Not sure if I'm doing this right

Options
Hey everyone so I am 5'6 195lbs and exercise 5-6X a week (400-600 calorie loss each time) I also have a nursing type job that keeps me on my toes daily.
I'd like To lose another 30lbs.. (I've already lost 30lbs) so my daily intake is 1460 as per MFP for a 1.5lb/week weight loss..
Does this seem accurate? Can someone check my numbers?

Thanks!

Replies

• coop52
    coop52 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Put your info in here to calculate your BMR (the amount of calories you burn just by being alive). Make sure you eat more than this!
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Use this to find your TDEE (the calories you burn from daily activities). Cut a percentage of calories out from this (15% is the recommended amount), then eat what's left. EX if your TDEE is 2000, you cut out 300 calories, and eat 1700.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • in2theblu
    in2theblu Posts: 42
    Options
    Ok my BMR was 1696
    And my TDEE was 2612... I suck at math but what is 15% of that? 2200? Lol I really suck at math.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Put your info in here to calculate your BMR (the amount of calories you burn just by being alive). Make sure you eat more than this!

Use this to find your TDEE (the calories you burn from daily activities). Cut a percentage of calories out from this (15% is the recommended amount), then eat what's left. EX if your TDEE is 2000, you cut out 300 calories, and eat 1700.

I just checked these calculators and they seem rather dodgy. Their numbers are WAY off.

I'd recommend doing your calcs here:

http://iifym.com/calculators/

they are good and reliable.
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Ok so TDEE is 2725
    BMR is 1692

Soo now what do I do?

mFP is suggesting 1630 daily intake... Is this good? For 1.5lb/week weightloss.
    I seemed to hit a 5 week plateau.. When I started cutting calories to increase weight loss.. Went from 1630 to 1450 and stopped losing so I tried to lose 2lbs/ week with 1380 and I still haven't loss anymore weight.. Thinking i probably screwed myself by limiting calories when I needed to eat more to lose. If that makes sense? Anyways I'm desperate to figure this out.. I've tried everything .. Switching up exercises and foods.. Nothing. I'm thinking going back to 1630 may do the trick. Ill have to force myself to eat that since I usually only eat about 1450 comfortably.

Any help/input is appreciated.
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    im new at this too and I could be completely wrong, but from what I gather, you don't want to eat under your BMR (1692) and to lose weight, its you subtract 20% from your TDEE (2180). so keep your intake somewhere between there?
  • IMD918
    IMD918 Posts: 49
    Options
    Ok so TDEE is 2725
    BMR is 1692

Soo now what do I do?

Lol, if you follow what she is saying, you are going to cut 15% from the 2725. This would leave you eating 2,316 calories/day. This is much more than you are currently eating, so don't get discouraged if you don't lose weight as fast. That's because this is what is recommended for healthy weight loss, and generally speaking, 1.5lbs per week is not healthy weight loss. I know that you're going to be tempted to eat less than this, and honestly, that's ok, but try to stay around this number if possible. Eating less than this won't necessarily hurt you, since 2000 calories is plenty of nutrients for the average person, but as active as you are, those calories are going to help you get the energy you need to function.
  • coop52
    coop52 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I just checked these calculators and they seem rather dodgy. Their numbers are WAY off.

I'd recommend doing your calcs here:

http://iifym.com/calculators/

they are good and reliable.

Thanks for the link! I just used the first ones that came up on Google when I searched for calculators.
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Alright.. Yea I do a nursing type job.. And I also work out an hour a day about 5-6 X a week so I'm guessing 1300/cals a day is starvation almost for me anyway. I guess I figured I lost 30lbs on 1650 that to go for another 30 would be by dropping the cals. I don't really know lol
    I also has someone tell me this:
    Here's a general guideline for minimizing the negative effects of overly fast weight loss while still losing at a reasonable rate:

More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10lbs: 0.5 lb/ week

Which means I should be a 1lb/ week. So we'll see what happens at 1600(ish) calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok so TDEE is 2725
    BMR is 1692

so do TDEE -20%, to lose 1lb per week. which would be 2175 cals per day
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Lol I can barely eat 1400-1500 a day.. I don't think 2000 some is gunna happen. I guess I'll see how I feel.
  • ldiaz0303
    ldiaz0303 Posts: 13
    Options
    YOU HAVE TO EAT MORE. thats why you are not losing weight. I think your body has turn itself in defense mode. It holds on to anything u eat and thats why u see no results. try to eat at least 2000 of healthy foods. that should do the trick. trust me its necessary i had the same problem in the past.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I do think eating more is the way forward. I was stuck in a cycle of losing and gaining the same 2 pounds for about 6 weeks, upped my calories and am losing again. What you are eating currently doesn't seem enough for an active nurse to me! Stick with your plan, up them to about 1600 and you should start seeing a difference.

2000 may seem high but you don't add your exercise calories into that, unlike mfp calculations. :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    oh good, another 'i'm not losing weight but i couldnt possibly eat another calorie' excuse

there are plenty of high calorie foods that are good for you... and a bar of chocolate every now and then wont do you any harm either.... eat full fat milk and cheese and nuts and avocado, and you wont struggle to get 2000 cals!
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Lol no excuses here .. Ill try anything right now to see if this plateau falls.
    Thanks everyone .. I've been so frustrated .. Ppl saying lower ur cals then don't.. I really think I can up my cals.. My body probably went into survivor mode on 1380 cals.

Ill try avocado.. And whatever else is good but high in cals. I'm gunna be the fullest person in all of MFP. Lol
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Tks for this.... looks like I should be doing higher calories???
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Ill try avocado.. And whatever else is good but high in cals. I'm gunna be the fullest person in all of MFP. Lol

so you dont count milk or cheese or nuts as 'good'?
  • in2theblu
    Options
    Of course they're good. I just meant avocado is something I've never tried before
  • in2theblu
    Options
    I ate my 1700 sum calories today and exercised 500 cals loss... Feel great.. Waay better than the 1300/1400 I was doing the last 2 weeks.

Eating is good lol definitely not into obtaining any disorders.. I'm half Italian.. I love to eat