Slim fast?

Options
So, i recently bought two tubs of slim fast powder...with the intention of having two shakes a day and then a healthy meal in the evening, but after reading alot of bad reviews online, im wondering if i should change my plan..

i was thinking about having a shake in the morning for breakfast, then a normal HEALTHY lunch and evening dinner?

what do you think i should do? thanks loves :)

Replies

• dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just watch your calories. If having one shake or two shakes a day is what initially helps you watch your calories, then go for it. But in the long run, I would wean myself off the shakes b/c that is not how you are going to be eating for the rest of your life (most likely).

Warning: Slim fast has always sent me running to the bathroom within 30 minutes of drinking them.
  • godhelpmee
    godhelpmee Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks doll! i think im going to try to have one or two shakes a day like you say, for a while...then move back on to solid food after a while... my main problem is snacking when im at college, so the shake should keep me filled up all day untill lunch time :D
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just start with solid foods and teach yourself how to eat. Just use slim fast as a snack. If you eat too little, you will hurt long term results and it will lead to binging. And considering you are 19, if you are any kind of active, you can probably eat 1700+ calories. How much do you weigh? What exercise do you do?
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The shakes filled me for about an hour, then my mouth missed the sensation of chewing. Also, if you look at the nutritional info, it's 250 calories, so you'd think that would be enough to satiate-not for me. However, if this will be what makes it work for you, it doesn't matter who thinks they're garbage...just don't be disappointed if YOU end up thinking they're garbage.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Thanks doll! i think im going to try to have one or two shakes a day like you say, for a while...then move back on to solid food after a while... my main problem is snacking when im at college, so the shake should keep me filled up all day untill lunch time :D

Hopefully they keep you filled up but for me, they keep me full for an hour or two at most.

Don't rely on shakes for meals. Slim Fast doesn't have the greatest nutrition and you can get much better nutrition for the same, if not less calories than slim fast.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Shakes have never kept me filled up. It's really no different than having a glass of milk and there isn't much for your body to have to digest so it passes through your stomach very quickly. The biggest thing with most of the shake plans is the brainwashing involved that you THINK you did something wonderful and healthy so you feel full. The biggest part of weight loss takes place right between your ears. If you think you can do it, you probably can.
  • LvlyLars
    LvlyLars Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I prefer carnation instant breakfast shakes. You can get the chocolate flavor in sugar free and they're a lot less expensive than slim fast. But you already bought the slim fast so give it a whirl :) But some of the other comments are right, you probably don't want to drink slim fast forever, so do the shakes but maybe a couple days a week slip in a real breakfast like egg whites or fruit or yogurt or something so you can start teaching your body what a good breakfast is. I typically do carnation a couple days a week and slip in oatmeal or even a starbucks if I'm feelin' spicy
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a regular healthy meal and use the Slimfast as a snack if you get hungry? Just count those calories into your daily number.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    When returning from vacation, or going back to work after a long holiday, I'll use the Slim Fast shakes to "jump start" my weight loss and help desensitize myself from all of the (over) eating I was doing. But long term, you'll probably want to learn to eat the foods you enjoy, in the right amount, in order to lose and eventually maintain your bodyweight. Does that make sense?
  • Jessica_D_Shadow
    Jessica_D_Shadow Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do more than one shake a day unless you don't have enough calories & have no more exercising ability to get more calories. A Slim fast in the morning goes a long way imo. When I was still skinny back before kids I weighed 145lbs. I was in highschool and kept forgetting to eat breakfast because I got up too late. Well, My mom let me drink her slim fast cans. Before I knew it, I was down to 130lbs!!! Just from a slimfast every morning! Crazy! So, I'm always a yes girl to Slim Fast. It works even if you aren't expecting it to in my experience. But yes, Stay close to a restroom after you first start drinking them!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    BTW - for your best chance at success here, , , post a picture, fill out your profile, set some goals, add some friends and get involved. It really helps!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'd skip the slim fast and get whey protein if you're looking to do shakes. I have a protein shake every morning (the powder is 120 cals, 25 grams of protein by LeanFit) and it keeps me full until 11 or so when I have a snack. I don't miss eating breakfast as these are so delicious.

I use a scoop of protein powder (vanilla), 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond breeze by blue diamond and some drinkable yogurt then top up with water in my Blender Bottle. Its delicious and doesn't make me miss the foods that used to only keep me satisfied for an hour...
    I did SlimFast before but found it was torture because I wasn't satisfied.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Do whats best for you....
  • JessicaJoanJarvis
    JessicaJoanJarvis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just started slimfast today, did it last year and lost five lbs in a short space of time so fingers crossed.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    flush that garbage down the toilet..u will thank me..jeeeeeez slim fast????????? wowwwww
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have used shakes with success, but they do not fill me up. As a previous poster said (though I am paraphrasing), weight loss is mostly mental and I think that means mental toughness to resist temptation. What shakes do for me is remove the temptation to get the wrong thing when I don't plan ahead and the justification that I need more X to balance my diet. I do not think they are a long term solution (though some people do use them for years). I have some powdered stuff (not SF, but other shakes) in my desk drawer at the office along with a shaker and dish cleaning supplies (so I can leave the shaker there). I might have 3 one week and then none for two weeks. They are my "no plan" plan. They fill that need nicely, but it does require mental toughness for me to make it through a shake day because I will get hungry before the next meal time.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    IN the future whenever you are going to start a new plan of ANY kind, (not just diet) read the reviews before you plunk down the cash. If you've already paid the money for something or otherwise commited, don't go online looking for reviews/trouble.

Online reviews are worth their weight in pyrite usually. Anyone with a bone to pick or axe to grind can write them.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i like slim fast. sometimes there just isnt time for a meal. a quick milkshake can make sure you don't 'crash' and eat something you'll regret.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    flush that garbage down the toilet..u will thank me..jeeeeeez slim fast????????? wowwwww

Who are you? What is your book about? Are you here making inflammatory and mean comments to OP and other people on other threads to generate interest in your profile and thus your mysterious book? I notice you pop into every thread and say the most inflammatory and consonant redundant reply you can think of. Do you think anyone can take a book seriously by someone who writes their profile in ALL CAPS? Did you know that looking for business on this website is a no-no? jeeeeeeeez your profile???????? wowwwww
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs using Slim Fast before my prom in high school. I missed eating real food, and it didn't teach me anything. When I stopped the shakes, I gained 30lbs, in a relatively short amount of time. You would think that I would have learned that fad diets didn't work, but nope, I spent the next 10 years trying this and that diet, I've never lost more than 10-15lbs.. until I came here, learned about eating to lose weight, and exercising to build muscle.

The Slim Fast plan is not sustainable