Why I Don't Have A Photo.

Options

Replies

• genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    More power to the people who put up their own pics, but I'd rather be judged for having a comic character as my avatar than for my face or body. :P
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I guess I never really sat back and worried much about it. Maybe I will gain a stalker out of the deal and I will be on the ID channel and MFP will get some free pub. Who knows? One can dream right?
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I totally judge you for not posting a photo.

Oh wait, no. I'm actually a little surprised that so many people here do, since it's not the norm pretty much anywhere else other than maybe Facebook. But I do use the visual as a cue for who's posting, so all the generic no-avatar ones are the same person in my world.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were asking out of a true concern for your health. If I see someone on my friend's list only netting 800 calories, I WILL ask them about it. If they get offended, oh well. Maybe you get offended because you know you either have an eating disorder, or are borderline in developing one...?

How would a photo cofirm an eating disorder??

I honestly don't think this started from some random person asking for a photo. If it did, she could have easily shrugged it off. My guess is she's defending the fact that she weighs 98 pounds and wants to lose "a few vanity pounds", plus she fasts and is on a low-cal diet. Is it any of our business? Not really. She can do what she wants with her body. Is it wrong of someone to express concern and ask about it? I don't think so either... She obviously posts on the social forums and puts herself out there.

I'm not saying it is wrong to not have a picture. Several on my FL do not. I've never asked to see one. A few have their diaries closed- I HAVE asked them if they WANTED to open them. If not, oh well. I have had too many people on my FL go through 6 days of fasting, or only netting 200-800 calories per day. I am not going to say, "Oh, good job for being under your calorie goal" if I don't know HOW they stayed under. I don't think it's good to fast. I won't say anything unless it's longer than 2 or 3 days though... but I offend someone for asking them about their choices, oh well. I guess we shouldn't be friends, because that is just how I am.
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nice!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We disburse way too much information over the Internet. I don't fault you for not wanting to post a picture and wanting to keep a low profile.

This. I removed my picture when I googled my MFP name and saw my smiling face. My page was locked tho...

I just did the same and google not only came up with my MFP home page but the last 20 posts I have made on here. Make that 21 now. But then as an old man I'm not that bothered.

After reading this, I had to Google my name to see if my posts came up, but since my username and real name are not the same it did not. A lot of pics of other women with my name came up though, and oddly enough they were all blonde. Most of them sounded much more interesting than me.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Maybe they were asking out of a true concern for your health. If I see someone on my friend's list only netting 800 calories, I WILL ask them about it. If they get offended, oh well. Maybe you get offended because you know you either have an eating disorder, or are borderline in developing one...?

Glad you choose to have a photo. Looking great in that bikini!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think this started from some random person asking for a photo. If it did, she could have easily shrugged it off. My guess is she's defending the fact that she weighs 98 pounds and wants to lose "a few vanity pounds", plus she fasts and is on a low-cal diet. Is it any of our business? Not really. She can do what she wants with her body. Is it wrong of someone to express concern and ask about it? I don't think so either... She obviously posts on the social forums and puts herself out there.

I'm not saying it is wrong to not have a picture. Several on my FL do not. I've never asked to see one. A few have their diaries closed- I HAVE asked them if they WANTED to open them. If not, oh well. I have had too many people on my FL go through 6 days of fasting, or only netting 200-800 calories per day. I am not going to say, "Oh, good job for being under your calorie goal" if I don't know HOW they stayed under. I don't think it's good to fast. I won't say anything unless it's longer than 2 or 3 days though... but I offend someone for asking them about their choices, oh well. I guess we shouldn't be friends, because that is just how I am.

You forgot to mention how she slammed people who use measurements besides scale weight to judge their progress.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I like the people I'm chatting to, even in passing on a weight loss web site, to have faces - it makes them seem more real.

In line with that thought, my profile is open, all of my information on here is real and it's easy to find similarly open profiles of me on Facebook and Linked In. You can't have my bank details or SSN, but otherwise, I'm an open book, (available at the public library, read it or leave it.)

However, I realize that people are different and the not everyone is as open about everything as I am. I'll certainly stop short of having a go at someone who isn't as comfortable wearing her whole life on her sleeve.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I can understand why someone wouldn't want to post their picture. Completely a personal preference and should be respected.

I'm the opposite though and love pictures... can't help it. :wink:
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    We disburse way too much information over the Internet. I don't fault you for not wanting to post a picture and wanting to keep a low profile.

This. I removed my picture when I googled my MFP name and saw my smiling face. My page was locked tho...

I just did the same and google not only came up with my MFP home page but the last 20 posts I have made on here. Make that 21 now. But then as an old man I'm not that bothered.

I just did the same and the same happened. BUT then I realized it is because I am signed into the site on this browser. I typed it in through another browser and my profile came up as private, like I have it set.
    ETA: That's also why I recently changed my username so it doesn't have my real name in it anymore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Wow...OP would appear to have quite a lot of disordered thinking...most likely an ED as well. My guess is whomever asked for a picture is probably just concerned...my guess is the OP probably looks a bit gaunt.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Want a cookie? LOL what's the point of this post?
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    if you looked at the profile it clearly implies they do not support under eating nor fasting

everyone in this thread is too serious.

If someone offends you creeps you out or even perplexes you slightly...block them

It is what the button is for.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Probably because this the Internet and on the Internet if there's a picture; someone's probably going at it to that picture right now.
  • drinknderive
    drinknderive Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I want everyone to know how Sirius I am about my weight loss journey.
    Um, awesome.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I should post more about things that irritate me

BINGO!!!!
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Of course you are gonna find yourself if you specifically search for yourself and your specific username...
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I don't trust anyone who doesn't use a photo avatar on internet forums.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't have enough to do in their lives. Until I closed my diary I got nasty messages about the fact that I eat 1200 calories.

We've been friends pretty much since I joined here and your weight has been pretty stable since then (down something like 2 lbs?), you're at a healthy weight and your goals are in a healthy range for your height. Apparently some people like to scream ED about everything.

I have a photo because I like to have a face when I post in the forums but I can definitely see your point of view, especially after reading some of the responses here.