The day that you don't lose weight

Options

Replies

• ELENA01
    ELENA01 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I also check the scale daily and am grateful for everyday, if I lose weight or not. I just keep on trying, knowing that eventually it will drop. I feel great with what I have accomplished thus far and it is a bonus to continue to drop.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    When I weighed myself every day I found myself getting discouraged when the scale didnt budge. It would ruin my entire mood! Have you taken your measurements? On the days you find the scale did not move maybe you have still lost inches. If you are doing strength training with your workout you could be gaining muscle affecting the scale.
  • ashivnc
    ashivnc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I try and check the scale every day.. I want to... I like to. I know there are many factors but it helps me keep on track. And if I lose, boy do I feel rewarded and even more motivated. Lately the scale hasn't really budged, even though I've been back on track more than ever. Working out a LOT, keeping within my calorie goal (to create a deficit), sleeping well, all that. I tend to give up at this point because I get frustrated, but I'm committed to sticking with it - telling myself that my good work will pay off and that yes, like many of you are saying, it might take a while for the body to adjust and things to start happening. I'm definitely working out a lot more than I used to so it might just be some inflammation?
  • Texasopa
    Texasopa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh the 1st of every month. I eat right 95% of the time and am upset with myself if I don't go to the gym at least 5 X a week. I really like to go every day. When I'm traveling I can't. So I decided not to worry a lot about the weight. If I keep doing what I have been, Then I have to lose weight. I have a long way to go. Looks like you and Ed have done great and Congratulations,:drinker:
  • maryhansenbfegypt
    maryhansenbfegypt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I guess you already KNOW I cannot keep off the scale first thing in the morning...but I have to wait till 9 a.m. cause I always weigh less at 9 a.m.; I am not sure why! But I weigh before breakfast, of course!!!! Like you....I can't help it!!! I have to know...even if it's two ounces, that's better than nothing!!!!! Get bummed out when it's nothing! as you know!!!!
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow! There is a wealth of info. and encouragement and discovery here. I have come to enjoy reaching for my laptop at the end of the day to sit and read all or most of the post. I have learned, been encouraged mightily, discovered and have come to rest in knowing that I'm not alone in this. I am humbled and grateful for all my new friends here on MFP. Thank you all!

As for the scale, I weigh myself daily too. Funny thing, when we lived in NJ (1 1/2 yrs. ago) I only weighed myself once a week, but when we moved to Florida and I came out of the pit I was in, and I started to way in every morning. For a short time I would way a few times a day, but that did not last long because I felt myself getting kind of overly crazy, so I put a stop to that. I am determined to stay the course and not let the little things ambush me.

Rosie, I am not a outward person when it comes to things that deal with my weight, I have always been selfconcous because people can and have been cruel to me, even close family members. But I have learned from you and others that in sharing it brings strength. And now, my eyes are tearing up because of the friends I have here that share their deep secrets, lonely moments, their frustrations, the physical ills, their funny stories, their victories, their defeats, and their daily lives. What a fantastic group of loving and caring people God has placed by my side to journey with me.
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Rosie, I am not a outward person when it comes to things that deal with my weight, I have always been selfconcous because people can and have been cruel to me, even close family members. But I have learned from you and others that in sharing it brings strength. And now, my eyes are tearing up because of the friends I have here that share their deep secrets, lonely moments, their frustrations, the physical ills, their funny stories, their victories, their defeats, and their daily lives. What a fantastic group of loving and caring people God has placed by my side to journey with me.

I am so happy that you asked me to become your first friend on MFP. You and I both have a long way to go; but together, we are capable seniors with the desire and commitment to make it all the way...together.

Love ya, Sis. :heart:
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    The scale is a great tool, if you know how to use it. Every day we take in, on average, 2.5 lbs. of food, 9.2 lbs. of water, and 1.8 lbs. of oxygen. We eliminate 0.3 lbs. of solids, 11 lbs. of water, and 2.2 lbs. of carbon dioxide. As you can see, the biggest thing coming in and going out is water (much of it in food). If you retain even 10% of the water one day, that's over a pound.

John Walker's "The Hacker's Diet" (free online at http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/) discusses how to use daily scale readings sensibly: by comparing them with a weighted average that represents your trend. As long as your daily weights are mostly below the trend, you're losing weight; if they're mostly above the trend, you're gaining weight. The chapters on "The Rubber Bag" and "Signal and Noise" explain the problem and the solution elegantly.

Thanks for sharing these stats...I'm gonna check the web out tomorrow.

I weigh daily too, but I don't think I'm a scale #'s junkie so much as OCD (weighing is part my routine)...The number doesn't bother me so much, but I have to weigh. I do like to look at the trendline that is created under the reports section of MFP, so maybe you should check that out (it's cool to see it go down) for some motivation.

Also, I gain every time I do strength training (supposed to be water retention from where the muscles are repairing themselves), but it goes away in a few days. Perhaps when you weigh and go up after a particularly hard day you could say "oh look, I gained X amount of water from the workout." Maybe changing your mindset of where the weight comes from could help (water is way better than fat).
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Also, I gain every time I do strength training (supposed to be water retention from where the muscles are repairing themselves), but it goes away in a few days. Perhaps when you weigh and go up after a particularly hard day you could say "oh look, I gained X amount of water from the workout." Maybe changing your mindset of where the weight comes from could help (water is way better than fat).

That's something that I didn't know. I am in wheelchair; but I have been working out, using a Sit And Fit program. About a week ago, I stepped up from baby weights (one pounders) to 3 pound weights that have made lifting a bit more difficult...even painful at times.

I am an old lady with arthritis in my knees, hands and apparently in my shoulders as well. My left arm is especially sore tonight after my workout this afternoon. Several MFP friends recommended that I go back to the smaller weights, at least until my left shoulder stop hurting.

Maybe the increased weights during the past few workouts did some 'damage' (? Is that the right word?) to my muscles in the left arm. Would that make me retain water in my system? I usually drink about a gallon of water each day, but I am on Lasix (a strong diarrhetic) for swelling in my legs. So, I do have some medical issues that could be factoring in to my 'no loss days'.

Either way...muscle repair or not...I am determined to keep up with my exercise routine.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. If it's the same as the day before, I think, "Great, it's stabilizing, that means this weight loss is permanent!" If it goes up a little, sure, that's a bummer, but I don't report my weight on here as having gone up, I just leave it and wait until it goes back down. And it always does.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I confess: Every. Single. Day. ...........firmly believe that knowledge is power
    spot the trends; nip it in the bud.

Also agree the new pic is fabulous..........a whole different, happier person!!!
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself ESPECIALLY after I've been eating too much. Seeing the number go up (even though it's probably water weight) is usually enough to freak me out into eating better!! I gained 12 pounds and I blame my lack of willpower during that time on not weighing myself.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    Today, I lost another 0.4 pounds. That made my ticker read 50 pounds lost. That was one of my mini goals. The next mini goal will be 205 pounds. At that weight, I plan to start bugging my surgeon to get me on the waiting list for my first surgery date to replace my right knee. This is a long process with pre-op evaluations, physical therapy consultations and then, finally the surgery. It will be several months, before the second surgery for my left knee. So...I need to push for that weight loss and the first surgery date.

I checked my weight records this morning. I have lost...

...49.7 pounds, since Thankgiving
    ...1.4 pounds this week
    ...6.0 pounds this month
    ...and a whopping 24.7 pounds for the past 3 months.

Those are the numbers that show me not only the past but the realistic goals for the coming week, month and all the way to end of August. I can easily see my goals achieved, using these statistics. I know that I can and will be in Onederland soon.

With the help of God, I will stick to my food plan and my exercise routine, because I want to see what He has in store for me.
  • caribear1984
    caribear1984 Posts: 203
    Options
    Yay! Your progress is such a great testimony. God is so good!

I admit that I am a daily weigher too. My weight fluctuates quite a bit because of sodium and exercise-induced water retention. I can pretty much predict where the scale will be depending on the workout or meal I had the day before. As long as it's a downward trend, I'm good. It is almost like a game now, seeing how closely I can predict my weight for the day. I imagine it may get more frustrating as I get closer to goal, but I will continue to lean on Him and just keep swimming...
  • jljshoe1979
    Options

That's something that I didn't know. I am in wheelchair; but I have been working out, using a Sit And Fit program. About a week ago, I stepped up from baby weights (one pounders) to 3 pound weights that have made lifting a bit more difficult...even painful at times.

I am an old lady with arthritis in my knees, hands and apparently in my shoulders as well. My left arm is especially sore tonight after my workout this afternoon. Several MFP friends recommended that I go back to the smaller weights, at least until my left shoulder stop hurting.

Maybe the increased weights during the past few workouts did some 'damage' (? Is that the right word?) to my muscles in the left arm. Would that make me retain water in my system? I usually drink about a gallon of water each day, but I am on Lasix (a strong diarrhetic) for swelling in my legs. So, I do have some medical issues that could be factoring in to my 'no loss days'.

Either way...muscle repair or not...I am determined to keep up with my exercise routine.

I am no expert, but lifting shouldn't be painful (ever)...your friends are right about dropping back. When we lift weights (strength train) it causes little tears in our muscles. When the body repairs the little tears is when we actually "build muscle". I am not familiar with Sit and Fit, but hopefully the program has built in rest-days for your body to repair itself - rest days are just as important as workout days.
    I am sooo impressed by your determination, testimony, and positive outlook!!! Gonna send you a friend request as soon as I post this...I would love to follow your journey and will be praying for you. :flowerforyou:
  • OnDatBulk
    OnDatBulk Posts: 10
    Options
    your weight fluctuates depending on the time of day, how hydrated you are, how much youve eaten, and how long its been since you ate. best thing to do is to weigh yourself in the morning when you wake up, or at night before you go to sleep, but do it at the same time
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I went over two months just maintaining my weight. I saw this as a good thing because I was not gaining, just eating on average at my TDEE.
  • jljshoe1979
    Options

Forgot to mention in the last post: Retaining water happens after most good workouts...think of it like when we soak in a hot bath. The water surrounds the cells/tissues in the muscles and helps them to repair quicker and feel better quicker. I think you did hurt your arm and should take it very easy - aggravating a slight injury could make it a lot worse. After your arm feels better, you could do a modification to your program like doing half the weights with the 3 lb weight, and the other half with the 1 lb weight - this will help lessen the risk of over doing it.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I think you did hurt your arm and should take it very easy - aggravating a slight injury could make it a lot worse. After your arm feels better, you could do a modification to your program like doing half the weights with the 3 lb weight, and the other half with the 1 lb weight - this will help lessen the risk of over doing it.

Sit And Fit is the name of several DVD programs for folks who have limited mobility, due to age or medical conditions. I have 3 of them, but I especially like the first one. I like the music and the fact that it includes use of weights. The woman who is leading the exercise routine does half of them sitting, and rest of them stand, using a chair for support. I can only do the sitting portion of the routine which is slightly over 30 minutes. About 10 minutes of that routine involves weights; but throughout the workout, folks are cautioned to only go 'within your range of motion' and 'stop if you feel pain'. A good deal of the program is stretching and range of motion activities. When the leader goes to the weights, she even tell the participants to do the exercises without weights, if you have any discomfort. Again, she will say, "Stop, if you feel any pain."

However, I am a stubborn, old lady...so, I tend to ignore a certain amount of pain. Today, I still wanted to do my 30 minutes; but I remembered all of MFP friends cautionary remarks and picked up the baby weights.

My left shoulder was less sore today, though I did 'feel' some stiffness in my left shoulder with the range of motion activities. They were little harder to 'fully do' today. So, I only went to 'my comfort level' and didn't push farther. I don't want to put myself out of commission.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    your weight fluctuates depending on the time of day, how hydrated you are, how much youve eaten, and how long its been since you ate. best thing to do is to weigh yourself in the morning when you wake up, or at night before you go to sleep, but do it at the same time

Thanks for the advice. I like to weigh in the morning about the same time each day. I do it, before I take in any fluids and food.

I do understand about how the body stores water and food. I have a couple of college degrees, including one in zoology and another in nursing. As registered nurse, I had to take several classes relate to nutrition and anatomy.