What to do when you hate the Treadmill ??

Options
13»

Replies

• deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Walk
    Hike
    Bike
    Swim
    Dance
    Box
    Zumba
    Kayak
    Tennis
    Ultimate Frisbee
    Soccer
    Cardio DVDs
    Jump rope
    Jumping Jacks
    Burpees
    Skip
    Flail down a running path like Phoebe
    Go play basketball

^^^yep any of this works. don't do something you hate. find a few things you enjoy and do those. don't forget to do some resistance training too though.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't run or use cardio machines. I feel I get enough cardio doing laundry and vacuuming and the occasional walk or bike ride.

I like to walk/hike, ride my bike (not super fast or super often), play my conga drums (which really gets my heart going and makes my arms way tired)

My main 'workouts' are yoga and weight lifting.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There are many things that are technically better than running for cardio, however, the best thing is something you will stick with just like another poster posted.

I never run. Ever. I can't stand it. I ride my bike, and do an elliptical. Sometimes do some laps in the pool in the early morning. I prefer riding my real bike as it's easier to stay motivated. If I ride 5 miles away from home, there is only one way back home, and that's to do another 5 miles. For me it is so much easier to bail on a machine cause I am bored.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Do weights?

You don't even need to do cardio if you don't want to.

Weights burn more fat anyway.

Yeah but cardio is what gets you fitter. I'd love to see a lifter run a marathon....a lifter who ONLY lifts.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Cardio machines are mind-numbing to me.
    I take classes for the interaction and motivation.
    Much more fun and I look forward to going. :smile:
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    There is no reason you have to use a treadmill. Find another machine that you like more or take a group class. I go to Zumba 3 times per week. You need to find something you love in order to stick with it.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think I might do 10 minutes of interval training on the treadmill but there is no way I can stay on it for like 30 minutes! - it makes me feel really sick :(

You need a warmup of 5 minutes running at intermediate speed.

Then run for 1 minute, rest for 2.

That's about the 15 minute mark. Cool down and get off.

I will usually do my speeds like this:
    run 11.2k/h warm up
    run 13k/h 1 min, walk 6.2k/h 2 min
    run 14k/h 1 min, walk 6.2k/h 2 min
    run 15k/h 1 min, walk 6.2k/h 2 min
    run 16k/h 1 min, walk 6.2k/h 2 min
    run 16k/h 1 min, walk 6.2k/h 2 min
    cool down

Sometimes I go a little higher or lower and sometimes repeat 16k/h and sometimes not.

By the end of the 1 minute "run" part you should be heaving and panting.
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I hate running also indoor/outdoor. I enjoy dance workout videos, rollerblading and I just did my first hike and really liked it. You ha e to find what yoy enjoy otherwise you won't last long.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Do weights?

Yeah but cardio is what gets you fitter. I'd love to see a lifter run a marathon....a lifter who ONLY lifts.

Is the OP training for a marathon? Sounds like they are exercising for weightloss to me.

Lifting raises your heart rate, therefore you are getting fitter.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Do weights?

Lifting raises your heart rate, therefore you are getting fitter.

I am in the "Less Cardio" camp (not NONE but no cardio machines, running, etc). weight lifting DOES get your heart rate up! a brisk after dinner walk and housework is enough for me. I lost my weight with out doing killer cardio. I am much more fit thanks to weights and the occasional evening walk and good foods.

IF I wanted to run a marathon, I'd be a runner. if running a marathon is not your goal, you will do just FINE without treadmills and running.
  • rainbows1994
    Options
    I usually suck it up and get my butt on the treadmill (because that is all I have at home) but if I do end up going to the gym it is a real treat to be able to use the elliptical machine.

Weights do burn more fat than running but doing cardio is so important to your overall health!!!!!!!!
  • rainbows1994
    Options
    This is how I got into running. I never could stay on the treadmill for more than 5 minutes until I learned about interval training. Now I can bang out a solid 40 minutes on the treadmill and feel great after!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I like to ride bike, elliptical, exercise videos or take a walk with my kiddos. I also have a treadmill but it does get boring after a while.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    A treadmill is all I have at home, so when I'm on it, I keep myself distracted with either my laptop (up on the display, watching my favorite shows or a movie - gotta love Netflix!), my Kindle, or my cell cranking the music. Whatever distraction I use, I block the time display so I'm not counting the minutes.

Same here. I watch netflix on my ipad. Right now it is all Grey's Anatomy. :) I can easily do 45 mins without blinking.
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree watch a half hr show the time will pass .i too am getting board with running but I put on dancing songs and away I go..