5X5 strong lift program

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I started on it - it was great. My only issue was that, because I run as well, squatting every session started bothering my knee once my weights got up there (with lighter weights, it was no problem). I recently switched to Wendler 5/3/1 because of that. However, I think Strong Lifts was the best way to get into weight lifting and helped me tremendously.

I've also switched to Wendler's 5/3/1... IMO Wendler is a more advanced approach and beginners should start with a 5x5 program almost regardless. If they are running or doing something else that "competes" with the lifting, they should program based on priority (running or lifting) rather than go to a more advanced program.

Just my $.02.

I get what you're saying, but I'm selfish and I refuse to give up either one. So, I'll use Wendler to make it work for me. I wouldn't recommend that someone start off with Wendler, but I also wouldn't consider myself a beginner. My form is on point. I get adequate nutrition. I've read Starting Strength and Wendler's book. I research and educate myself on lifting. And, I'm moving a pretty decent amount of weight (265lb squat 1rm at 181lbs body weight).

Weight lifting is more the priority right now - my mileage isn't very high, maybe 12 miles a week? And when I start training for big race I have in February (which will require me to really ramp up my miles), strength training will take a back seat (2 days a week, deloaded weights, which the Wendler program will allow me to do very nicely).

Thanks for your concern, but I'm good :)

I wasn't criticizing you at all, only making a clarification for the OP and other people who may read this that are getting into lifting. I've seen you enough on the boards to know you are probably good with what you're doing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I started on it - it was great. My only issue was that, because I run as well, squatting every session started bothering my knee once my weights got up there (with lighter weights, it was no problem). I recently switched to Wendler 5/3/1 because of that. However, I think Strong Lifts was the best way to get into weight lifting and helped me tremendously.

I've also switched to Wendler's 5/3/1... IMO Wendler is a more advanced approach and beginners should start with a 5x5 program almost regardless. If they are running or doing something else that "competes" with the lifting, they should program based on priority (running or lifting) rather than go to a more advanced program.

Just my $.02.

I get what you're saying, but I'm selfish and I refuse to give up either one. So, I'll use Wendler to make it work for me. I wouldn't recommend that someone start off with Wendler, but I also wouldn't consider myself a beginner. My form is on point. I get adequate nutrition. I've read Starting Strength and Wendler's book. I research and educate myself on lifting. And, I'm moving a pretty decent amount of weight (265lb squat 1rm at 181lbs body weight).

Weight lifting is more the priority right now - my mileage isn't very high, maybe 12 miles a week? And when I start training for big race I have in February (which will require me to really ramp up my miles), strength training will take a back seat (2 days a week, deloaded weights, which the Wendler program will allow me to do very nicely).

Thanks for your concern, but I'm good :)

I wasn't criticizing you at all, only making a clarification for the OP and other people who may read this that are getting into lifting. I've seen you enough on the boards to know you are probably good with what you're doing.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to suggest that anyone jump right into Wendler either. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm going to chime in again. I run and lift heavy. Squats and running are a killer. I put a priority on the lifting for a month.

Now that I'm more used to squats here is my run/squat routine. Using stronglifts 3x5

M - squats heaviest
    T- short run. ouch ouch ouch
    W - Squat, heavy or if I feel good, push it!
    Th - short run, not to bad
    F - pretty much deload just do it for the ROM so I don't tighten up, or skip squats.
    Sunday - long run
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 5. Did a lot of split routines over the years and I appreciate the simplicity of this....not to say the moves are just easy, but the idea of doing 3 exercises over 12 different specific area movements has its appeal. Either way I was one of the captain upper bodies that Mehdi was describing. After adding squats, deads, and presses to my workout, definitely seeing better results as well as leg definition. I think the program is pretty solid. If you don't have an iPhone, Liftbig is a good SL app for android. At this point I also appreciate my workouts only taking 30-45 mins every other day (for now til I need more time between sets LOL) \m/

PS....on non-lifting days I'll do some form of cardio....swim, elliptical, climbers, arc....typically won't do accessory lifting, especially the day of. \m/
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Just tried my first StrongLifts today, started with Set B. I'm using sandbags for the moment (38 lbs), so reps are more like 9 overhead, 12 squats, 20 deadlifts-- just what felt right to me. Took me about an hour because I'm a wuss.

Tried a short run after, planned 2 miles, could only make it 1.5 without knee pain. Glad to know it's probably the squats, but a strong rear end makes a strong runner, so I'm sure they complement each other if I can find the right mix. May have to split up up my running and lifting days more, but thought I'd give it a try. Thanks for this thread and all the trains of thought.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    SL5x5 for Starting Strength are both fine programs. If you're going to do Starting Strength my only critique is that it requires users to do Power Cleans. In my opinion, Power Cleans are 60% technique and 40% strength and not a good choice for beginners WITHOUT a good trainer to work with. I would sub Barbell Rows in their place if you don't.
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    SL5x5 for Starting Strength are both fine programs. If you're going to do Starting Strength my only critique is that it requires users to do Power Cleans. In my opinion, Power Cleans are 60% technique and 40% strength and not a good choice for beginners WITHOUT a good trainer to work with. I would sub Barbell Rows in their place if you don't.

I agree. I like Strong Lifts to start with, since it a) helps you to work on form by only giving you a few exercises to learn and perfect and b) because you get some great confidence by being able to up your weight each time.

I am on my 6 week of strong lifts, and as of today, I squatted my body weight (210) and benched 145 (my highest BP ever!)