Smelly guy at the gym

Options

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Its not ammonia keto stank is it?

Put some vicks vaporub under your nose and lift like a champ! That oughtta block it out or create the nastiest tingly mint funk youve ever experienced.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

there's a big difference between the smell of fresh sweat and the smell of haven't taken a shower and/or washed these clothes for a while. also, the smell of BO and unwashed clothes is different

That's what the people who don't approve of antiperspirant say, and it's true, but fresh sweat can reek too.

it doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as sweat that hasn't been washed off for a week though....!!

(btw I use deodorant and antipersperant!!)
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Ask him out on a date....make him your pretend boyfriend......then give him deodorant for a gift....then say, its not you its me,

lmao!!!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but my first thought when reading the title was Pheobe from Friends. "Smelly guy, smelly guy, why are you so smellyyyyy?"

lmao!! what are they feeding u??? lol
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Ok - so I go to the gym at 5.30am before work - it's a 24 hr gym and there are no staff there until 8.30am.

There is a young guy there that smells so bad of BO!! I can usually put my ear phones on and zone people out but the smell is so extreme that I cannot work out near him - which sux as we both weight train. It is seriously over powering and the area is not large enough for me to get away from it.

I know its not just me because I have seen many others sniff, search and avoid.

If it was me I would be fine about someone pulling me aside to whisper in my ear to re-iterate the use of deoderant but I'm not sure if I should approach him.

I'm no princess and I get that people sweat and all that - but this guy is just horrendous.

What would you do?

Tough situation. Bad BO can bring tears to your eyes. If you wanted to be overt about it - you could bring a small spray bottle of OdoBan. You can get it at Home Depot in a gallon of concentrate. This stuff can kill cat spray odor. Just not sure if you would spray in the air or on the guy. But then again you could potentially be charged with assault by deodorant.

Edited to add a serious note: if the guy smells that bad - he really should be informed of the situation. He may become so embarrassed that he never returns to the gym. He may be working out early because he is aware of his body odor (less traffic in the early AM). He may just be saving the shower for after the workout. Do you notice if he showers after the workout?

Hard to know how he will react but he should be told.
  • xALEXANDROx
    xALEXANDROx Posts: 3,416 Member
    Options
    talk about motivation .:bigsmile:
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    Call him out. I've called a couple people out the last few months and I haven't seen them since I said something.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If you are afraid of confrontation and don't want to go to the gym staff... watch and see what car he goes to when he's done lifting. Prepare an insult-free note expressing your concern and that if he wasn't aware of his BO he may want to check himself before he comes to the gym. But also let him know that you ARE prepared to bring it to the attention of the gym staff. The next time you see his car just put the note under his wiper blade.

You should give him the chance to correct it himself.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    This same thing happens to me with women and perfume. Some women BATHE in the *kitten* and then come to the gym and do cardio and sweat, making the smells even more pungent. Just put on deodorant and get it done.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you talk to him, be ready for him to be allergic to antiperspirant, ideologically opposed to antiperspirant, or convinced that it's going to give him either Alzheimer's, cancer, or both.

I have sensitive skin and I use baking soda scented with a few drops of lavender and tea tree essential oils. It totally does the job.
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    RickNeedzToGetShreaded Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's a gym for christs sakes everyone sweats, if you aren't sweating wtf are you in the gym for?
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Buy a deodorant and either (a) stick it in his gym bag with a message " Try using this, stinker" or (b) as he passes by, pretend to pick it up from the floor and say "Ermmm excuse me I think you may have drop this..?" :wink:
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Do you know if he ever uses the lockers at the gym? Maybe a polite post it note on his locker, or somewhere only he may frequent?
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Offer to bathe him.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I worked with someone who had terrible BO. I mean terrible and it was actually caused by a medical condition he had. It was a big issue at work and caused a lot of problems.

I would talk to someone at the gym and express your concerns about it.

That makes me feel like a jerk.

Because while I've never been a jerk to someone smelly, I'm INCREDIBLY annoyed by it. I always thought there was just absolutely NO excuse for it. Back in highschool my locker was assigned about 4 or 5 lockers down from a girl who was so smelly I would avoid my locker the entire day
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It's a gym for christs sakes everyone sweats, if you aren't sweating wtf are you in the gym for?

Reading comprehension eludes you.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I'm well aware of this but this guy is sooo bad - old stale pungeant sweat that just seems to radiate off him - it's not just me, people around me smell it too - no-one seems to train around him, which is great for him but not so good for the rest of us trying to get a work out in. Just trying to find a diplomatic solution.

Thanks all.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Put some menthol under your nose, that's what coroners do to mask the smell of rotting flesh :)~
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Breathe through your mouth.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Do the American thing, sue him for spoiling your gym time.

Better yet, get him served when he arrives at the gym so you do not have to put up with it.

Or maybe be polite and mention to him that he has really bad BO and suggest nicely that he needs to change his gym kit on a regular basis and maybe shower before he works out ?

Nah, that is so NOT the American way, sue him into oblivion.....