is starvation mode a myth?

Options
I ask this because I walk everywhere so burn a lot of calories but I also eat an average of 1200 calories a day. I feel full I'm losing steady weight and I'm sleeping better than ever.

I ask this because today if I do all I need to do I'm going to be in the minus points for net calories! I don't want to jeopardise my health by eating too much or too little any advice gratefully received

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if over a week you eat enough good food to get the minerals and vitamins you need with a sensible amount of protein and fats then your health requirements are covered.

If you're 200+ lbs you have some fat reserves to supply your calorie deficit.

I doubt you do 1200 calories of walking, to be honest. Convince me :-)
  • alyngard
    alyngard Posts: 103
    Options
    I won't get too much into it because I'm sure others will....just be prepared for what you hear (it's all very contradictory). That being said, I eat around 1200, but I am 5'2" women. You are a man, and hopefully taller than that!! So I would say for you, yes, it's not enough. I wouldn't worry about going into "starvation mode" after only eating that way for a few weeks though.
  • alyngard
    alyngard Posts: 103
    Options
    if over a week you eat enough good food to get the minerals and vitamins you need with a sensible amount of protein and fats then your health requirements are covered.

If you're 200+ lbs you have some fat reserves to supply your calorie deficit.

I doubt you do 1200 calories of walking, to be honest. Convince me :-)

Also THIS ^^
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    It is not a myth, but it is not "easy" to get there. You could go a long time, especially if you have excess body fat, without actually being in starvation mode. People act like if they eat 1200 calories for a week they will deteriorate to nothing. I'm sure after a LONG time of eating that way they will, but it isn't going to kill you for a small amount of time.

That being said, you are what looks to be an over 20 year old man. There is no reason for you to eat 1200 calories, it's just not how your body was built to run. You can't run a car without efficient fuel. I know how you feel about having a lot of energy, sleeping better, and all that. The body tricks you. I felt so energetic, never tired, and all that. But I realized what harm I was doing to my body by not giving it the fuel it needed whether or not I felt it was enough. Sometimes feeling "full" isn't a good indicator of whether or not you are getting enough nutrients/calories.

Another thing to think about is muscle. Do you want muscle, or do you want to be very small and have extra flab when you're done losing weight? I see you want to lose 50 pounds. By the end of that, eating at 1200 calories, and doing only cardio (assuming you do, since you said you walk so much) will leave you unhappy with how you look, in most cases. Your muscles need food and resistance to grow and develop, and 1200 is not going to cut it. How is your protein intake as well? That's another thing you should worry about.

Anyways, TL;DR version is Starvation mode can happen when you don't eat enough calories for a very extended period of time. Look at the little African children. and 2. Eat more or you'll regret it. You WILL adapt to eating more, because you didn't gain weight from eating less than 1200. I never thought I could eat more than 800 when I first started, but I obviously corrected that and I currently eat between 1300-1600. I'm a 5'3 woman.
  • john0804
    john0804 Posts: 31
    Options
    I'm 5`9" 207 lbs and I'm 33

goal is 180-160 with body fat of 10%

Regarding the walking on an average day I walk 3 hours =1.5 hours to train station for work each way or an average of 5 miles. I'll admit I'm going from the calories MFP says I burn rather than my own calculations.

Today I'll a total of 7 miles. Feel free to correct me though.

I do light weight because at the moment I'd rather retain what muscle I have rather than concentrate on building more but knowing myself that might well change.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Walking speed ..... Calories/mile ..... Calories/hour
    <2mph (dawdling) ....... ? ................ 77
    2mph (slow) ............. 70 ............... 140
    2.8-3.2mph (brisk) ..... 63 ............... 190
    4mph (fast) ............... 77 ............... 300

Cals are additional to what is used sitting down. I think you're walking at the lower end (5 miles in 3 hours ??) but i may have misunderstood.
  • john0804
    Options
    Cool yeah I'm never in too much of a rush to get to work, it's usually 1.5 in the morning and 1.5 in the evening after standing all day at work
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you are eating good food then I would say worry about this if your weight loss begins to stall - ie little or nothing lost for 4+ weeks. If it aint broke...
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure you are eating enough to maintain your muscle mass.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's not a myth, but it's not what many seem to think it is either.

In a nutshell, for your body to go into "starvation mode" you need a low body fat % so there is less fat available as an energy source.

Do yourself a favour an look up the "Minnesota Starvation Experiment" to get some genuine, first-hand, information.
  • DylansMrsJones
    DylansMrsJones Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you would need to be eating under 500 calories for an extended period of time until you have 10% body fat (in your case you would probably need to weigh about 100lbs for this to happen). Going under 1200 for a day is not going to make this happen.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I ask this because I walk everywhere so burn a lot of calories but I also eat an average of 1200 calories a day. I feel full I'm losing steady weight and I'm sleeping better than ever.

I ask this because today if I do all I need to do I'm going to be in the minus points for net calories! I don't want to jeopardise my health by eating too much or too little any advice gratefully received

I walk a lot, too, as in 3-7 miles a day. I leave my car in the driveway, walk to work, walk home, walk for errands, walk my dog, etc. Sometimes I eat my exercise calories back and sometimes I don't. Sometimes my net is very low, sometimes not low. I'm not hungry, have loads of energy, and am losing 1-2 pounds a week (2 months at this). My guideline is I eat the exercise calories back if I'm hungry and don't if I'm not hungry.

The other day I thought about the millions of peasant farmers, laborers, fishermen, etc. in countries all over the world that have several set meals a day and that's it... they work hard.... I doubt they all eat their exercise calories back every day and they're a lot healthier than I am with my blubber.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    starvation mode as used in most MFP forums/threads is a myth. You have to eat nothing for 72 hours for your body to start to go into starvation mode. At that point, your body will start to turn on itself for energy ..i.e. turn to muscle for energy instead of fat loss.

If you are eating 1200 calories a day you will not go into starvation mode.

now, if you under eat for a long time you may suffer a lower metabolism but that is NOT starvation mode.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It is not a myth, but it is not "easy" to get there. You could go a long time, especially if you have excess body fat, without actually being in starvation mode. People act like if they eat 1200 calories for a week they will deteriorate to nothing. I'm sure after a LONG time of eating that way they will, but it isn't going to kill you for a small amount of time.

That being said, you are what looks to be an over 20 year old man. There is no reason for you to eat 1200 calories, it's just not how your body was built to run. You can't run a car without efficient fuel. I know how you feel about having a lot of energy, sleeping better, and all that. The body tricks you. I felt so energetic, never tired, and all that. But I realized what harm I was doing to my body by not giving it the fuel it needed whether or not I felt it was enough. Sometimes feeling "full" isn't a good indicator of whether or not you are getting enough nutrients/calories.

Another thing to think about is muscle. Do you want muscle, or do you want to be very small and have extra flab when you're done losing weight? I see you want to lose 50 pounds. By the end of that, eating at 1200 calories, and doing only cardio (assuming you do, since you said you walk so much) will leave you unhappy with how you look, in most cases. Your muscles need food and resistance to grow and develop, and 1200 is not going to cut it. How is your protein intake as well? That's another thing you should worry about.

Anyways, TL;DR version is Starvation mode can happen when you don't eat enough calories for a very extended period of time. Look at the little African children. and 2. Eat more or you'll regret it. You WILL adapt to eating more, because you didn't gain weight from eating less than 1200. I never thought I could eat more than 800 when I first started, but I obviously corrected that and I currently eat between 1300-1600. I'm a 5'3 woman.

why can't the OP eat 1200?? He said he is steadily losing and feels great...

OP if it is working for you keep doing it...if you start to stall out then re-asess at that point. Everyone will come in here and say "eat more eat more, it worked for me.." news flash, what works for someone else may not work for you. I eat about 2500 to 2800 a day, and I do not think that would work for you ..

Listen to your body ....if you are losing and feel great do it..if you start to feel not so great and plateau out then it is time to re-adjust...
  • Rav3nfan
    Rav3nfan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Burning 1200 calories can be achieved in one day by walking depending on terrain, how fast one is walking, etc. My question would be if you are intaking food during the course of the day and you burn 1200 walking neither of these are occurring simultaneously so is it possible to actualy be in the negative.

I burned 2340 calories backingpacking 10 miles in one day with a 35lb pack.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Well, he could if he wanted to. I was just giving advice based on the majority of situations. It's rare for men to be able to last a long time eating that way. Not that NO man could, just that the general majority can't. I added in my experiences with eating low calorie and how I felt personally great, but once I began eating more I realized that it was a form of trickery from my own body. What you eat should depend more on your activity level, amount of nutrients, and incorporate BMR and TDEE. If he walks that much I doubt his BMR is under 1200. Perhaps his body CAN survive off 1200, but it's not the norm. He can do what he wants, I'm just trying to help :)

why can't the OP eat 1200?? He said he is steadily losing and feels great...

OP if it is working for you keep doing it...if you start to stall out then re-asess at that point. Everyone will come in here and say "eat more eat more, it worked for me.." news flash, what works for someone else may not work for you. I eat about 2500 to 2800 a day, and I do not think that would work for you ..

Listen to your body ....if you are losing and feel great do it..if you start to feel not so great and plateau out then it is time to re-adjust...
  • john0804
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I checked out the BMR for the size I want to be and I'm choosing to aim for that now rather then 1200 a day as I said I am doing strength training but not heavy weights just some to preserve the muscle mass I have I'm going to evaluate the situation at 10 pound intervals and stop when I am happy whether that 160 or higher who knows