Creating S.M.A.R.T goals for June

Options
I'm stepping away from the scales as they have been doing nothing for me. I am creating S.M.A.R.T. goals for myself for the month of June. Its TIME FOR ME TO GET REAL! Its that time of year where I'm embarrassed to show my arms and legs AGAIN. I can't hide in sweatshirts and jeans anymore and I told myself last summer I wouldn't be here again. But I am. I need to make myself accountable. My goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely (S.M.A.R.T) so here goes!

Full body weight train OR JM 2x a week
HIIT 3x a week
Cut down on night eating
Cut down on alcohol
Listen to meditation at least 3x per week

I know from experience that if I set up monsterous goals, then I won't attain them. I need something that I can touch and taste. So, I'm putting it out there so I STAY ON TRACK. Let's hear your goals!

Replies

• jennorris1991
    jennorris1991 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Keep it up! I will join you!! Lets get in those shorts by august!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm stepping away from the scales as they have been doing nothing for me. I am creating S.M.A.R.T. goals for myself for the month of June. Its TIME FOR ME TO GET REAL! Its that time of year where I'm embarrassed to show my arms and legs AGAIN. I can't hide in sweatshirts and jeans anymore and I told myself last summer I wouldn't be here again. But I am. I need to make myself accountable. My goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely (S.M.A.R.T) so here goes!

HIIT 3x a week
    Cut down on night eating
    Cut down on alcohol

I know from experience that if I set up monsterous goals, then I won't attain them. I need something that I can touch and taste. So, I'm putting it out there so I STAY ON TRACK. Let's hear your goals!

How does one "listen" to meditation? Those are all good goals, otherwise. I'm taking things on a day-by-day basis. My goal today is not to eat any sweets. I am terrible at complying with my plans when they are too grandiose or there are too many.

I'm also trying to meditate for 10 minutes every day. I've been trying to be consistent for months, but I always manage to skip a day. I use a great smartphone app called Insight Timer.

I think it's a bad idea to stop weighing oneself regularly. Problems that could be dealt with are compounded when you float in a cloud of ignorance.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options

HIIT 3x a week
    Cut down on night eating
    Cut down on alcohol

How does one "listen" to meditation? Those are all good goals, otherwise. I'm taking things on a day-by-day basis. My goal today is not to eat any sweets. I am terrible at complying with my plans when they are too grandiose or there are too many.

I'm also trying to meditate for 10 minutes every day. I've been trying to be consistent for months, but I always manage to skip a day. I use a great smartphone app called Insight Timer.

I think it's a bad idea to stop weighing oneself regularly. Problems that could be dealt with are compounded when you float in a cloud of ignorance.

Sorry - I mean listen to my meditation CD. And I don't think stop weighing myself is bad when you have a measuring tape and you go by how your clothes fit.
  • WanderingLass
    WanderingLass Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Lovely goals!!! You got this!!
  • WanderingLass
    Options

Did you miss the part where her scale is doing nothing? If she is losing fat mass and increasing lean body mass, that scale won't do anything but frustrate here whereas smaller clothes and measurements will give her the rewards of her efforts. She's not being ignorant -- she's simply using a different method than the scale. And one that will, at this point, be more effective at showing her how her body is changing.
  • KristyHumphrey
    Options

Did you miss the part where her scale is doing nothing? If she is losing fat mass and increasing lean body mass, that scale won't do anything but frustrate here whereas smaller clothes and measurements will give her the rewards of her efforts. She's not being ignorant -- she's simply using a different method than the scale. And one that will, at this point, be more effective at showing her how her body is changing.

Yea!! ^^^ That's right! Thanks babe!
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    How does one "listen" to meditation?
    ^^ I know what the OP meant by listening to meditation.....no need to nitpick. There is a very big difference between allowing oneself to "float in a cloud of ignorance" and stepping away for a time to reassess priorities and move in a healthy direction with one's goals.
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am all for creating SMART goals for June!!! I create them at work but haven't really specifically done it for losing weight!

I have to think about mine...if you want feed back I would say make "cut back on alcohol" more specific and measurable...because I always aim to "cut back" but i think if you really want it to be something you can achieve maybe say something more like Only consume 2 alcoholic drinks per week or somehting like that so you know if you reach your goal or not. just an idea....
  • SRusso1129
    SRusso1129 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Completely agree with you there...I actually just posted a blog about leaving the scale alone for a while. There are other tools out there to recognize when our bodies change.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    ^^ I know what the OP meant by listening to meditation.....no need to nitpick. There is a very big difference between allowing oneself to "float in a cloud of ignorance" and stepping away for a time to reassess priorities and move in a healthy direction with one's goals.

Sorry if you think basic English is nitpicking. It is my opinion that people who are having trouble losing weight do themselves a disservice when they ignore the scale. If you don't want other people's opinions, don't post.
  • SRusso1129
    Options

HIIT 3x a week
    Cut down on night eating
    Cut down on alcohol

Love the idea of SMART goals. I've never heard of the acronym before. And as another poster mentioned...having something specific is important (ie. the number of alcoholic beverages). I think mine might be none during the week and maybe two on the weekends. Will have to ponder more goals, but thanks for posting! Great idea!!
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

Completely agree with you there...I actually just posted a blog about leaving the scale alone for a while. There are other tools out there to recognize when our bodies change.

I've read several posts by people who say they are abandoning the scale. I don't believe that's a good thing. That is my opinion.
  • SRusso1129
    Options

Sorry if you think basic English is nitpicking. It is my opinion that people who are having trouble losing weight do themselves a disservice when they ignore the scale. If you don't want other people's opinions, don't post.

For me...ignoring the scale does not mean I'm having trouble losing weight. I'm well aware when I've hit that magical number , without even stepping on the scale. It has everything to do with what I put in my mouth and the lack of exercise. Yes, it may help people feel more accountable, but like another poster mentioned...one may feel frustrated when their body composition is changing and they don't see the numbers decline on the scale.
  • WanderingLass
    Options

You nicely gave your opinion that you thought it was a bad idea. You pushed it when you said "float in a cloud of ignorance." OP has lost 25 pounds. She has 31 to go from when she set the current ticker. She knows what she's doing.

I guess, though, since you needed an explanation of how one listens to meditation, I should be more empathetic to your not understanding telling someone they're floating in a cloud of ignorance might be construed as an insult...since clearly listening to meditation is not a stand-alone phrase....and there are no options such as CDs, mp3s, live streams, DVDs.....
  • SRusso1129
    Options

I've read several posts by people who say they are abandoning the scale. I don't believe that's a good thing. That is my opinion.

So you keep your scale and I'll hide mine for a bit. Either way...I wish you the best of luck on your weight loss journey! That is, after all, the point of all of us being here! :wink:
  • SRusso1129
    Options

You nicely gave your opinion that you thought it was a bad idea. You pushed it when you said "float in a cloud of ignorance." OP has lost 25 pounds. She has 31 to go from when she set the current ticker. She knows what she's doing.

I guess, though, since you needed an explanation of how one listens to meditation, I should be more empathetic to your not understanding telling someone they're floating in a cloud of ignorance might be construed as an insult...since clearly listening to meditation is not a stand-alone phrase....and there are no options such as CDs, mp3s, live streams, DVDs.....

I'm very new to meditating and just discovered podcasts! Love those things. Without listening to the guided meditation podcasts I wouldn't know where to start! My brain never seems to shut off and they really do help keep me focused.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There's nothing ignorant about not weighing yourself if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing. It could actually work as an incentive. Barring any medical conditions, losing weight & exercising is completely psychological. The scale is by no means an accurate measure. All the goals you mentioned are positive changes that you will be incorporating into your lifestyle. That's all that matters. Good for you! Work those goals until they become habitual and build upon them.
  • KristyHumphrey
    Options
    I am all for creating SMART goals for June!!! I create them at work but haven't really specifically done it for losing weight!

I have to think about mine...if you want feed back I would say make "cut back on alcohol" more specific and measurable...because I always aim to "cut back" but i think if you really want it to be something you can achieve maybe say something more like Only consume 2 alcoholic drinks per week or somehting like that so you know if you reach your goal or not. just an idea....

Thanks! Good idea!
  • KristyHumphrey
    Options

Exactly! :happy:
  • SRusso1129
    Options
    OK...so my S.M.A.R.T. (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely) goals for June

Kickboxing class 2x/week
    Walk or Walk/Run 2x/week
    Track everything eaten on MFP
    Limit alcohol to 2 drinks only on weekends
    Limit coffee to 2 cups only on weekends
    Meditate for 10 mins daily

The challenge for me will be to get them all done. Especially the exercising and the meditating.
    You can't ever find the time...you've got to make the time. I think I'll be adding a few more appointments for myself!