Do you lack motivation to go to the gym too?

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    You'll never fix this until you find something you actually enjoy...

I tried it all and learned that I just love zumba --- now I actually plan my week around it.
    I have 3 classes I never miss... and people who notice when I'm not there because we all stand in the same area.

For me, walking on the treadmill, doing DVDS at home etc... they work for about 2 days and I die of bored :)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Early bird gets the worm.....or workout in this case lol

but the second mouse gets the cheese....
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    I don't love the gym, but I love the high I get when I'm done. I feel so proud of myself. I am one that for years didn't want to go to the gym because I felt that I was overweight and that everyone would stare at me, I wasted so much of my life being worried about what others might think of me, shying away from putting any attention on myself. So I hold on to that feeling I get when I'm done, THAT is my motivation. I don't find lifting weights to be pleasant, the buuuuuurn. I invested in a personal trainer and that helps me a LOT too, I don't have a choice to be at the gym at a specific hour for my training session :) Right now I'm doing twice a week with the trainer for an hour of weight lifting, and I have a Fitbit that I wear all day and make sure that I don't go to bed before achieving my 10000 steps. Which means that sometimes at 11:30pm I'm walking laps around the house :P Whatever it takes!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I personally have to go to the gym after work, because I'm not a morning person at all and the fact i get up for work at all is a tiny miracle.

This seems a little tedious, but on Sunday I pack 5 days worth of gym clothes in my car. Then I just transfer day by day to my gym bag. Eliminates the no time to pack a gym bag excuse. I also keep my gym shoes in the car at all times for the same reason.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Nope... I think about not going and I say, "Really, are you going to regret it AFTER you go?" I know I won't so I go.

I also have a magnet on my fridge from Jillian Michaels that says "Why chose to FAIL when SUCCESS is an option?"

I chose success any day!
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Can you go before work? I've learned to LOVE an early workout!

This is what I was going to say as well. I find it a lot harder to go after work. The first couple of weeks getting up before the sun rises is kinda hard, but you get used to it. That way you aren't even a wake enough to come up with excuses and you just go. Then your workout is done for the day. I am a single mom too, so I also love how it doesn't take any time away from my children.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/yoovie/view/congrats-on-finding-your-motivation-again-537323

Motivation isn't the problem. Commit to it. I personally prefer morning workouts for this reason. You have no excuses at 6am. Get it done and then you can sit on your *kitten* after work OR sneak in a 2nd workout! :drinker:

This is a good idea. I think early AM workouts won't allow for many of my excuses I've been telling myself lately, lol.
  • As previously suggested, try going first thing in your day. I simply cannot workout in the afternoon, even if I make it to the gym.
    If you have to get up earlier to make it work, try going to bed a little earlier. It will be worth it!
    Or maybe, you need to find something you enjoy more than the gym. Try everything you can think of!
  • crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Pictures and Goals Help. I've often went into workouts with pre-workout drink which gets me through it like a BEAST
  • SO if motivation is 100% all me then why is it that even this website says 90% of woman that have friends to lose weight with will more likely succeed. Because they have MOTIVATION from eachother. I get what all of you are saying about packing my car at night and going in the morning to the gym and i may just try that. But other than that i guess i was looking for someone that has the same problem with me on here and we could coach eachother daily. It seems that you all have pulled yourselves together and figured it out so i will look else where for the support i was looking for! As for people saying i am not into losing weight...hmmm my diet hasn't changed just because i can't seem to go to the gym.... so i am losing weight just not as fast as i know it would be if i included the gym
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    the difference is you almost have to make it so that there is no other option. Am i motivated to cook dinner after work? Usually not, but i have to do it because my family needs to eat dinner. I might make an easy or quick recipe, but it gets done. Your health should be the same way.

It also helps to find things that you genuinely enjoy doing. If you hate running, don't force yourself to plug away on a treadmill. Cardio for me includes primarily Zumba or riding bike. I thoroughly enjoy heavy lifting so that takes up 3 days of my week.
  • I like that idea. The only problem is i have heard woman tend to lose more weight and get in shape faster with cardio.... you are right though i don't really enjoy cardio... sad part for me is i know it needs to be done
  • hazelsmrf
    MaryJane, that's why I hired a personal trainer, there are several days where I would have chosen to not go to the gym if it was an option :) But losing the 40$ or whatever it costs me to cancel at the last minute hurts more than the 50 minutes of pain, so I go :) I do better as well when I'm accountable to someone else. You're not alone!
  • hazelsmrf
    Also I think that thinking negatively about the gym just reinforces the not wanting to go. I think you kind of need to lie to yourself and tell yourself that you love the gym. You loooooooooove it. Even if you're lying right now, think in positive terms, I truly believe that the subconscious DOES pick up on that.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    I'm with the morning people on this one.
    I'm up at 3:30 to be done and at work by 6:00. I lose sleep to do it.

My motivation is simple. No one else will do this for me and it must be done.
  • da_bears10089
    I like that idea. The only problem is i have heard woman tend to lose more weight and get in shape faster with cardio.... you are right though i don't really enjoy cardio... sad part for me is i know it needs to be done

I used to be a cardio junkie. I would sit on elliptical for an hour, AT LEAST, every day. Yeah, i lost weight, but i lost LBM along with it. At least if you do some lifting even just 3 days a week, that will help you retain your existing muscle. The number on the scale might not go down as quickly, but if you are losing inches, does the scale really matter?
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    SO if motivation is 100% all me then why is it that even this website says 90% of woman that have friends to lose weight with will more likely succeed. Because they have MOTIVATION from eachother. I get what all of you are saying about packing my car at night and going in the morning to the gym and i may just try that. But other than that i guess i was looking for someone that has the same problem with me on here and we could coach eachother daily. It seems that you all have pulled yourselves together and figured it out so i will look else where for the support i was looking for! As for people saying i am not into losing weight...hmmm my diet hasn't changed just because i can't seem to go to the gym.... so i am losing weight just not as fast as i know it would be if i included the gym

First you said you wanted tricks. Now you're saying you just want a buddy. Which is it?

There aren't really any tricks, it's not a magic show.
    There aren't really any tips, it's not a ****.

Motivation has to come from you wanting to work out more than you want to be fat. A buddy can help provide accountability to help you along but you have to have already decided that you will do it or you'll just end up telling your buddy to get tossed when they bug you after you no longer have your internal motivation. And that's not what you asked for in your OP. You asked for a trick or a tip.
  • da_bears10089
    just a side note... the OP deactivated
  • Susan_fessler
    Susan_fessler Posts: 56 Member
    I would never go to the gym after work, I can find to many reasons why I don't go, I really can't fine a "reason" to no go first thing in the AM. I go before work and have rarely missed a day because of it, I even switched jobs and get up at 5:30am now to go but it is totally worth it. My husband even switched to my gym and go with me 3 days a week because he ran into the same problem with trying to go after work.
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    On the rare occassion that I get to do morning workouts I feel FABULOUS for getting it done. Usually it's only my days off that I can do mornings but I know regardless I have to hold myself accountable. The motivation or gratification I have is the sweat stained sports bra & shirt once I'm finished that hangs off my changing body. I know during the work week I have to go in the evenings and once I get there I'm golden. You will have to find your own "motivation" for going. My motivation is.... I like that my clothes are starting to fall off me and I desperately need a great reason to clear out ALL of my clothes and replace everything.