Planks - forearm vs palm

Options
The more I read the more It seems like a 50/50 split to me... some say palm is easier because there's more muscle groups involved.
Some say forearm is easier because it's using your skeleton/bones to hold you more than your muscles.

Does anyone know with certainty?
I've found evidence to support both theories, so remain confused.

Replies

• jirocpa
    jirocpa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My guess...no science to back it up... is that if palm-style is using more muscle groups then I would think it would be preferred, unless you have a physical condition that precludes you from doing it. Isn't the goal here to hold it longer and get stronger, regardless of which method you use? Use both if you don't get any definitive answers. Progress should be the goal, and not focusing on any one motion or move.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Isn't the term "easier" relative? Palms may be easier for one person while forearms is easier for another. If one is 'easier" for you, try doing the other. I find my wrists start to hurt in the palm positive, but my shoulders hurt quicker in the forearms position, I think. I'll have to experiment and see.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Only personal experience but I can hold a high plank on my palms much longer than a low plank on forearms. My guess is that it's easier to cheat yourself in a high plank. My trainer usually has to correct my form, as my butts to high or sometimes to low. On a low plank, my abs feel much more engaged.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Only personal experience but I can hold a high plank on my palms much longer than a low plank on forearms. My guess is that it's easier to cheat yourself in a high plank. My trainer usually has to correct my form, as my butts to high or sometimes to low. On a low plank, my abs feel much more engaged.

This is my experience also. When I plank, I do forearms to target abs.
  • ccj14339
    ccj14339 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out this article. Has a great video at the end of it too. Explains the difference between the two variations of the plank pose.
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8371/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-plank-pose.html.

(Ignore the picture of the woman doing a forearm plank in the article. It is not the author of the article and she points out that the woman's form is actually incorrect elsewhere. The woman in the picture has her back arched, and isn't engaging her core correctly.). If you have time, do watch the video at the end of the article. The author really demonstrates both variations nicely.

Hope it helps.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My guess...no science to back it up... is that if palm-style is using more muscle groups then I would think it would be preferred, unless you have a physical condition that precludes you from doing it. Isn't the goal here to hold it longer and get stronger, regardless of which method you use? Use both if you don't get any definitive answers. Progress should be the goal, and not focusing on any one motion or move.

I agree, it sure seems like there's no science to back it up.
    Check out this article. Has a great video at the end of it too. Explains the difference between the two variations of the plank pose.
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8371/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-plank-pose.html.

(Ignore the picture of the woman doing a forearm plank in the article. It is not the author of the article and she points out that the woman's form is actually incorrect elsewhere. The woman in the picture has her back arched, and isn't engaging her core correctly.). If you have time, do watch the video at the end of the article. The author really demonstrates both variations nicely.

Hope it helps.

Thanks, I'll definitely read this article and watch the video.

Thanks for all the input guys. I wasn't really looking for advice on which to do based on what feels easy or right for me. I really do want to know the difference between the two methods. Which is better for reason X. Which is better for reason Y.
    I can easily decide 'blah' is better for me because... but what I'm looking for is, done correctly, which is a better/more stable exercise... I guess in a nutshell, like jirocpa touched on, I'm looking for the science behind the them.
    :)

It seems like a very popular exercise with very little real information available.
    I wonder if a yoga instructor would know; hmm.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i go with the one that feels hardest for me, which happens to be in forearms. but my friend fins the palm version harder. the work supporting muscles in your upper body differently so there is no such generic thing as one is easier than the other because it will depend on how strong you are in those supporting muscles.
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've always done forearm planks - gotta love the snazzy red battle wounds I get from the carpeting. :smile:
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    I've always done forearm planks - gotta love the snazzy red battle wounds I get from the carpeting. :smile:

hahah "battle wounds" - it seems like every exercise I do marks me in one way or another. ;)

ccj14339, awesome video! That really helped explain planking in general and why both are effective, but palm may be preferred. If nothing else, I learned that arm position is as important as torso. I'll watch that a few more times, as I feel there is much to learn from it. Thanks again!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    forearms = harder.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I never even knew there was a "palm" version.

You may find this short article with video interesting on a plank variation that seems to hit the abs a bit more than the conventional planks. http://bretcontreras.com/the-rkc-plank/
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I've only ever hear of forearms...
  • shy_46
    shy_46 Posts: 36
    Options
    My trainer has me doing them on my forrarms. I find that I use more muscle groups. I have tried it the other way but found it to be easy for me.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I find forearms easier ....

Best of both worlds?
    palm to forearm and back down while maintaining good form
    Some call them "walking" planks but I've heard other names for the routine
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    Great thread! I never even knew there was a "palm" version.

You may find this short article with video interesting on a plank variation that seems to hit the abs a bit more than the conventional planks. http://bretcontreras.com/the-rkc-plank/

Great, thanks I'll check this out now. :)