Working out...waiting for results :-(

Options
Hello

So, from what I have read I'm most likely being inpatient. My boyfriend and I have joined a gym and have been going for 2 weeks. We have cut out carbs apart from some whole meal bread at lunch (need sandwiches for work) everything else is meat, egg, veg and fruit. Cut down on fizzy drinks and increased water intake.

My boyfriend used to workout and although had gained weight he kept muscles. I have never worked out EVER and have zero muscles and lots of wiggly fat.

When working out I am doing:
30 min on bike
30 min on treadmill (average mile in 20 min) - can't run cause I jiggle but walk fast and get my heart rate up
30 min weights (kettle weight and squat, weight machines etc)

Go to gym 3-5 times a week.

In 2 weeks he has lost 7lb and I have lost 4lb although it seems I've put some back on (some days all of it)

All the website say you get results after 2 weeks or so and I'm really struggling to see the light at the end if the tunnel. We are eating the same (generally) I've always been a carb lover and I've really cut that out and I'd expect from that alone to be loosibg weight!

Why is he loosing and I'm not, when will I look and feel different?

Help...I want results!

Replies

• Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is healthy weight loss. Typically men do lose easier than women. If you are staying within your caloric goal, pushing yourself hard in the gym, and staying positive, results will happen. 4-6 weeks is a good time frame to really notice results. Sometimes, you may not see it initially on the scale, but you'll notice a difference in the way your clothes fit. Just keep at it! And keep asking questions!
  • fruitpie09
    fruitpie09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's not fair men loose weight so quickly although my boyfriend has worked out a lot previously so guess his body is used to it. Thank you for reassuring me.

Hard to switch my mind from dieting to loose weight and it dropping off to working out and calorie watching and it not dropping the same.

Hopefully by the end of June my feelings will of changed.

Thank you xx
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Everyone is different hun. I didn't start losing weight til after my 4 week mark. Just gotta stick with it
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, unfortunately men, in general, loose faster. 2 pounds a week is amazing. Actually any more than that would be too fast. Don't be too restrictive on your diet, a diet that denies you everything you love will not succeed. Be sure to work in a reasonable amount of the things you love. If you don't you will decide one day that you can't take it anymore. Don't deny yourself whole food groups. However, be reasonable (actually it sounds like you are). I agree with cutting down on the carbs and I do love my sandwiches. I've take to having really mega half sandwiches. In other words, one slice of bread with the normal amount of insides LOL. Hang in there, it will pay off.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Human male evolved to be a hunter over millions of years to provide for the female and their offsprings. His body has greater percentage of muscle, and is hormonally geared to build even more when put to work. It is what it is.

Two weeks is a very short time when you're doing weight loss and exercise the right way. You gained weight in years, losing them can take just as long.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and check back in a few weeks. You cannot expect a radical change in two weeks.

It took you years to reach the point you are at now, you cant expect to undo it all in two weeks.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You lose weight with a calorie deficit, not by working out.

The point of "working out" is to preserve or build lean mass and increase fitness and cardiovascular efficiency. I dislike the idea of "working out" anyway, because it's not something people will do long-term. Training is similar to working out, but there are specific goals in mind: a certain level of strength, being able to run 5 miles in a certain time, a certain body fat percentage, etc. Goal-oriented training is far better than working out, even though both look similar.

So stick with it. Make sure you are hitting your nutrient (calorie + macro) goals every day. The change will come.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Also, I never understood where the claim that men lose weight faster than women comes from. They don't.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    This is a tortoise race girl. No one ever changed significantly in two weeks. Keep with it. In the long run, you will see results. Don't worry about how fast you are going compared to anyone else. Your body is unique. Agreed, 2 lbs a week is excellent.
  • fruitpie09
    fruitpie09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2 weeks in and nothing has changed on the scales!

Positives - feeling good for going to the gym
    I have what may just be a bigger bicep
    I can do squats SO much better
    I think some clothes feeling different and better

Negatives - People who know I am going to the gym keep asking 'have you lost any weight' - it makes me want to punch them
    I have not lost any weight (but have a different relationship with them now - think I be overjoyed when they change but for now they dont have to)
    I really dont want to be social at the moment - all i want is to work, gym and when not at the gym or work i want to focus on my diet and make sure thats in the right place - sad to say no wild nights out, cinema visists (I cannot resist popcorn) and worst of all no meals with friends or dates with the boyfriend :-(

Hoping to re-post in a few weeks saying I have lost and am starting to see a difference.

All in all, I have chilled out about seeing results (dont get me wrong i still want results NOW but have relaised it will take time)

Will be worth it when i am in my bikini in October on holiday :-)

Thank you everyone
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Yep you're impatient. 2 weeks is hardly anytime. In fact I ACCLIMATE my clients to the gym in 2 weeks. Then the real fun begins. Trust when I say that it's gonna be at least a month before numbers really start to change for any significance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    1. Train, don't workout:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jq2122/view/why-you-should-stop-working-out-and-start-training-534877

and

2. re: jiggling. Get some spandex. Seriously. Made me SO MUCH LESS self-conscious. I now (still) wear them under my shorts whenever I work out (train). When things ain't slappin' around, it's easier. :wink:
  • itsmandible
    itsmandible Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You have to remember, it took steady time to put on the weight and it's going to take steady time to take it off! Knowing that you're being impatient is good - use that to remind yourself when you're feeling unmotivated.