Positivity about Tofu

Options
Esmerayne
Esmerayne Posts: 30 Member
Tofu. Love it, hate it, neutral about it... I want to try it! I always have for some reason.. Have any yummy recipes? What type do you prefer? Things you'd definitely NOT recommend doing with it? I'd love some input from those who have experience with it :)

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Get high quality Chinese style tofu, avoid Japanese style.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    The only way I like tofu is coated in cornflour, deep fried & thrown in with some satay noodles. A pretty high calorie experience, that.

Don't steam it. Or eat it raw. Scrambled is ok, with lots of garlic, peppers, mushrooms & some soy sauce....
  • Esmerayne
    Options
    Chinese style and doused with flavor, got it. lol
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I prefer extra firm, tossed in nutritional yeast and pan fried with PAM until golden brown, then sautee with bell peppers, onions and a light teriyaki sauce. I either eat this as is or over quinoa.
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    TOFU IS DELICIOUS!!! I am vegan and have been for years and have thus eaten quite a bit of it!!

Keep in mind that plain tofu is largely just like a giant sponge...still amazingly delicious on its own (of which i have eaten it many a good times) but if you marinade it in something (even juhst something simply like soy sauce) it will soak it all up and become super yummy!

You can also buy pre-flavoured ones such as teriyaki, korean BBQ, thai, peanut satay etc which saves you the time of marinating and are delicious!

They are a great source of protein and healthy fats and are incredibly low in carbs :)

I eat it both hot and cold

They are great in stir-fries, on sandwiches, to make burgers from, make into vegan 'omlettes', just google some recipes and a million will come up!

Try the site vegeweb.com as it has thousands of great ideas :)

Also if you buy it from asian stores it tends to be a lot cheaper than from the larger chain stores :)

Enjoy the awesome world that is tofu!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    don't cook it the same way you'd cook meat. I love tofu in curry, I make the curry sauce the same way as for a vegetable curry, then add the tofu about 10 mins from the end. Overcooking it is not good. You can use marinated tofu, but make sure the flavour of the marinade goes with the flavour of the curry. You also need to add more liquid and flavour compared to cooking a meat curry. Tofu absorbs the flavour of what you cook it in, while meat releases flavour.

btw I'm not a vegetarian, I eat lots of meat, I just love tofu
  • wheezeybouncer
    wheezeybouncer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the texture of it! Glad to see there are people who like it :)
  • Esmerayne
    Options
    I prefer extra firm, tossed in nutritional yeast and pan fried with PAM until golden brown, then sautee with bell peppers, onions and a light teriyaki sauce. I either eat this as is or over quinoa.
    Oh, that sounds delish! I've been wondering about quinoa, as well lately o:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Japanese agedashi tofu is amazing when cooked right and the Chinese Ma po tofu is fantastic too.
  • Esmerayne
    Options
    Thank you, all! Very informative :) Can't wait to pick some up. I hope it isn't too spendy...
  • diamondsword
    diamondsword Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make a lemon pudding with it. Put a whole block of tofu in food processor. Add juice and zest of one lemon. Add some agave nectar or honey to taste. Put in fridge to set. Grate dark chocolate over the top. Delicious and healthy.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Good but I prefer firm tempeh.... It's got a lot more flavor, IMO. The again, tofu is meant to absorb flavor. Nuff said. Both are good. I also like that tempeh doesnt require me to squeeze it like my tofu prep.
  • Esmerayne
    Options
    Good but I prefer firm tempeh.... It's got a lot more flavor, IMO. The again, tofu is meant to absorb flavor. Nuff said. Both are good. I also like that tempeh doesnt require me to squeeze it like my tofu prep.
    What's tempeh? I've never heard of that before o: I don't like all the prep work that tofu has, but eh~ Doesn't hurt to try. :)
  • nminden
    nminden Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No cook tofu-no preparation except slicing it!

I saw someone do this once - thought it was weird but have been developing the idea. This was during my total raw and vegan days-

Slice firm style tofu thinly and add to your sandwich.

examples: I put it between two slices of German pumpernickel, with almond butter and honey or marmalade for a sweet one; almond butter and baby spinach leaves and avocado for savoury.

You get a lot of protein for very few calories and a very filling meal/snack that is highly portable on a day that you're away from a kitchen.

As someone else said, tofu will taste like whatever you put it with. Very versatile food.
  • Swissy57
    Swissy57 Posts: 2
    Options
    I love it as I am 3/4 vegetarian, my fav recipe, great it, add hazelnut powder, millet flakes chilli powder, Thai spices, form little balls and grill them in the oven, make a coconut sauce with more Thai spices mix it all together and serve on rice. Delicious.

Can also make it in hamburgers with brewer's yeast, almond powder, herbs, millet flakes. The secret is the grating so the flavours mix in well.

If you can get smoked tofu, you can eat it strait out of the packet, it delicious.
  • QueenGyn
    QueenGyn Posts: 106
    Options
    Great post!
    I was actually looking for tofu recipe as I would like to give it a try again. I'm not fond of it but I'm giving it another shot.
    Brought some Korean tofu and looking forward to cooking it this weekend. :drinker: