Does it ever NOT work...?!?!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• esme1983
    esme1983 Posts: 60
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle and water. What are you doing at the gym exactly? Give it more time at least 3 months to see progress.

gaining muscle while eating in a deficit...ummmm no .

a pound of fat weights the same as muscle..

so jettison this from your mind...

are you sure you are eating in deficit? Are you weighing/tracking everything???

Hiya, I am weighing and tracking everything. It's all foods that I ate when I was losing last year so I'm fairly confident that it's accurate.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Most of the stuff here is accurate, so I hate to be a buzzkill about this, but one other point really needs to be mentioned.

People SUCK at estimating calorie intake, like really...we're bad. Even scientists have trouble with it, which is why there are so few studies with isocaloric intakes.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as you can work around these tendencies for error, but it's good information to have.

1) Remember that the formula's that calculate how much you need to lose weight (or maintain, or bulk) are just estimations, derived to be 'close' for as many people as possible. You still have to pay attention to what's going on and adjust as needed. Don't blindly eat X calories daily because the formula told you to. Pay attention to your results.

2) Body changes, particularly weight, are not linear. There's so much other stuff going on that it can be very difficult to gauge your progress. You really need to give it time, like a month or more, to get a reasonable baseline to start from. The sooner you do that the better off you'll be. Using one of the standard formulas is a good starting point; stick with it for 4 weeks and reasses. Adjust as needed and repeat. Be patient, it's a long process, but worth it.

3) The better your estimations, the better your results will be. Have an understanding of what the numbers you're plugging in mean, and always strive for the greatest level of accuracy possible. That chicken you just logged, did you just pick an entry that looked 'close enough' in the mfp database? Did you guess at the weight rather than use a scale? Did you include the oil you used to cook it? Are you putting in things like 3 hours of vigorous house cleaning which comes up as 15,000 calories when it was really more like 2 hours and you didn't even break a sweat? The little (and big) things matter, especially early on. As you get more comfortable in your routine you should become better able to sort of eyeball it, and know when you're on track or not. The adjustments you'll need to make in your routine will become smaller and smaller since you'll already be pretty much on point (the challenge then becomes consistency). You will still need to come back and reassess your estimations from time to time, but it does get easier, and 'work' eventually.

ETA based on previous post: even with weighing and tracking everything people are still prone to errors in estimated calorie intake. It happens, you still need to pay attention to results. While it might not be a problem if you've gained a couple after 2 weeks, after 6 or 8 though you need to change something.
  • esme1983
    Options
    Make sure you are staying hydrated. Yes, muscle is denser than fat, but it shouldn't cause you to gain inches. In fact a pound of muscle is SMALLER than a pound of fat in way of size. So you may be gaining or retaining water which can also make you "bloated" which would show an increase in inches. How much to you drink a day? If you're very active, you need more water.

Thanks, - around 2.5 litres of water but also some camomile tea etc (and wine, but I know that doesn't count!)
  • esme1983
    Options
    Too late for what, exactly?

lol. Too late to go back to the weight I started at two weeks ago without ANOTHER year of hard work ;)
  • esme1983
    Options
    How are you measuring your deficit?

How are you working out TDEE daily and food consumed?

500 calories also isn't that hard to 'lose' with over estimated exercise and underestimated food.

I'm basing it on MFP guide for height and weight and a lightly active activity setting. Then tracking exercise - same as I did last year when I was losing. Only difference is that now I'm exercising, I'm adding on between 200/280 ish cals for a half hour workout...
  • esme1983
    Options
    I lost two stone and now I have started a fresh with the goal of getting strong rather than just losing weight. But it's making me gain the weight again. I've gained 6lbs steadily these past two weeks.

How quickly did you lose the 2 stone and how? If you were eating a very low cal diet then increasing your cals will often cause people to gain initially after changing to the TDEE -20% deficit. Most bodies adapt to the change in food intake after a few weeks or so and the gain should level off and hopefully you'll start losing.

It takes time and patience but if you are definite you are eating below your true TDEE and you are accurately logging then sooner or later the fat should fall.

I lost the first stone in about 7 months through 1200 cals and the odd cheat day. Then the remaining weight I shifted by upping my calories to 1500 and that happened over about 3/4 months