What to do when you hate the Treadmill ??

Options

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Do weights?

You don't even need to do cardio if you don't want to.

Weights burn more fat anyway.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    A treadmill is all I have at home, so when I'm on it, I keep myself distracted with either my laptop (up on the display, watching my favorite shows or a movie - gotta love Netflix!), my Kindle, or my cell cranking the music. Whatever distraction I use, I block the time display so I'm not counting the minutes.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA!
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    lift weights faster
  • Nikki_XC
    Nikki_XC Posts: 69
    Options
    Also, running is not solely the "best form of cardio." Consider swimming, kettlebells (as mentioned above), jumping rope (highly underestimated, but fantastic conditioning), cycling (as I mentioned earlier), kickboxing, and well, there's countless other ways to get your cardio in.

It's a matter of intensity! Experiment and don't be a sheep... you'll find something that is just right for you!
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Dance
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells. I can burn 100 calories in 10 minutes (HRMs wouldn't lie, would they?!) It's a KILLER workout and targets a TON of different muscle groups. LOVE LOVE LOVE my kettlebells!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Walk
    Hike
    Bike
    Swim
    Dance
    Box
    Zumba
    Kayak
    Tennis
    Ultimate Frisbee
    Soccer
    Cardio DVDs
    Jump rope
    Jumping Jacks
    Burpees
    Skip
    Flail down a running path like Phoebe
    Go play basketball
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Walk outside. Dance around your house. Jump rope. Walk or jog up and down the stairs. Anything that gets & keeps your heart rate up.
  • getfitindia
    Options
    Thanks a lot :) yeah its at the gym and I hate it! - I just can't get into it and like you said it feels so heavy!

is it at the gym you do the treadmill?
    I am not a fan of it myself...i dont like the impact. I do the Arc trainer and the eliptical and first of all i find they seem to burn more in the same amount of time, and second they dont seem to have the same impact...since your feet dont leave the pedals.

Also the bike is another good one.

There is the stairclimber, although my gym doesn't have those so i am not very familiar.

if it's an option there are classes like zumba, aerobics etc, although you may be looking at addional costs if that is a concern. I do zumba and lost 30 lbs in about 4-5 months.

hope those help!
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. I walk outside and ride the bike in our living room while watching TV. Takes up some space, but at least it's something.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    A treadmill is all I have at home, so when I'm on it, I keep myself distracted with either my laptop (up on the display, watching my favorite shows or a movie - gotta love Netflix!), my Kindle, or my cell cranking the music. Whatever distraction I use, I block the time display so I'm not counting the minutes.

This is exactly what I do. I put a towel or something over it and either watch Netflix on my phone or do something else so I am not just staring at the time creep by.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    I detest the 'dreadmill' and will avoid it at all costs. When I go running I quite often play my mp3 and have some good tunes on there or inspirational talks. Caution: If you do use an mp3 then please make sure that you can also hear surrounding noises too. This proved handy when some guy came running up behind me and when I heard him and turned around, he was stark bollock naked!! But, hey that's another story!
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Take a class or do workout DVDs. But you shouldn't really be focusing your training on cardio, and when you do cardio, you should do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for only about 20 - 30 minutes. You'll burn mad calories. Make sure you get your strength training in for 3 days per week at least 30 minutes. This will get you out of your running/treadmill funk. But there is absolutely no reason to go near a treadmill if you don't like it!! Good luck :)
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Ditch the treadmill. Start running outside....after a while, you'll start to love it. Wear your head phones and listen to music when you run, it'll pump you up.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    If you absolutely hate something, or get bored with it, don't make it a major part of your exercise routine. There are many ways to get your cardio in, including group fitness classes at many gyms.
  • Pamella513
    Pamella513 Posts: 72
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of the treadmill when I first started but have since grown to not mind it. I burn more calories on that thing than on any other machine I use. I don't watch tv or read a magazine while on it (doing so gives me headaches). I put the earbuds in and listen to my heavy metal and while I'm walking, I hold 5 lb hand weights and work my arms at the same time. Two birds, one stone.

I love swimming but don't have access to water unless I'm on vacation which isn't often......so treadmill it is
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I hate running as well, so i just don't do it. My cardio days usually includes riding bike (when it's not raining or super windy) or Zumba or even just going for a walk around the golf course.

ETA: Yesterday was a lifting day, and since my fitbit isn't good for measuring calories burned during weight training, i wore my HRM and i burned 476 calories in an hour. Heavy lifting gives my heart plenty of exercise so i could probably skip on doing cardio altogether if i wanted.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the treadmill, I'm lucky enough to have one in my basement home gym and I prefer it to walking outdoors (I'm SO afraid of dogs and there always seem to be some running free). It also keeps me "home" so I can attend to the kids if they have a problem. I am spoiled with a TV/DVD/Netflix to watch what I want while I workout.

My problem with the treadmill is SHOES ... I hate SHOES! They just make my feet hurt after a bit. The treadmill does require shoes. Again, I am spoiled with an Elliptical and a recumbent bike too ... both of those I do in slippers (it is MY home gym, so no one to judge me!) so just because of the shoe issues, I usually choose the elliptical and bike over the treadmill ...
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried doing swim running? running laps in a pool ?? its great!
    Running is not really the BEST form of cardio but its certainly a darn good one (im a runner).
    The arc trainer - awesome.
    Cycling at high speeds - also awesome.
    walking at high speeds for an hour - totally awesome.
    Hiking for a few hours - fun AND awesome exercise.
    The elliptical @ a vigorous speed - awesome.

There's so many options!