Weight Lifting Confusion

Options
2»

Replies

• nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Come be a part of the fam!! "We fuel, hit the weights hard, & continue to shrink. Mission: for everyone to fuel to lose."

eatmore2weighless.com

https://twitter.com/EM2WL

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

http://www.youtube.com/user/EatMore2WeighLess?feature=watch
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Start now, keep your calories lower than your TDEE (but not too low, probably 20% lower with your goals), and lift away! Lifting now will help you retain the muscle you already have, and you will be surprised at how much you really do have! It is way easier to retain muscle while losing weight than to build new muscle once you get to your goal for a woman.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle mass means actually creating new muscle. Getting stronger can just be strengthening the muscle you already have. When you start lifting, you might feel weak, but your body will quickly adapt and you will probably see significant gains pretty quickly.

Apparently, we're not friends anymore but...lookin' good!

To the OP -

It's a mental game. You have to be totally committed at staying the course. You're not going to drop weight in a short amount of time like you would on a fad diet or whatever. It's a long process and so many people get 2-3 months in and get frustrated and quit so they 1. never reap the benefits of lifting and 2. didn't lose it with cardio either.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I hate broscience with a passion...

The whole "no mass gain at a deficit" is BS unless you are already extremely lean. If you have a significant amount of fat to lose you CAN gain mass while at a deficit, although it is at a much slower pace. Building muscle requires two things... tearing the muscle fibers and repairing them. You tear them by lifting. You repair them by eating/resting. Your muscles want proteins and amino acids. Those are the building blocks of muscle tissue. You can supplement your protein/aminos with powders without having to consume 4k-5k calories of chicken, beef and fish (which usually increases fat intake). As you lean out and gain muscle of course you will increase your calories but only because your BMR will change. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns on a daily basis, even laying on the couch.

I myself am currently doing StrongLifts and eating at a 1k deficit daily. I weigh myself, do a weekly BF% reading with an Omron meter, and measure with a body tape. While my gains are not quick, they are there. I've gained an inch in each bicep alone. However I have a 33% BF so I have the stored fuel to support the 1k deficit and still grow new muscle. I also supplement with whey and aminos to make sure I hit my macros.

This is what works for me anyway.

As for the OP's questions: Jamie Eason knows her stuff. She didn't get to look the way she did and win her titles without knowledge. Follow her plan to the letter. She has no cardio in the first section because cardio burns lean muscle. She is building the muscle under the fat so as you lean out you will begin to see all the hard work you did at the beginning. The strength and flexibility you will gain from lifting will be so beneficial down the road. Make sure you are doing squats too. ;-)
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can only speak from my experience, but I've been doing the JE LiveFit Trainer (just started over on Phase 2) and I have lost 26 pounds and over 10% body fat. I've only gained about 1 pound of lean body mass though. I eat at a deficit so I don't expect different and I'm okay with it considering my goals right now.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    1. start now

2. You maintain the lean body mass you already have while burning fat

ETA: I went from the pic on the left to the one on the right ONLY lifting and a calorie deficit.

love your results, impressive!:drinker:
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    1) I have 60+lbs to lose, should I lose more BEFORE I start lifting? I know that alot of people will say no, but most of the women that I know or that are on here didn't lose weight with lifting, they lost with cardio and then decided that lifting would be better because they were "skinny fat" or whatever. But that confuses me because,

2) If you can't gain muscle while eating a deficit (and actually your losing some muscle), how is weight lifting reshaping your body?Does strength have nothing to do with muscles? If your losing fat and muscle while eating at a deficit, then wouldn't you end up "skinny fat" anyways?

Personally, I lost all my weight with cardio and eating at a deficit, now I'm skinny but flabby, or, skinny fat, because I lost a lot of muscle mass. I finished the first two stages of The New Rules of Lifting for Women, but had to stop in April because I donated a kidney to my cousin. I also started eating paleo (not for everyone, but I enjoy it) and stopped caring about calories. There was significant difference in my body after only two stages. I have less flab and look more toned... even after a couple months off due to my recovery I still look better than I did before I started lifting.

I first started with a lot of cardio and a calorie deficit because I didn't know that that could cause me to lose muscle mass, now I do and wish I would have started with heavy lifting and disregarded a high deficit (I'm not necessarily saying a deficit is bad).

Anyway, this is my own experience. Things may be different for others.

Anywho, I can't wait to get back at it on Monday!