People with Asthma

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
Getting sick is a trigger for me. I'll get a cough for a month or longer sometimes... It sounds like I have whooping cough when I do. Well, I'm just getting over a cold and starting to pick up that awful cough. I only have albuterol (no preventative medicine) because I'm only diagnosed with Athlete's Asthma (even though my doctor thinks it's not just that because allergies and illness triggers it). But, I don't want to go back to the doctor. I know, I'll go eventually but I'm broke, and just went in for something else that was pricey.

My question is, do you guys have any home remedies or advice to either get rid of the symptoms or at least soothe them. I'm going on vacation in a few days so I prefer not to die and annoy everyone on the plane with my hacking.

Also, any advice about working out? Holding off until it goes away, pushing through, etc.

THANK YOU

Replies

• wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Have you tried nasal washing?
    Nasal spray and nasal washing are very important to me even though I have preventer and reliever meds.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have allergies to animals and pollen that cause asthma-like symptoms. It's one of the health things that I hope that getting fit will help with, actually. I figure if my heart and lungs are in better shape, my allergy symptoms won't be so bad. If you think your symptoms are from allergies, have you tried antihistamines and/or corticosteroid nasal spray? Those things help me. I do exercise when I'm experiencing allergy symptoms, but I find that I have to reduce the intensity some if I'm having trouble breathing.
  • GJRicketts
    GJRicketts Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was advised to try goats milk to reduce the effects of asthma brought on by an allergy to cats and horses (growing up in a country pub with both in close proximity was interesting).
    I tried it - getting up at 6 am to go squeeze it fresh out of the goats - and you know what, I have no idea if I convinced myself into it working or if it really was the goats milk but it worked a treat! I know Goats milk has less lactose than cows milk and is less reactive than cows milk. I don't have a goat any more, but all the major supermarkets stock it now.
    Give it a go. Took about a week to kick in for me.
    Worst case scenario, you get to try goats milk for something different.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem-I get an asthmatic cough after I come down with a cold that will go on for weeks if I'm not careful. I've gotten sick three times this past year, and when I've completely cut out strenuous activity, the cough goes away much faster. Yeah, it sucks not to workout, but unless that cough is 100% gone, it's gonna get worse! Instead, make up for it by logging everything you eat and making sure to maintain. I take albuterol but also advair for longer term effects. Advil, cough drops, and nyquil help me cut back on coughing as well, but be careful what you mix.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    yogi breath deep tea helps me
  • MadameMC
    MadameMC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Getting sick is a trigger for me. I'll get a cough for a month or longer sometimes... It sounds like I have whooping cough when I do. Well, I'm just getting over a cold and starting to pick up that awful cough. I only have albuterol (no preventative medicine) because I'm only diagnosed with Athlete's Asthma (even though my doctor thinks it's not just that because allergies and illness triggers it). But, I don't want to go back to the doctor. I know, I'll go eventually but I'm broke, and just went in for something else that was pricey.

Wow, you just described me to a T. Sucks, doesn't it?

I have an old albuterol inhaler that I take when it gets really bad, but I hate to do so because of "the shakes" it gives me afterward. I was diagnosed with severe asthma when I was little, and the doctor advised my parents that if we were out and about and I was having a hard time breathing, to give me a little bit of hot plain black coffee - that the caffeine would help open my lungs back up a little. I still drink some when I'm particularly wheezy.
  • tracemyroots
    tracemyroots Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am learning to adjust as well. I am trying to eat all healthy to try and prevent asthma as well. I am open to any suggestions.
  • MadameMC
    MadameMC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was advised to try goats milk to reduce the effects of asthma brought on by an allergy to cats and horses (growing up in a country pub with both in close proximity was interesting).

Wow, that's...different. I was always told to avoid dairy, that it would make it worse.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I use coffee and a little vicks under my nose when I'm having problems in addition to my maintenance drug but instead of albuterol, which gives me migranes, I will use it if my symptoms are severe though.

That being said, I also just want to add that both emergency room visits and death are more costly than preventative meds. My asthma was not a problem for years then I got sick right at the start of allergy season and it got so bad that I couldn't standup without a terrible vommit inducing coughing fit. I had no choice but to seek medical attention immediately. And I don't have severe asthma, it's just sometimes our triggers can work together to cause us some serious harm. My asthma hasn't gotten that bad again since I've been on the maintenance drug.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    My remedy was swimming and then heavy weight lifting. My symptoms are now pretty much gone.
  • AnnDenny
    AnnDenny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have an old albuterol inhaler that I take when it gets really bad, but I hate to do so because of "the shakes" it gives me afterward. I was diagnosed with severe asthma when I was little, and the doctor advised my parents that if we were out and about and I was having a hard time breathing, to give me a little bit of hot plain black coffee - that the caffeine would help open my lungs back up a little. I still drink some when I'm particularly wheezy.

I have albuterol inhalers too and they give me the shakes as well. When I got so sick I had to take my breathing treatments, those made me feel really uneasy. I found the same thing with coffee too as it helps open up my lungs :)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

I have albuterol inhalers too and they give me the shakes as well. When I got so sick I had to take my breathing treatments, those made me feel really uneasy. I found the same thing with coffee too as it helps open up my lungs :)

I hate it too. It gives me the shakes, too, and really bad anxiety. I'm supposed to take it every time before I work out but it makes it almost impossible; I avoid it unless I really really need it :/