What a Picky Friggin Eater

Options
My food diary sucks. I'm such a friggin picky eater that I don't know what the crap to eat. I pretty much don't like any vegetables other than carrots (raw) celery (raw) lettuce and sometimes green peppers. I take daily vitamins to replace what I'm not eating but I know its not the same. So, I plea for someone to give me some advice on what I should try. I can't help that my taste buds don't agree with HEALTHY.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to grow up and learn to eat foods you think you can't. I don't really like vegetables, rarely think "wow, I wish I had some broccoli" but it's what adults do. We learn not to eat like 2 yr olds and nourish ourselves properly.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    From your diary, it looks like you eat salad. You could try raw baby spinach in a salad (more nutritious than lettuces, though nothing wrong with those either).

Take baby steps towards things like broccoli, cauliflower, and green beans by trying them raw in small quantities. If you've done that and don't like them, then try blanching them. This basically involves steaming them for a few minutes (3-5), and then plunging them into some ice water to stop the cooking. You'll end up with the best of both worlds between raw and cooked: still crispy with some sweetness brought out by the cooking. Toss a little salt on them if you like.

My kids like raw sweet potatoes and jicama. My daughter dips the sweet potato sticks in ranch dressing.

A little more advanced:

Root vegetables (sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, beets, carrots) taste great roasted. Cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces, toss with a little olive oil, add some salt & pepper, and roast in 400 degree oven for 30-45 (or so) minutes, depending on how big your pieces are (smaller pieces = shorter time). They're done when they're tender enough to insert a sharp knife without too much effort.

Summer squash (zucchini and yellow squash): Great sautéed. Cut into 1/2-inch circles or half-moons, toss with a bit of olive oil. Heat fry pan for a few minutes (~2) on medium-high heat (a heavier pan works best). Toss in squash & arrange evenly in pan. Let the squash cook & brown a bit before moving it around in the pan. The browning brings out the sugars in the squash. Cook, occasionally stirring the squash about in the pan, for a total of maybe 5 minutes or so. Add some S&P & serve.

If I can think of some more ideas, I'll post them. Good luck.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to grow up and learn to eat foods you think you can't. I don't really like vegetables, rarely think "wow, I wish I had some broccoli" but it's what adults do. We learn not to eat like 2 yr olds and nourish ourselves properly.

I think that's exactly what she's trying to do.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Cook them.. puree them and put them in stuff...

you can hide tons of veggies in tomato sauce and casseroles.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any of the green smoothies. Spinach, tomato, carrot, pineapple and banana and water. tastes like dessert. You can't taste the spinach at all.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to look up what you think you are missing, and see if they can be found in other foods.

I know people are telling you to suck it up, but personally, if I don't enjoy it, then why the hell am I eating it?

There are many ways to get your vitamins and nutrients in... you just need to research the different options.
  • adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a very picky eater as well. I never had to eat/try new things when I was little or I don't recall being forced to try things ;). Your taste buds change every few years so just start trying new things. There are some items that I just don't like often because of the texture. Yogurt is an example. I can't eat it plain, but I can put a spoon full in my shakes. Maybe try using foods in recipes where the flavor/texture isn't as noticeable (instead of just eating everything raw).

My husband had to eat what was on his plate growing up (or it would be ready for him at his next meal). He picks on me (lovingly of course) which does help me try more things than I used too. Plus, once I starting eating healthier I wanted to try new things. I never ate zucchinni or squash and now we eat that often in the summer. Once you start trying new things your body might start craving all the nutritients :)
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're not interested in veggies be sure to take Spirulina. Just one tsp has the same nutrients and benefits (minus the fiber) equal to several servings of vegetables. You can get it in a compacted pill form to take with some extra water so you don't taste it.

I'm not a veggie fan myself. If I have Chinese take-out I will scarf down that bright green broccoli first just to get it over with. Ha ha. But I would prefer only tomatoes, spinach, carrots, celery, and cucumbers. Green beans if they are the only veggie in the house. So I do get it. I understand.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to look up what you think you are missing, and see if they can be found in other foods.

I know people are telling you to suck it up, but personally, if I don't enjoy it, then why the hell am I eating it?

There are many ways to get your vitamins and nutrients in... you just need to research the different options.

This. A lot of the nutrients in veggies are in fruit as well.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Like you I use to be very picky. I have ventured to try new things and am amazed at what I now like! My favorite dinner is to sauté veggies (all kinds) in a bit of olive oil and top with 1/4 cup fat free cheese. I add tons of spices to it and sometimes protein too. My mother never thought she would see this daughter eat green beans, sweet potatoes, etc. but I love em all now. Try a few new things (buy frozen veggies), spice them up and you will find something you like...trust me..I did!

Good luck.
  • sarahjalink
    sarahjalink Posts: 40 Member
    Options

People can't help not liking certain foods. I'm sure no one drools over brocolli but everyone I know eats it and looks like they enjoy it. I physically can't stand the taste of most vegetables and heave when trying to eat things like cabbage, so perhaps the OP is like me and can't just "teach" herself to eat them. It's not just vegetables either, I can't stand the taste of wine so think there is something seriously wrong with my tastebuds!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Roast them! My first two roasted veggies were Brussel sprouts and cauliflower - two of the three veggies I always hated growing up. They are divine roasted!

Given what you do eat, I would suggest you start with kale or green beans.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Roast them! My first two roasted veggies were Brussel sprouts and cauliflower - two of the three veggies I always hated growing up. They are divine roasted!

Given what you do eat, I would suggest you start with kale or green beans.

yes! roast them or sautee them with some olive oil.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

I think that's exactly what she's trying to do.

Exactly. It's why she's here asking for advice.

have you tried cooking veggies in different styles? ya know, i LOVE veggies but i didnt use to. I just kept trying them until one day a few started becoming plain ole natural for me to eat. Do you ever use spray butters, such as the SMART BALANCE spray butters on steamed veggies? honestly, it flavors it magnificiently AND its no fat or calories.
    What about adding baby spinach to your salads? What about corn? its a sugar veggie but chew it well and hey, its better than nothing???
    Keep eating those baby carrots.
    Try veggies with Spray butter, maybe you'll like them that way? Steam them properly and it ends up giving them a fabulous flavor. as a mother of two, i have been forcing veggies down with the kids since they were born and at first i get the big fat NO, but after awhile of making them try them over and over, it just becomes natural to their taste buds to like them. Now in saying that, i am not JAMMING food down their throats (for all you sensitive readers). It was just a way of me saying how i get the ball rolling in this with my kids. they LOVE the spray butter by Smart Balance. try it out!

stick to your salads if nothing at all with carrots and throw in the baby spinach!!!
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    if you like raw carrots and celery, you might really like raw sugar snap peas. they're sweet and crunchy. second the vote for jicama...don't let how ugly it is fool you. it's super yummy. (sort of the texture of a raw potato, but tastes almost like an apple.)

just take baby steps. buy just a few of a new thing, one thing at a time.
  • crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    cauliflower.....cut up the head place on lined cookie sheet drizzle olive oil on it and sprinkle garlic salt...that's it. Place in oven at 400 degrees cook until cauliflower is tender 30-45 minutes. If you like this you can experiment with other veggies the same way!
  • FoundProdigal
    FoundProdigal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    there's quite a few foods I didn't like when I first started eating them...but for me, I had to give up a bunch of foods for medical reasons, so I had to start trying new things. I find I might not like it the first time I try it but to continue trying it. Some things I eventually end up loving...other things I still don't like. One food I hated was avocado but someone gave it to me in a sandwich with tomato and omg...now I love avocado. It's become one of my favorite foods and I actually crave it.

So what I'm saying is, just because you don't like it now, keep being open to eat, keep trying it, and you might learn to love it. And if not, that's okay too. Part of it's the experience.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    adding spinach to your salads is great advice. this is how my super picky husband and kids got to eat baby spinach.

and try jicama. dice it and add to your salad. it's kinda the texture of carrots, I guess, but when I had it had little taste really, just a nice crispness.

do you have onion in your salad? if not just add a teeny bit of diced onions to start.

those skinny greenhouse (european) cucumbers you see at the store wrapped in plastic are easier to eat for the veggie-picky. they have smaller/less seeds and the middle issn't as squishy as the middle of regular cucumbers can be.

I am not fond of green smoothies yet, because they feel leafy in my mouth. I prefer to use the juicer.

(but I love me some veggies and yes, I can drool over asparagus and broccoli, so I'm sharing what my picky eater husband has done)
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The key to veggies is seasoning! Some veggies are great by themselves ie sugar snap peas (sweet and crunchy) sweet potato's, corn etc....but for others, or ones you don't like, try various spices. Baby carrots are great sautéed with cardamom and allspice! The only way I can currently choke down cauliflower is roasted with olive oil, garlic, and curry! Good luck and be creative!!!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

People can't help not liking certain foods. I'm sure no one drools over brocolli but everyone I know eats it and looks like they enjoy it. I physically can't stand the taste of most vegetables and heave when trying to eat things like cabbage, so perhaps the OP is like me and can't just "teach" herself to eat them. It's not just vegetables either, I can't stand the taste of wine so think there is something seriously wrong with my tastebuds!

I can't stand the taste of wine either, or any straight alcohol drink, but I do like veggies. Cooked or juiced broccoli is one of my favorites. I don't like it plain much.