Has anyone given up bread pasta and potatoes?

Options

Replies

• chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Nope. I could never give up bread. I'm still losing while I'm eating it that's all that matters. I did stop eating/buying cheese and a ton of red meat. I rarely eat those now.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta, rice, potatoes and bread for a month when I got engaged in 2007 and then just limited it. I did lose weight, and also worked out a lot. I got married in Aug 2008 and was pregnant a month later. I craved carbs and ended up putting on weight because I'd restricted carbs before. Same happened in my 2nd pregnancy. So this time I have lost weight while still eating bread, rice and potatoes. I don't really eat pasta though. I limit myself to 2 slices of bread a day, and I often have either rice or potatoeswith dinner. Sometimes I have sweet potato instead.

I think it's best just to eat in moderation, not cutting anything out.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    NOPE, NOT A CHANCE!!! I was born and raised on meat & potatoes and I love rice with chicken, pork, stir-fry, veggies, etc. HOWEVER, I do control my intake.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Anyone that has given up bread and pasta and potatoes isit hard to stick with?

No. I like being happy. Bread, pasta and potatoes make me happy.
    There's no need to cut anything from your diet. Just eat less.

^^^ this to the power of a thousand suns. why would you do that?

This for me too. I eat toasted oatmeal bread for breakfast every morning. I don't eat as many russet potatoes as I used to do, but that's because they tend to have a lot of calories (because they're huge around here, you can't get a small one) and I prefer red potatoes anyway.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I gave up pasta (voluntarily) because I just can't seem to moderate it. It feels less stressful just to not eat it. Potatoes I mostly gave up because meh there are other things I want to use my calories on. Bread, no way I can give up. I don't eat as much as I used to but I love a good artisan bread.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up anything. I'm not going to be one of those people freaking out and wringing their hands because the extended family wants to go to Olive Garden and "Oh my goodness, what can I even eat from there??????"

Uhhh, no.

Pasta, potatoes, rice, cake, candy, cookies, ice cream, etc. - it has all stayed in my diet. I only eat it as it fits in my calorie goal and macros. I don't eat as much of it as I used to, but I still eat it.
  • Kirsten2304
    Kirsten2304 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try to do lose weight doing lowcarb. So yes, I gave up bread, pasta and potatoes. However, I do eat oats, sweet potatoes and fruits. :)
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    No. I love them too much. I do like to balance it by adding more veggies and some fruit. I have also traded the high calorie breads for the lower calorie option. I stinking love potatoes, they are not going anywhere except in my belly.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Typical nonsense. Don't eat white potato. Coming from a trainer. ...

lord....

What's the problem, slow weight loss? It's supposed to be slow! Fast weight loss is usually a water loss issue and misleading as to the true nature of losing fat, which is way different than losing water. And the faster the weight loss the more unsustainable the protocol is, leaving you primed to store fat later, as your body thinks you're lost in the wildnerness and times are hard. The human gene sequence is not going to learn anytime soon that most of us have stocked kitchens and cupboards. It's just not going to happen.

Personally, if I knew a trainer that said don't eat potatoes because they could be slowing your weight loss, I would laugh and put them on ear probation. I don't want to hear anything they have to say for at least another 3 months. Credibility is shot. Like someone saying don't eat after a certain time on the clock.

If you're adhering to "paleo" (for some reason) then yea, do what it says. Same thing with learning how to play guitar. If you want to call yourself a guitar player (for whatever reason) there's things you have to do. Otherwise, you don't need to do those things.

There is a bigger issue here and there's not enough information provided to know. But if you're like most people you're under eating and or not eating enough protein and fats. Or you could be hitting it dead on perfectly and due to media and tv and magazine sensationalism you're thinking you're supposed to lose weight faster than you should.

Oh he didn't say it like that he said the best way is the give up potatoes/pasta /bread and eat grains , nuts fill your plate with veg to be strict but other people do it other ways but the weight/ fat will come off quicker this way(can't remember if he said this) and he said after I can just control the amount of the bread/pasta/potatoes after.
    And to up protein and fat.

I actually don't mind giving things up usually I know it's not for the long term and just to see how it affects me in general. I am only limiting at the moment. But I don't do the cooking so it's harder to just cut out pasta and potatoes.
  • crazypeachs
    crazypeachs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    no...why would I? those things are yummy and good for me...in reasonable amounts.

i agree. kicking out foods usually means a not-overall-healthy diet, and leads me to feeling deprived. i LOVE pasta, especially penne with butter and parmesan. that's. it. DELICIOUS! but i've noticed the calories it takes to allow that in my diet, so i don't have it as often. when i want it, i have it, but i eat a smaller amount, and count the calories from it, and make the necessary adjustments from the rest of the day/week. i've found i don't crave it as often, either. but I'M in control.

potatoes, too. i love them, and they're loaded with potassium. i just don't eat them as terribly often as i did.

and someone else said something about the foods you have around. that's right, too. as we're making our lifestyle changes and making better choices, that includes the foods we have at home.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Anyone that has given up bread and pasta and potatoes isit hard to stick with?

No. I like being happy. Bread, pasta and potatoes make me happy.
    There's no need to cut anything from your diet. Just eat less.

^ This.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I haven't given them up, but I eat very little pasta/breads/potatoes. Not beause I am doing it purposely, but I'm just not that big on eating them and since I'm only cooking for one, I control what I make. If I randomly want some pasta, I'll make some. If I am in the mood for some potatoes, I'll buy a small bag to use. But otherwise it's been months since I've bought bread. I don't miss it at all.

With reagards to weight loss/maintenance I can't really say if this has had a big impact. I'm about as lean as I have ever been, but I'm also working hard and eating right.
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Honestly, yes I have, but not really on purpose!

I get so bloated when I eat pasta, bread, potatoes and other starchy foods, that I thought i'd reduce them, and it turned out I didn't miss them at all.

I've replaced them with whole grains such as oats and brown rice, and I eat sweet potatoes.

Just listen to your body and if it's telling you to cut down, then do it, but I don't think you need to cut them out in order to lose weight, everything in moderation and all that!

:tongue:
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Life would not be worth living.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up a thing! Just more good choices than bad~
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't care for potatoes that much so gave them up. I just limit the pasta I eat and right now, limiting the bread I eat. I don't have carb cravings like a lot of people so I don't miss it. I prefer proteins anyway.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I switched to whole grain bread and pasta, and use spaghetti squash to substitute pasta. I also have grown to like sweet potatoes. They don't have to be sweet. You can make any dish you normally make with potatoes using sweet potatoes instead. :smile:
  • ljcazan
    ljcazan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes - I've limited them dramatically. I'll still have some whole grain this and that once in a great while, but they're starchy and full of carbs; especially white flour based stuff. If you want to lose the weight you'll have to limit - just replace with healthy stuff!
  • ghansell
    ghansell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have and have lost 42lb's along with exercising of course.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think of them as treats for once or twice a week. I've replaced potatoes with sweet potatoes or yams.
    It does really seem to help me lose weight. As for cravings, a big cup of ice water and then lots of protein seems to help.
    Good luck!