fat middle but not overweight

Options
why if this says im undereating i cannot lose the fat around my middle, im thin with a fat stomach, makes no sense. Help !!

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    if your body thinks it's being starved, it will hang onto those fat cells as much as it possibly can. try eating more and see what happens.
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Theres a fatbelly diet. Maybe you should check it out. It targets the right way to eat to trim the middle. There is also some cool glider exercises that targets your middle. Talk to your nearest gym they may know about it.
  • tammyhoff2004
    Options
    I'm with Nikki.....If MFP says to eat 1500 calories, you should eat that. Your body will start feeding off the muscle instead of the fat when it thinks you're starving it. Eating every 3-4 hours is a big help too.
  • infiniter
    Options
    You don't need to limit your calories or lose weight since you're already thin. If you're worried about a flabby belly try cutting your added sugar intake and just eat healthily (vegetables, healthy fats, fruit, whole grains, etc.). Exercise will solve your problem and help you get toned! Make sure to include cardio with ab work outs.

Basically, don't cut calories, eat wholesome foods, and up your exercise!
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When you don't eat enough your body releases cortisol which tells it to store fat, and conserve energy. Guess where that fat gets stored, in the middle! Stress can also be a trigger for releasing cortisol. So if you are stressed and undereatting, that could be a big reason.
    I carried my weight in my middle too, and I saw more progress when I upped my calories and increased my cardio. I upped my calories to 1400 and always ate at least half of my exercise calories. It worked wonders for me. Give it time.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Take a look at the types of food you are eating. Eat more veggies and grains (except for wheat). I've read a lot that the excessive amounts of wheat in our diet can contribute to that and bloat us. Good luck!!!
  • Spatrowich
    Options
    Yo uhave to eat enough to keep your body energized all day, but also, are you doing any cardio to burn fat?
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    You don't need to limit your calories or lose weight since you're already thin. If you're worried about a flabby belly try cutting your added sugar intake and just eat healthily (vegetables, healthy fats, fruit, whole grains, etc.). Exercise will solve your problem and help you get toned! Make sure to include cardio with ab work outs.

Basically, don't cut calories, eat wholesome foods, and up your exercise!

I agree with Infiniter. Sugar really goes to the stomach and eating healthy will dissolve the fat in the midsection. The midsection shows just what you consume. So, consume non-processed and healthy foods and it will flatten out.

Oh and eating 5 small meals a day instead of say, 2 big meals a day, with the same amount of calories overall will really help to shrink the tummy. They say when you eat only a few LARGE meals, your body isn't able to process and breakdown all the food quickly enough, so it stores what it isn't able to process and breakdown in the tummy area.

I also heard Pilates is great for a flat tummy! ;0)
  • clg1963
    clg1963 Posts: 4
    Options
    i do cardio 3 times a week and strength 3 times a week, i eat very healthy and sometimes go over the calories i should have. sometimes i crave and eat desserts and sometimes i dont, i think its the visceral layer of fat thats impossible to lose, no matter how much or how little you eat or workout
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Stress can also be a trigger for releasing cortisol. So if you are stressed and undereatting, that could be a big reason.

Oh crud. Maybe this is why I've lost all the pounds but still need to trim the inches. I am in a pretty constant state of stressed out.
  • clg1963
    clg1963 Posts: 4
    Options
    nope, not stressed at all

ill just never eat sugar
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I still have a fat middle too. You're not alone. My waist is 37 inches and I weigh 140 lbs. Everyone is built differently and that's my excuse for now... :(