:

True or False?

1. Walking is not as effective as running.

TRUE. Mile for mile you will burn near the same calories walking as you will running, but minute for minute you will burn far more calories running than you will walking...and the faster you run the more calories you'll burn. Plus you get cardio and respiratory benefits from running that you'll never get from walking. Walking is good. Running is better. Want to get the most benefit from your time on the streets, trails or treadmill? Run.

2. Exercise increases hunger

TRUE. Why do you think MFP adds calories to your day when you exercise? Of course, you don't HAVE to eat more, but common sense should tell you that if your body burns calories it's going to want something to replace those calories. It doesn't WANT to lose weight. Your appetite may be suppressed after a hard workout...for a while...but your body will want more food on days that you work harder. Our bodies need energy and food is your body's first source to look for that energy. It's just like gas in your car.

Disclaimer** This doesn't mean you get to eat as much as you want just because you exercised a lot. You still have to maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight.

3. It doesn't matter where your calories come from

FALSE. It absolutely matters where your calories come from. Calories are not all created equal. Everything the author said on this topic is right on the money.

4. Diet alone is enough for sustained weight loss

TRUE. You absolutely can lose weight from dieting alone. As long as you are ingesting fewer calories than your body is burning you will lose weight. It's simple math. That being said, we all know the benefits that come from exercise. Losing weight without exercising is a big mistake in my opinion, but it can be done and it can be done long term.

Disclaimer** I HIGHLY recommend a good mix of resistance training and cardio exercises for everyone (whether they are trying to lose weight or not).

5. There is no best time for exercise

FALSE. The best time to exercise is whenever your schedule allows you to do it consistently. Being consistent about working out is far more important than the time of day you work out, so choose a time with the fewest conflicts so that you don't decrease your chances of working out.