Just starting and i'm already afraid that i will fail.

Options
Just started today. I used to be skinny (not too skinny) and i would like to feel good again but i have no will power. Not sure how to find the will power to do this any ideas?

Replies

• BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Battling your own willpower is tough, that's one of my biggest challenges. There are no easy answers, but some of my suggestions would be:

-start small. Set attainable goals.
    -don't be unrealistic.
    -understand it will take time.
    -understand you will make mistakes and give into temptation. Don't let it derail you.
    -give yourself periodic rewards for your progress (I don't suggest food related rewards)

This is a website full of people fighting the same issues. Help and support is here. Good luck on your journey, but don't allow yourself to be defeated before you've even started.
  • mdchestnut
    mdchestnut Posts: 13
    Options
    This may sound cliche, but take it one day at a time. You will have some good days and some bad days. The trick is to not have too many bad days.

Try to get some friends to use the program with you. I have found that my friends help to motivate me to exercise and eat better.

Do not focus on the scale, focus on how your clothes fit, how you are losing inches, and how much better you feel.
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Think positive and believe you can do it! Don't sabotage yourself before you begin.... I know, I should listen to myself! lol We don't become overweight overnite, so we can't expect it to all come off that quickly, right? We're all here for support and motivation..... I think you have to be seriously ready for a change to make it happen, I'm three weeks in and sticking with it still... lol
  • dkbrooks12
    dkbrooks12 Posts: 1
    Options
    One day at a time! decide on one "nutrient" to pay attention to--If you have diabetes--do carbs if you just want tolose weight do fats -Find out what your fat intake should be per day and just track that--I have been doingthat for 13 weeks and have lost 12 pounds!!

Do not set high unrealistic goals for yourself--If you go into thinking about failing and set huge goals --then you would likely be settingyourself up for failure. Pick a goal for the day or the week and stick withthat--then add another when you are ready--

These need to be changes for a lifetime--not just during weight loss period!!
    Applaud your successes and learn from your slips--
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Welome to MFP! I think you are having the same issue that most of us have or had. I am thankfully in the "had" column...

my suggestion is one step at a time (so maybe just start with logging, then calculate your BMR and TDEE and set a calorie goal, then work on reducing portion size, lift heavy things, etc. etc. Every small step gets us part of the way there. Every small success makes it easier to believe we can do this.

FInally, learn to keep a steady stream of positive self-talk going in your head. Eventually that inner voice becomes your loudest cheer leader. You can do this!
  • jgsav91
    jgsav91 Posts: 6
    Options
    Another very important tip that may or may not have been previously mentioned is that IF you give into temptation, don't let that be the end of your lfiestyle change. We are all human, and I know the last time I attempted to make this change I gave in and I let it end my change. It should not be the end. We're all human, and that is something you have to remember when something like that happens!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    focus on the process and becoming a healthier and fitter you...you don't have to do a 180 overnight, people who try to do that usually fail. Take it one day at a time...do better today than you did yesterday and do better tomorrow than you did today. If you establish a dietary lifestyle that is oriented towards proper nutrition and balance, the rest will take care of itself.
  • rainbows1994
    Options
    You won't fail! Feel free to add me as a friend for motivation! Having friends on here really helps
  • Rjohnsonjr32
    Rjohnsonjr32 Posts: 117
    Options
    Mizfitsladies: The toughest thing for most people is to get their mind right. the one thing I tell people when going on this lifestyle change journey is to have fun with it. Think of fun ways to do things. Feel free to ad me if you like. You need good people to help motivate you and keep you on track. Just know that you are going to have some bad weeks and some bad days. Leave those in the past and just move forward. Again feel free to add me or message with any questions. It is a long journey but worth it!! Have fun!!!
  • ravenbard
    ravenbard Posts: 51
    Options
    With the help of others, you will succeed... not saying you can't do it alone but they say with friends to support you, it will be easier. Afterall we all used to be skinny and don't know who that person in the mirror is we see now. Hang in there and believe in yourself... You CAN do this..You can.

Can I be your new friend?
  • Royalsbatwench
    Royalsbatwench Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • ravenbard
    Options
    You are so right in saying that... I would love to be your friend. I only joined yesterday.
  • ravenbard
    Options
    Will power is hard to have when you are feeliing like you are starving. Just take a day at a time or even an hour at a time. Do you have any hobbies? That passes the time fast. If you don't, would you want to find one?
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Failure is not falling down, failure is refusing to get back up. So if you stumble, you stumble. We all make mistakes and we all have off days, but what is important is getting back on the wagon and trying again.
  • mizfitsladies
    Options
    I would like to thank everyone for your comments. Today will be the beginning to a loss of weight lol.....congratulations to you all for your successes