Should I try Advocare or just stick with my current goals?

Options
I weigh 228 right now and just signed up with My Fitness Pal which I LOVE! I was thinking to only consume 1,100 to 1,200 calories a day, drink a lot of water, and exercise for one hour a day BUT I was thinking of doing Advocare. How many calories does one consume daily on that? I haven't been able to get an estimate on it. Can you eat all the vegetables and fruits you want? I don't want to starve on Advocare because then I'll gain the weight back. I was thinking of doing the 24 Day Challenge. Any advice would help me tremendously and I would appreciate it! :)

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    You JUST signed up on here? If so, then you should give this a chance first before you go to try Advocare.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    no. Just use this app/website as it's designed. There's no point in doing it. Why pay more for that when you can have real food, at a reasonable deficit, lose weight, and not have to choke down godawful shakes?

The forums have been full of people that sign up for this website, then hit the forums for shortcuts/jumpstarters/kickstarters/cheats...

You'll see a dozen accounts with 2 forums posts, that have been around for maybe a week... and they're asking what shortcuts are available or how the community feels about them. Sure, it's just my .02, but you're here.. you've already signed up for the best tool you can use. Track your intake, eat back your ex. calories, and just be patient. This is a marathon, OP, not a sprint.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer to spend my money on good quality, healthy food and learn to eat in "the real world". There really isn't a lasting quick fix. It all comes down to eating sensibly, not depriving yourself to the point of dropping out, and getting up and becoming more active. If you just concentrate on using this site as intended and realize a slow and steady pace is better as it gives you the time and knowledge needed for long term weight loss...you'll be just fine. Give yourself a fair amount of time to try the natural way before investing your money in the packaged plan.
  • armestopancakes
    Options
    Thank you so much for your feedback on this matter. I am so tired of being big. I am going to try My Fitness Pal and see where it takes me. This is my second day using this tool. Also, I don't want to lose weight so quickly. I've done that in the past and gained it all back. Lol.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your feedback on this matter. I am so tired of being big. I am going to try My Fitness Pal and see where it takes me. This is my second day using this tool. Also, I don't want to lose weight so quickly. I've done that in the past and gained it all back. Lol.

Also, I'd really suggest reading some of the sticky posts here, 1,100 and 1,200 calories per day is too low. Way too low. I'd suggest calculating your BMR and not going below that. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I weigh 228 right now and just signed up with My Fitness Pal which I LOVE! I was thinking to only consume 1,100 to 1,200 calories a day, drink a lot of water, and exercise for one hour a day BUT I was thinking of doing Advocare. How many calories does one consume daily on that? I haven't been able to get an estimate on it. Can you eat all the vegetables and fruits you want? I don't want to starve on Advocare because then I'll gain the weight back. I was thinking of doing the 24 Day Challenge. Any advice would help me tremendously and I would appreciate it! :)

I have done the Advocare 24 Day Challenge and it works. To those who think you don't eat real food, you are wrong. 24 Day Challenge actually teaches you the right way to eat. Do I sell it? Yes. Doesn't change the way I feel or the facts. Good luck on your journey.
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am on day 15 (I think) of the Advocare 24 day challenge, after losing around 25 pounds on my own (using MFP). I regret spending the money on it, and the $$ is the only reason I'm finishing it.

Figure out how many calories you should be eating, and give yourself a little time to figure out the best way to fill up on those allotted calories. Figure out what healthy foods you really like and start with those, then add other things in through trial and error. For example, I always have spinach in my fridge- I put it in omelets, in a salad with strawberries and almonds, in smoothies, or just in a regular dinner salad.

You didn't gain the weight in one day, you won't lose it in one day, either. It's going to take time.

Good luck.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love Advocare products (loooooove Spark) and use many of them (I'm also a distributor but only to my close friends and not for profit) and I agree with other the other MFPeeps on this one......just try watching what you eat and working out. You'd be amazed at the results you can get. It's not easy at all but it is worth it. If I've learned anything about weightloss and fitness in the last 3 years.....it's that there are no shortcuts.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Although I don't doubt the quality of advocare's products, they seem rather overpriced. You can usually find similar products from other companies which are much cheaper. The only thing of theirs I liked was rehydrate and I used it just to prevent hangovers. But I didn't like the fact that it relaxed me more than I liked, likely from the B12. I had to make sure never to take the stuff until after my workout.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u are 22 8 pound s u need a lot more calerie sthan u a re planning on
    like 1800- 2000
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    dont know anything about other program stick with thios
  • toastis
    toastis Posts: 6
    Options

Hopefully you are doing well. It takes awhile to achieve a new lifestyle and different way of looking at food. I am trying Advocare as I plateau'd and just needed a way to jumpstart my metabolism. So far it's working well, it's a lot of vitamins and such. I wouldn't suggest Advocare's plan unless you are absolutely prepared to give yourself to the plan. If you work with the plan it will help but not working with it, just costs money and disappointment. I lost over 100lbs the "right" way, by eating the right foods and exercising. Take it slow, change minimally one bad eating habit at a time until you have eliminated most of them, remember moderation when you do go off the plan and worse case exercise the cheating off. You'll get there, trust me, sometimes cutting one type of food out results in a huge difference.

Good luck to you.
  • bogle34
    bogle34 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just started the Advocare today! My doctor recomends I do 1200 calories, keep working out, drink plenty of water!
    I am doing the 24 day challenge, it is pricey, but hopefully it will motivate me to watch what I eat! Let see how I do in this new adventure? :ohwell: