Has anyone given up bread pasta and potatoes?

Options

Replies

• RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think of them as treats for once or twice a week. I've replaced potatoes with sweet potatoes or yams.
    It does really seem to help me lose weight. As for cravings, a big cup of ice water and then lots of protein seems to help.
    Good luck!
  • Notsowobblynow
    Notsowobblynow Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is amazing! Find it in the freezer section. I find it tastier than regular bread.

I love Ezekial bread toasted with a little almond butter---it is very satisfying.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I dont really like pasta and dont eat it that frequently. Bread, I like bread, and would probably eat it more, but I like REAL fresh baked bread. Too much of a pain to stop at the store every other day for it just for some good bread. Potatoes?

I love me some GIANT Russet potatoes. Like everyone else has said on here. I dont eat 1lb of potatoes a day. Maybe a couple a week. What I HAVE stopped eating are potato chips and french fries. Which you could argue are.....or are not potatoes ;-)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I dont generally eat bread or pasta, or anything with gluten...but I have IBS and find that this helps me. I eat a mostly primal diet, including sweet potatoes, potatoes and rice.

If you have no medical reason to give those foods up, then dont. Eat them if you want, as with everything, in moderation.
  • casmithis
    casmithis Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have but not for weight loss reasons. I have digestive issues so I'm just working with my doctor and natureopath to try to figure things out. I eat brown rice and pasta made from brown rice. I had a bun that was gluten free once for a burger but didn't like it so I'm back to bunless burgers. I feel a kagillion times better and surprisingly don't really miss it (well there was 1 time my husband made home made fries, I almost took his eyeballs out, I think it was the smell though).
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a lot of weight (140 pounds in a little over a year) I ate no carbs. Funny thing. When you start eating them again, they create a sort of craving and you want them more and more. So I put a lot of the weight back on. Not all of it, but a lot. If pasta, potatoes and bread are things that you love, my suggestion is that you learn to fit them into your menu so that you do not feel deprived and that you will not develop those cravings.
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up ANYTHING that I love. Instead of white bread or pasta and regular potatoes, I tend to eat multigrain bread and pasta and sweet potatoes or red potatoes. I limit my starchy carbs and I only eat them early in the day (before 3 p.m.) So far, this has worked out great for me. I was a total carb-aholic and don't really crave them at all anymore. I actually had regular russett potatoes the other day and didn't even care for them that much and I don't care much for white bread, either.

Good Luck to you :) You'll find something that works for you and keeps you happy and healthy!!
  • ericnealdavis
    ericnealdavis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I switched out whole grain bread for white (I make my own now using the "Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a Day" book), whole wheat pasta for white, and brown rice and quinoa for white rice. I still eat potatoes, but now I watch the portions carefully and I probably only eat potatoes once every two weeks or so. Although the switch is better for me nutritionally, the biggest impetuous for changing was my wife. She is very sensitive to blood sugar changes so the lower glycemic values of the whole grains helps to keep her insulin from spiking and driving her blood sugar too low.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'll probably try for a few weeks maybe 3 weeks and see how I go .
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Yes, I've almost entirely given up pasta and bread. If you read up on the way we've genetically modified wheat in the last 50 years (the vast majority of wheat grown today was created through mutating the plant by use of a toxin so deadly that if you were to ingest that toxin directly, they would advise against anyone offering you aid because it would kill the rescuer). Add the way that big business processes these foods (improving their shelf-life by sucking virtually all of the natural nutrition out of it) and you end up discovering that they are not nutritionally dense foods. In fact, they're pretty nutritionally vacuous and what nutrition they have is largely added *back* into them from other sources (some of those sources being non-food based and kind of gross). Then add their ability to cause blood-sugar spikes and there just seem to be better food options available that give you more benefit for your calories.

I eat carbs, I just try to choose the healthier ones.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

I was speaking to my trainer and he said I should give up bread , pasta and potatoes and that I could switch to sweet potatoes.

i'd fire the trainer. this irish girl loves her potatoes and my italian husband loves pasta. i have wheat toast with peanut butter almost everyday for breakfast. do i eat pasta every night no and the same thing for potatoes. when i do (which is at least once a week) i just watch my portion size (and i measure my pasta so i know exactly how much i'm eating - i can tell you before i started to measure i was eating TWICE as a much). i haven't given up a single thing it's all about portion control.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with type 2 diabeties my dr. said potatoes only as a very special treat. I haven't had any since, along with white rice or white flour or white sugar.

I do eat carbs but I get them from fruits and veggies. That said when I did this it was all about controlling my glucose levels. Once I did this, and I actually increase the good fats and protein in my diet to keep from getting so hungry, I learned that almost all my snacking were carb based. When I stopped eating the carbs I stopped snacking so much. If I did snack it was on nuts and I became satisfied much more quickly and for a longer period of time. My weightloss is based strickly on cutting out the white carbs, that is the only thing I have dilegently tracted.

I rarely crave any of it and I was quite the sweet baby before my life style change. I wanted sugar after every meal. Mints were my excuse to complete a meal.

For me it really has made a huge impact on my weight and that wasn't even the initial focus for my lifestyle change. Each of us are individuals and we need to decide what works for us. For me, I don't tolerate the refined carbs well at all and it is much easier to obstain because I can't take just one.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've almost totally eliminated wheat from my diet, since it causes me to have some major bloating problems. I will eat potatoes a few times a month, but I'm not a big fan of them so I can take or leave them. They don't cause bloating issues for me like wheat does though. I'm not low carb, I just get carbs from other sources :)
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I don't eat white potatoes (could eat sweet potatoes, but I'm not a fan, except occasional baked fries). I eat bread and pasta, but only whole grain. I also eat brown rice.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    completely given up bread pasta and potatoes and finding it easy to keep my carbs around 100g mark, and Ive not missed them to be honest
  • SusanDugas
    SusanDugas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Three of my four favorite food groups (add rice)!?!?! How could I possibly just give them up? That would be a far too restrictive diet for me and I am fairly certain it would not last. I have learned, however, to use portion control, scales and to seek out addition options for spending my daily calorie allotment, i.e. lots of veggies added in, checking labels for calorie counts (along with sodium content) and re-inventing my most loved recipes in a much lower calorie option. Plain potatoes are not that high in calorie content and, if eaten with skins, are a great source of potassium.
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i have done the "no whites" plan of eating twice, for a long time each. Food Addicts Anonymous basically advocates this. No sugar, white flour, white potatoes, or white rice. Lost 90 lbs the first time, never gained more than 40 back. Lost 70 lbs the second time, gained almost all of it back. I lost weight, was totally fixated on what not to eat, eventually fell off the wagon, and gained weight back. It works, but for me it wasn't sustainable. By the way, it wasn't "low carb," you eat whoie grains and less processed food instead of the sugar, flour and rice. Sweet potatoes instead of white.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It is not hard to stick with once we take them out of our diet for a few days. The carb-heavy foods impact our metabolism in many ways including regulation of blood-sugar cycles, leptin resistance (which leaves us feeling hungry) and with the increase of insulin resistance that we are seeing, uptake of the unused carbs as fat as the body can't process them.
    Not taking carbs out of the diet can hinder weight loss in many ways. Give going without a try and see if it works for you!

So if your body can't "process something" whatever "process" means, you store it as fat? How do you store it as fat if you can't process it? Again, define just in laymans terms the difference between process and digestion?

And leptin resistance occurs mostly from over eating and under exercising, like insulin resistance. To bastardize and vilify a whole 1/3 of the caloric macro nutrient families is sophomoric at best.

Plus carbs can be used to manipulate leptin in favorable manners when dieting to keep the metabolism from slowing down more than it already real.

I think youve read too many internet blogs/gurus or found the guru youtube channels.

Sure low carb approaches can be beneficial but it's about the total amounts consumed and the USUAL obesity of the person involved.