Training for a Tough Mudder? Advice wanted please.

Options
JKS76
JKS76 Posts: 54 Member
Hi everyone. I've just seen a video of some Tough Mudder competitors in action and it really appeals to me. I would like tips on how you all trained for this event and whether there are any shorter but similar events to train towards?

A bit about me and my present position: I live in the UK and I have been weight lifting since January this year. I am quite strong but I really struggle to run very far - I am short and heavy and my aerobic endurance is bugger all at the moment. What sort of program would you recommend and what beginners/ intermediary events did you all do first before tackling the big scary Tough Muddy one? ;-) Thanks in advance.

*Edited because I have just downloaded some training pdfs from the T.M website but I would still like to know personal experiences and if there are any shorter events in the same vein.

Replies

• RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I just sent you an invite to a Tough Mudder training group I have started recently where everyone can chat about training and give advice, offer motivation, and discuss all things running :)
  • JKS76
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've done a number of these type of races I absolutely love them!! there are a bunch of shorter races that you can do to try it out before jumping into the Tough Mudder. If your goal is to do the Mudder I would suggest you try the Spartan Sprint as I've found those races to be similar to the challenge of Tough Mudder. There's also the Warrior Dash, Rugged Maniac, Fugitive Run, Run for your Lives, 5k Foam Fest and many others these are all about 5k (3.1 miles) and a lot of fun as well. My second Mudder is actually tomorrow and I'm super excited!

As for training, definitely increase your endurance training. Running and cross training such as HIIT, kickboxing, biking etc will help increase your cardiovascular endurance. As for running long distances, my last Mudder the longest I had run at a time was 7 miles and I was fine. The obstacles tend to break up the running so it's not as challenging as say running a half marathon (running wise that is). Make sure you have good upper body strength so you can pull yourself over walls, carry things etc. I would suggest you start incorporating pull-ups into your workout if you aren't already doing them, same with pushups. Cardio exercises such as burpees, mountain climbers, and plyometrics (box jumps etc.) are also really helpful to incorporate.

The nice thing about the Tough Mudder is that it's not a race, it's not timed, and people will help you. The idea is that you help people to reach you challenge, no soldier left behind. Good luck!! I hope you do it! It's worth it.

Here are some of the websites for the races I mentioned above:

www.spartanrace.com
    www.warriordash.com
    www.ruggedmaniac.com
    www.runforyourlives.com
    www.5kfoamfest.com
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I think you might find some spartans and local mud runs (i.e. country trail runs which are really good experience for the off road terrain of the event) We just do not have all the same events as they do in the US or Canada. I have found trail running helpful.
  • JKS76
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Great advice from all. Have been attempting I run - can manage 2 miles very slowly (average 12.5 minute mile) . Have signed up for a 5 k in 2 weeks so will see how that goes!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i've done two tough mudders, two spartan races, and two rugged maniacs. i think the tough mudders are my favorite, and it's because of the camaraderie. there is no timing chip on the course, as it is all about the challenge and your team.

the hardest part about these races is the trail. they're usually a trail race, yet people tend to overlook that fact, and worry too much about the little details, like the rope climb or whatever. so my advice is that you get used to running a good 6-8 miles continuously. i know that can seem like a lot right now, but thats what training plans are for.

because of the lay out of the races, you do have moments to stop and walk, and rest and recover. they're not as long as you might be used to though, and you are going to do an obstacle!! the obstacles are usually fun and very exciting.

as far as doing a smaller race to prepare yourself, that is up to you. you can if you like, but a friend of mine just did her first ever race yesterday, and it was a tough mudder. and up until yesterday, i think the furthest she's ever run was three miles.