Am I making excuses.

Options
I really feel that I need to up my exercise but feel that I don't really have time, so I am asking for people to take a look at my day and suggest what I can do.
Below is a breakdown of my week.

Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.

6am, get up and out with the dogs, back just before 7, shower, breakfast, clean up after breakfast.
8.30. Work, on my feet all day, coffee whilst working and don't have a lunch break. ( am adding about the lunch break so you know I can't go for a walk during my lunch )
4pm. Home, feed & walk the dogs.
5pm.. Cook dinner.
Between 6 & 7 off to aerobic class.
Back home anytime between 7 & 8.30 depends on time of class.
8.30, shower and dinner.
9pm. A bit of housework.
9.30. Catch up and chat with my boys.
10PM ish bed..

Thursday & Friday,
Exactly the same as before but no classes so either grab 30 minutes on the exercise bike or lift weights.

Saturday & Sunday. My husband works away during the week so the weekend is our time together,

7AM Up and walk the dogs.
Housework...
Chilling with husband.
Most Saturday we get a couple of hours walk in, normally end up in a pub for a glass of wine. :laugh:
Back home to walk the dogs.
Dinner, clear up and chill.

I look at some people's diary's and they tend to fit in hours of exercise, I really need to fit in more so come on guys, I need advice.

Replies

• Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you have kids it makes finding time for exercising a lot harder. Apparently.

I have quite a bit of time I can spend on exercising but I imagine that would be eradicated if I had a family.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    What about working out with your husband on weekends, for some of the time spent chilling? Doesn't necessarily need to be gym stuff - hikes, jogging, etc.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I have quite a bit of time I can spend on exercising but I imagine that would be eradicated if I had a family.

My wife joined a gym that provides child care, and she goes for 1.5 to 2 hours at a time on week days, and sometimes longer on weekends (depending on the classes they are having). My daughter loves it there, and sometimes even sits in and watches my wife in a class (hopefully she's picking up some good habits).
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You seem to spend a lot of time walking your dogs, which I LOVE to do, myself! Are you just ambling along, or is this an omg, they're about to pull my arm off situation? Walking is a great exercise. Maybe you could incorporate some body weight exercises throughout your day. Squats while you brush your teeth. Toe raisers while you wait for the coffee to brew. Wall push-ups while you talk to your hubby about your days. These aren't great suggestions, but will allow you to sprinkle some additional exercise into your day. Good luck!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Just do what you can, that's what is important....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel like you need to up your exercise? To me, it sounds like you are getting quite a bit of exercise in between your dogs and working on your feet all day. Plus aerobics. I think you are doing fine. Maybe trade some of that aerobics time for strength training is all I would say...
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do hours of exercise. Don't worry about what others are doing.. everyone has different commitments during the day and everyone has different goals and processes.

Is what you are doing working? If it is, don't worry about it. If you really do want to up the calories burned can you jog a bit on the dog walks? Or walk a different route that gives you more hills or a bit longer of a walk now and again.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel like you need to up your exercise? To me, it sounds like you are getting quite a bit of exercise in between your dogs and working on your feet all day. Plus aerobics. I think you are doing fine. Maybe trade some of that aerobics time for strength training is all I would say...
    This.
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What about working out with your husband on weekends, for some of the time spent chilling? Doesn't necessarily need to be gym stuff - hikes, jogging, etc.

Ha ha, you don't know my husband.... He works hard all week so doesn't feel the need to exercise at weekends. He thinks I am crazy when I jump up from the sofa to go and fit in 30 minutes of exercise.

He does enjoy walking so we look forward to our weekend walks with the dogs, ( however both dogs are getting old now so about 50 minutes is enough for them both )
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm out of bed by 4:15 at the gym by 4:30 so I can be home shortly after 6am to get myself ready, kids ready, and out the door by 7.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Maybe up the quality, not quantity of the exercise? Take the dogs for a jog some mornings, maybe?

Make sure your eating is good though, no amount of exercise is going to fix a bad diet!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You don't have to spend everyday working out. Your schedule seems just fine to me. Just make the most out of whatever time you do spend working out, up the intensity, change up your workout from time to time. I used to work out all the time, but I saw the most difference when I had my eating in line. Focus on your diet when you can't compensate with exercise.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    If you're limited on time, up the intensity.
  • TxHamJello
    TxHamJello Posts: 31
    Options
    6am, get up and out with the dogs, back just before 7, shower, breakfast, clean up after breakfast.
    8.30. Work, on my feet all day, coffee whilst working and don't have a lunch break. ( am adding about the lunch break so you know I can't go for a walk during my lunch )
    4pm. Home, feed & walk the dogs.
    5pm.. Cook dinner.
    Between 6 & 7 off to aerobic class.
    Back home anytime between 7 & 8.30 depends on time of class.
    8.30, shower and dinner.
    9pm. A bit of housework.
    9.30. Catch up and chat with my boys.
    10PM ish bed..

Between walking the dogs twice a day and aerobics, you show nearly 2-4 hours a day of exercise. If you want to increase that, I would suggest increasing the intensity, not the duration.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    you seem to be doing just fine

Tuesday and thursday when you don't have class - maybe take a different class? Do a groupon of yoga or rock climbing. That way you can switch it up every couple of weeks.

Have you husband join you for exercise on the weekends - hit the trails, rock climbing, walking dogs, jogs, hikes, swimming, racquetball, run a races every other month
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options

I agree with this ^^^ plus make sure you are eating the best that you can and log your foods, in my opinion you are doing great with the actitvities that you are currently doing :)
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Run with your dogs instead of walking!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Can you 'exchange' the aerobics class for something different a couple of days? Maybe try to incorporate some HIIT (sprints) into the dog walks too. It doesn't have to be HOURS...just increase the intensity of what you're currently doing.

someone.jpg
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree that it sounds like you're about as active as you can be between working on your feet all day, walking the dogs and taking classes. However, since you're asking for input, you maybe could increase the intensity of your workouts.

Could you maybe try running with your dogs instead of walking? If that sounds interesting but you've never run, look up the Couch to 5k program, it's a great interval schedule that helps build you up to running. And if you do that, FYI, don't feel bad if you have to repeat weeks, I know I did.

Not sure how intense your aerobics class is but if you feel like it's getting too easy, maybe check out other classes or find a DVD program you can do at home. Lots of those DVD programs are free to view on Youtube so you could get some sneak peeks and figure out what you like.

Above all, stop comparing yourself to others. Some folks have all day or count things they shouldn't necessarily count for activity. Let them do their thing and you do yours. If it bothers you to see, hide them on your feed.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Yes it does, and yes it would...

OP, with the exception of the dogs, your schedule sounds a good bit like mine. We also have to toss in a 30-45 minute run (with crazy rush-hour traffic) to/from the daycare every day. And there've been plenty of days when I really WANT to take a jog on the treadmill but the baby just won't settle down enough.

But I can also tell you this, I haven't really been watching my calories all that well since the baby was born last December, and while I also have very little time for exercise, I haven't gained any weight. I know that if I would quit snacking and stress-eating (more like drinking!), I would probably continue to lose weight even without the exercise.

What I'm saying is don't underestimate the amount of physical activity you already perform in a given day/week. Some people think you need to be moving 24/7 in order to lose weight, and you don't. I had to LOL at "squatting while brushing your teeth" - yeah right, then I'd need another 20 minutes to clean up the bathroom and change out of my toothpaste-stained clothing! :smile:

Focus on your diet - experiment with calorie intakes until you find the amount you can take in while still losing 1 pound a week. Keep your activity level where it's at and you'll be fine.