How often are you changing your clothes size?

Options

Replies

• penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 3 dress sizes since I started MFP in January, and about six weeks ago I had to buy a whole load of new jackets, and some skirts, for work. Those jackets are already more than comfortable but I'll hold off on that major outlay for at least another three or four months, if I continue like this. But dresses and skirts for summer, I'm already buying smaller (yeaayy!!).

I did have some clothes (mostly jackets, a couple of skirts) that I'd kept from "before" that I'm now wearing again - some I'd only worn maybe once or twice before they got uncomfortably tight. These, too, are now more than comfortable - I call these my Resurrection Clothes!

And - I remember reading a post on here not long after I joined about shoes... some of my favourite pairs are starting to feel like boats. I feel a shoe spree coming on... :heart:
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've been on a lifestyle change since January. Although my tag shows a 23 lb weight loss, the reality is that as of this morning it is 55. I still have a way to go, but I'm feeling great.

Just wondering how often people are changing size? I lost 45 lbs before I let myself go out and buy some new pants (I've never been a person to keep old clothes in the closet in hopes of fitting back in)...so I'm having to get a new wardrobe as the weight drops (horrible problem I know). I bought 4 new pairs of pants beginning of May now 2 of them are too big (but can still wear them), 1 is ok and the other is too big (even though they're all the same size). That's in about 3 weeks.

Just curious how often people are dropping sizes.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Most expensive part of this process has been going through cloths every few months ... I work in a office so I have to dress appropriately.

I have lost 31 pounds. So far I have had to buy new summer clothes. I needed them anyways. Most of the stuff I bought early in the season and they were all a little small. So I lost weight to fit in them.

I had to buy new underwear cause mine where falling off of me. I was able to save a few of the old ones. But I found some packs on clearance at Walgreens. I paid a little over $6 for 6 pairs.

I have been hitting the Goodwill Stores here. Really found a lot of nice clothes. Some never worn. I think I paid about $40 for all my clothes.

The hardest part for me is work pants. Finding them that fit and are lightweight for the summer months has been hard.
  • twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't understand my body sometimes. The last time I lost a significant amount of weight, I dropped almost 60 pounds in just a few months. I would go shopping regularly but could never fully squeeze into the next size down. Then it seemed like I suddenly went down 3 sizes - from a 24 to an 18, in the last month.

That's happening again!! I really don't get it lol I've lost 25 pounds since January, I started at a size 20. But I still can't wiggle myself into an 18. It's so frustrating

I'm with you. I have lost about 60 pounds, but am still wearing a lot of the same clothes I wore before. I wear a few smaller ones, too, of course, but it's frustrating to still be able to wear the same stuff. But it's looser, so I guess that's something.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've gone from an 18 womens to now 12 misses. In the beginning As my pants would get bigger, I would put hems in them and/or safety pin the waist, but now 99% of my wardrobe comes from thrift stores, I can't afford to go out and buy a new wardrobe every time I drop a size. I've found so much great designer stuff at the thrift stores, don't know if I'll ever start shopping in the regular stores again.

I found a dress I wanted at Macy's for $60. I just can't see myself doing it. As much as I love it. I know I can't wear it after this summer.

I hit the thrift shops a lot now too.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss thus far!!

I had the same problem. I like nice things. So I had a closet full of very nice 14s and 16s. I'm now anywhere between a 8-12, so I had to get rid of them. When I was in limbo, I would go to Burlington coat factory or some kind of discount store and get dress clothes for work there. I spent about $300 on the in between wardrobe. I recently came back from my honeymoon a few pounds up, and my doctor has been playing with one of my prescriptions, so I'm glad to have the 12's still in my closet.

I plan on weight lifting soon, so I'm not going to call myself "done" yet. But once your body gets to the point where it isn't changing for 6 months or so, I would say it's safe to go buy the nice things again.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You know what's crazy? 120 lbs & I'm still wearing the same underwear! Not bras, those have been replaced twice but panties yes. They're those microfiber stretchy ones. They are big & saggy a bit but I'm holding out until goal. Then I plan to walk into Victoria's Secret & drop a bunch of money on all new panties. A bit weird but its kinda my reward to look forward to lol!

Me too!!! Though I've had to replace my "weekend" cotton undies, but the expensive microfiber stretchy ones still fit. I'm with you, maybe when I get down to single digit size, I'll treat myself to brand new undies.
  • Bynnais
    Bynnais Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Replacing my clothes has cost me a fortune! I thought I'd stopped losing so went wild in the post-Christmas sales then I decided to lose a little more and that stuff is now too big. It was great going through the wardrobe chucking stuff out though (all of it went to charity) except when it came to trying on bras - that was very very depressing!

Those of you who are miserable that you're not having to buy smaller sizes yet probably haven't realised just how baggy your clothes are. It took a very honest colleague to tell me to stop wearing some of my trousers to work. I simply hadn't noticed how ridiculous they looked until she pointed it out. I found that when I was losing really fast, wearing skirts was preferable because they don't have to fit properly like trousers - a little too big or a little too small is less noticeable. I don't suggest the men try this approach though.....
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started on May 14th and have gone from a size 20 to 18. Today is my first day wearing an 18 and I have a big job interview this afternoon. I feel like I'll have a little swagger in my step today :wink:
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    You know what's crazy? 120 lbs & I'm still wearing the same underwear! Not bras, those have been replaced twice but panties yes. They're those microfiber stretchy ones. They are big & saggy a bit but I'm holding out until goal. Then I plan to walk into Victoria's Secret & drop a bunch of money on all new panties. A bit weird but its kinda my reward to look forward to lol!

Me too!!! Though I've had to replace my "weekend" cotton undies, but the expensive microfiber stretchy ones still fit. I'm with you, maybe when I get down to single digit size, I'll treat myself to brand new undies.

I dropped $300 in Victoria's Secret on a 4 teddy's and this beautiful gown robe type thing. ALL SIZE MEDIUMS. FTW! I *SAID* it was for our honeymoon, but it was a pretty awesome feeling. Enjoy it when you get there!
  • LoudmouthLee
    LoudmouthLee Posts: 358
    Options
    The Salvation Army knows me by name through all of the donations I've made throughout the year.

I started as a XXXL Shirt and a 50 waist pants. Those were donated.
    I purchased XXL shirts and 46 waist pants. Those were donated.
    I purchased XL shirts and 40 waist pants. Those were donated.
    I purchased L shirts. Half of those were donated.
    I purchased 38 waist pants. Those were donated.

I am currently between a M and a L, and between a 34 and 36 pant size. A long way from where I started.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Ive gone from a size 18 to a size 12 in 9 months, so I guess about every 2-3 months I'm changing sizes. I don't go crazy and buy a whole new wardrobe but I buy some things at Good Will or ARC to fill in the gaps. Usually I'll buy a couple of nicer outfits retail and the rest used. When I get to my goal weight, THEN I'll splurge for a new wardrobe!
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Ive lost about 55 lbs, still have more to go, but I found it easier to buy super cheap clothes because I find myself not being able to fit in the clothes I had purchased the week before.

This. Although I think I'm pretty close to goal weight now (within 8-10 pounds), so the things I'm buying now will hopefully last for awhile. I did a closet purge about a month ago and finally got rid of absolutely everything in the larger sizes, so they're not even an option for me to go back to - and went to Goodwill to get some jeans. Doesn't make sense to buy uber expensive stuff when I can get four pairs still in great condition for far less. In February I was still wearing my size 10 jeans (but with a belt because otherwise they were falling off), but now I'm down to size 5.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I bought a few pair of slacks after 40 pounds. But basically am waiting to buy jeans until I just can't wear the old ones any more (they literally fall off). I hate jeans shopping. And I got all new pants for summer because the old ones were falling off. And I got new shirts/tops for summer because they aren't that expensive and the other ones just looked like clown clothes. Even got a new pair of sneakers because my feet have lost enough weight that I could move from men's to women's size. I'll be really sad when I can't wear my leather coat any more, because that I won't replace 'til I get to goal.
  • cleopatrapage
    cleopatrapage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    THIS! Just go to Goodwill and pick up a few cheap items. I wouldn't go shopping shopping until I'm in a size I think I'll stick with for a while.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I'm down 18lbs and have dropped 6 sizes (now a Size 6) since January.. I just pick up a cheap pair of pants that are no more than $20.. once they get to big, I just donate them. I'm pretty happy at a size 6 now and haven't had to change them in a month or two (let's hope it stays this way...)
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was a size 20 when I started a few months ago. I had been cinching the belt tighter and tighter, but a couple of weeks ago I bought one pair of shorts, one pair of capris (both 16s) and a couple of shirts XL and L. Last weekend I put on the new size 16 shorts and they were too big!! Had only worn them once!!! I found myself at Wal-Mart last night at 1030p.m. buying some inexpensive transition clothes in size 14. I don't want to spend much, since I'm still a couple sizes bigger then I want to be.
    I've lost 42 lbs total and dropped 3 sizes.
  • shinitaru
    shinitaru Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    all I have are sweats and tshirts. I'm not going to spend money on clothes till I get down close to my goal. Everything I have is baggy
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Dresses and leggings are in my future because my jeans are getting too big to stay up, even with a belt, and I don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe for a middle weight/size me. I do think it's key to buy a few things that show off your new form, though, instead of hiding in baggy clothes. Hearing people notice my loss encourages me more than I can do on my own. I'm hoping the skirts and dresses get me through the summer (though I did by a new swimsuit because my boobs shrunk to the point they'd float out of my old one!) and buy new jeans in the fall and not have to buy anything new for a while!
  • RAREBIRDART
    RAREBIRDART Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 52 lbs, I started out with a 26/28 at christmas time, andd I am now down to an 18/20 in May...All my clothes are too big, the 18-20s are pushing it sometimes...I cant afford to keep buying clothes, so i hike my jeans up (practically wearing under my chest) and keep going, Im figuring when i get down to a 16, ill buy new jeans...(my work pants are worse than my jeans.)
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Lost around 30, but barely a clothing size yet, at least for pants. When I buy things, I buy two sizes down from my old size, and find them a bit snug yet. But they're shorts, so I'm hoping in a few weeks they will fit better. I found some smaller-size pants I squirrelled away, but they also seem sorta tight, even though many of my old larger size pants are ridiculously too large. Somehow, I'm in the middle, though I did get used to things being a bit loose, so things being tight again is probably throwing me, too.

Until I'm closer to goal, I've been making due with a few things I've bought, and mostly too-big things. My dresses are starting to get sort-of sack-like, but the smaller ones I bought I'm just not comfy in yet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!