list of MONSANTO GMO companies

Options

Replies

• MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    how can you boycott kool-aid when you've already drank it?

:)
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    To the original poster -- you do understand that everything you eat has been genetically modified over the last 2000 years or so of farming and domestication don't you? Or perhaps its just "evil" corporations that you dislike.

As you said tinfoil meet head -- head meet tinfoil.

Regardless of whether you have problems with GMO foods, Monsanto is a company with poor ethics. I shun their products where I find them for this reason only.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

Regardless of whether you have problems with GMO foods, Monsanto is a company with poor ethics. I shun their products where I find them for this reason only.

Agree! They are bullies.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    If you care about what you put into your system being as wholesome as possible, You should look at this list, if not, just consider me a guy with tin foil hat.
    monsanto_companies.jpg

If I eat these will I become a genetically modified Super human?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Monsanto sucks! They are ruining our food supply and killing people. Small farmers are being forced out of business, those in India are drinking 'Round-Up' to have their suicides shown as a stand against Monsanto even.

LOL...those people be dumb!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Monsanto sucks! They are ruining our food supply and killing people. Small farmers are being forced out of business, those in India are drinking 'Round-Up' to have their suicides shown as a stand against Monsanto even.

wow, really? Those people are living in an extremely poor country trying to do their best to survive. I'm sure you know all about 3rd world problems though. Why don't you go research their plight on your Iphone.
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To the original poster -- you do understand that everything you eat has been genetically modified over the last 2000 years or so of farming and domestication don't you? Or perhaps its just "evil" corporations that you dislike.

I'm unaware of any ethics issues with the company. If you mean they make money and are good at what they do (i.e. sell lots of products at market sustainable prices) and deliver results for consumers and investors then I again repeat my assertion -- its not Monsanto that you dislike its "evil" corporations.
  • OhNoSheDidnt
    OhNoSheDidnt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Marking
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Good thing I only smoke phillip morris products!!
    And they should be forgiven for trying to extend the food supply.
  • jemmers6
    jemmers6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Breeding for traits is not genetically modifying a plant. Certainly not to the point that Monsanto has been doing with gene splicing. Historically, farmers kept the seeds of the plants that showed traits they were looking for, ie, frost-hardiness, insect resistance, drought-hardiness, etc. , and bred them together. Over time, (decades!) they got what they wanted. Or not. The one who tried crossing the lettuce and the radish to get a plant that had edible tops and roots comes to mind. The result was the top of a radish and the roots of the lettuce. One wonders if he knew of beets.

Breeding is not the same as genetically modifying as we define it in GMO foods. Through breeding, one can always breed back to the original specimen. GMO foods have been altered at the genetic - DNA - level and the specimen is missing DNA or has DNA added - or both - and can never go back to the original.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Its a good thing I don't eat processed foods.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Instead of wasting your energy figuring out who to boycott, work towards legislation to LABEL our foods.
  • pinkpatron
    pinkpatron Posts: 154
    Options
    There's an APP in the making so when you go grocery shopping, you can scan the barcode and it will tell you if the company supports any causes (good and bad), where the food came from and other things.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

wow, really? Those people are living in an extremely poor country trying to do their best to survive. I'm sure you know all about 3rd world problems though. Why don't you go research their plight on your Iphone.

Um...no. Drinking Round Up to 'send a message'. IS dumb. Really dumb.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i've conducted extensive research which has identified you as a likely customer for a bridge that i am trying to sell in Brooklyn. i have just 2 questions for you:

1) when would you like to take ownership?
    2) how would you like to pay?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I'm unaware of any ethics issues with the company. If you mean they make money and are good at what they do (i.e. sell lots of products at market sustainable prices) and deliver results for consumers and investors then I again repeat my assertion -- its not Monsanto that you dislike its "evil" corporations.

I personally don't have a problem with GMOs nor do I have a problem with corporations (really - I like money too) but there are things Monsanto does that bother me. For instance, suing a farmer for selling a crop that the wind blew GM pollen from a Monsanto branded crop from a neighboring field because he didn't 'pay' them for using their plants to profit. That's beyond anyone's control.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options

if you think what Monsanto has been doing for the last couple decades (especially the last decade) is even remotely comparable to what general agriculture has done over the last 2000 years, you've got your head in the sand.

The type of genetic modification that Monsanto does has pretty much nothing in common with general agricultural processes.
  • affacat
    Options
    Instead of wasting your energy figuring out who to boycott, work towards legislation to LABEL our foods.

This rarely works. The corporate lobbyists are too strong and any final legislation is corrupted. There are tons of articles on this online, but talking to any small farmer will accomplish the same first hand.

two easy examples:
    1) organic certification is not only unduly expensive, but often allows practices that most wouldn't consider organic. the end result is that large corporations can often get products that aren't truly organic labeled as organic, while small farmers that have been organic for decades can not afford certification. i know a dozen farmers in my general area that can not afford the certification. my local coop visits their farms before allowing them to sell at the farmer's market

2) 'cage-free' and 'free range' chickens often aren't. the amount of area required to label a chicken 'free-range' is ridiculously small and would not pass the 'common sense' test. plenty of vids online showing what some 'free range' or 'cage free' chicken ranches actually look like. do not get me wrong - there are definitely cage free / free range farmers (and i know quite a few) but the label in and of itself is nearly meaningless. unless you or someone you trust visits the farm, don't trust the label.

legislating this sort of thing rarely works. the corporations with the worst practices (like Monsanto) control the legislation. sad, but very true. you can see the same effect in the pharmaceutical industry, where it can cost millions to get something past the FDAA, which means big pharm can afford it, but no one has the capital to submit natural solutions that aren't protected by patents).

best case scenario -- visit your local farms and buy direct from the ones you like.
    second best case -- buy from a local coop that has a strict farm review policy.
    third best -- buy responsibly based on the label, and hope for the best... knowing it's not always true.
    obviously, finances and geographical location will affect how easy each step is... i'm fortunate that i have access to many farmers, and i know some neighborhoods don't even have access to organic food at the supermarket. do what you can.

relying on legislation, though, isn't going to accomplish much of anything.
  • affacat
    Options
    I'm unaware of any ethics issues with the company.

Monsanto is widely regarded as one of the most 'evil' corporations on the planet by those paying attention. just because you haven't researched it doesn't make it false. they have done some awful, awful things, all widely verifiable.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm unaware of any ethics issues with the company.

Monsanto is widely regarded as one of the most 'evil' corporations on the planet by those paying attention. just because you haven't researched it doesn't make it false. they have done some awful, awful things, all widely verifiable.

wrong.

laughably wrong. :laugh:

http://www.troymedia.com/2013/03/06/the-junk-science-clowns-behind-the-gmo-scare/