Which shoes should I run my half marathon in (old or new)?

Options
I am running a half marathon on Sunday and I just bought a new pair of running shoes. I did my last 2 runs in them (4 and 5 miles) and the felt pretty good, but I have a blister on my toe now from them. I know I probably shouldn't have changed running shoes, but I thought it would be okay since they are just an improved version of the ones I already have. So my question is: should I run in my old shoes for the half marathon and then continue to wear the new ones after? Or should I just wear the new ones during my race since I already did my last 2 runs in them? Thanks! I'm 18 by the way, female, distance runner.

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    When you get new running shoes properly fitted, you do not get blisters. Good properly fitted running shoes do not need break in. If it was time to change shoes, then it was time and it was the right thing to do, but it sounds like you didn't get properly fitted. A blister is going to need a bandaid in either pair of shoes. If it were me, I would use the new ones, but if it were me I wouldn't have the blister.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am running a half marathon on Sunday and I just bought a new pair of running shoes. I did my last 2 runs in them (4 and 5 miles) and the felt pretty good, but I have a blister on my toe now from them. I know I probably shouldn't have changed running shoes, but I thought it would be okay since they are just an improved version of the ones I already have. So my question is: should I run in my old shoes for the half marathon and then continue to wear the new ones after? Or should I just wear the new ones during my race since I already did my last 2 runs in them? Thanks! I'm 18 by the way, female, distance runner.

what kind of socks are you currently running in?
  • ajstacey
    ajstacey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OLD

Your new shoes are still "too new". The fact you have a blister makes me nervous about you running a half in them.

"So my question is: should I run in my old shoes for the half marathon and then continue to wear the new ones after?" = Yes

Good luck to you in the race!
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How many miles are on your old shoes? How stable are your feet in them (i.e. does your heel slide around)? You should retire running shoes once you've hit about 300-400 miles in them. I think you should wear your new shoes; running a race in your old ones might screw up your knees.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Wrong socks are usually the cause of blisters, not shoes...

Edit: don't run in cotton socks, if that's what you've been doing.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I am running a half marathon on Sunday and I just bought a new pair of running shoes. I did my last 2 runs in them (4 and 5 miles) and the felt pretty good, but I have a blister on my toe now from them. I know I probably shouldn't have changed running shoes , but I thought it would be okay since they are just an improved version of the ones I already have. So my question is: should I run in my old shoes for the half marathon and then continue to wear the new ones after? Or should I just wear the new ones during my race since I already did my last 2 runs in them? Thanks! I'm 18 by the way, female, distance runner.

You have your answer.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I am running a half marathon on Sunday and I just bought a new pair of running shoes. I did my last 2 runs in them (4 and 5 miles) and the felt pretty good, but I have a blister on my toe now from them. I know I probably shouldn't have changed running shoes , but I thought it would be okay since they are just an improved version of the ones I already have. So my question is: should I run in my old shoes for the half marathon and then continue to wear the new ones after? Or should I just wear the new ones during my race since I already did my last 2 runs in them? Thanks! I'm 18 by the way, female, distance runner.

You have your answer.

aWinner.gif
  • ebarish
    ebarish Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm using running socks so I don't think that's the problem. I'm just worried about how my feet will be since I've already ran in my new ones and if that will make the old ones feel weird, so I don't know!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm using running socks so I don't think that's the problem. I'm just worried about how my feet will be since I've already ran in my new ones and if that will make the old ones feel weird, so I don't know!

then that is your answer. you should run in your old shoes on Sunday. If your new shoes continue the blister, i'd consider another running shoe. I don't get blisters from my new running shoes, I also run in Thorlos socks.
    how OLD are your 'old shoes" ???? Do they have more than 500 miles, what style are they? There are so many questions here i could ask. I still run in my old Asics that have 600 or so miles BUT gosh do i love them. I replaced them with the EXACT Shoe and i still love my old ones better but the new asics have never given me blisters. They shouldnt really...
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If you already have a blister, i would get injinji toe socks and put glide on my toes/feet wherever else I "thought" I might get a blister. If you changed shoes because your old ones were completely toasted...then I would run in the new ones. If there is still some life left in your old ones, then I would wear them. Just my two cents...
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Wear the older ones. Running a HM is difficult enough without running on a blister (no matter how small it is).

There will be plenty of time to wear the new ones afterwards, but for that particular race, wear the shoes that you know are comfortable and do not give you sore blisters.