Too young for exercise?

Squamation
Squamation Posts: 522 Member
My son's are 5, 4 and 6mo. We live a healthy lifestyle and are encouraging our children to do the same.

I was talking with someone about my 4 year old and they were appalled that he did 'Wall Sits'. I explained its not an everyday occurrence but that once a week or so we do all sorts of exercises with the boys: Push Ups, Jumping Jacks, Wall Sits, Yoga, Running (laps around the coffee table), Leg Lifts and Sit Ups. We do about 5 of each showing them proper form (or as close as they can get) and all in all it lasts less than 20 min.

She still didn't think it was right claiming that a child that young shouldn't be exercising as he wasn't at risk to be overweight (our sons are in a normal/healthy weight range).

I think she's dumb. We make it fun for the boys and when they're tired we have them do one more and call it a day. I don't think that there's an age limit for learning the basics of exercise; we're not having them pump iron or train for marathons, just getting their butts up and moving.

It made me curious though what other opinions there are about how old/young a child should be before introduced to exercise.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    She is dumb. Exercise isn't just about losing weight, it's about being healthy and physically fit.

I may not have been doing regimated exercise but I was outside running, riding bikes, climing on playground equipment, etc from a very early age. As long as they're having fun, who cares?
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    She's dumb.

OP - you're setting your kids up with a healthy attitude towards being active - that it can be fun, and not a chore. Good on you!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    In my opinion, children are never too young for exercise. I used to get lots of exercise when I was young on my bike, running, playing, etc. but nowadays it isn't as easy for kids to do as everyone is worried about what they heard in the news and kids are kept indoors much more than they ever were before.

What about children who go to tennis, gymnastics, dance, karate, etc.? Does your friend think this is also wrong? What you do with them is no different! Haha, silly woman.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    She's dumb I see people's kids doing modified cross fit workouts with us, just a lot of running around and stretching isn't bad kids need to move around anyway. I mean if you had them lifting heavy weight that would be a whole other story. Tell her to raise her kids her way and you'll raise your way.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Your friend might be getting weight-lifting and general exercise mixed-up. Its been generally accepted that agressive weight lifting for young kids isnt a great idea. But a few pushups? Common how can teaching kids to be active be a bad idea?
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    She is dumb. Exercise isn't just about losing weight, it's about being healthy and physically fit.

Agree. When I was growing up, kids were biking, hiking, playing baseball in the backyard, running races, swimming, playing soccer, playing on the monkey bars, climbing trees,etc.. No one questioned us about how we played or thought it was unnecessary. No one said "Hey, you're not overweight, stop playing so hard." And if your kids enjoy exercising, good for them!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I think it is better for most kids to have active play time, rather than formal exercise, but wall sits never hurt anyone...until the next day.

Heck, I think most adults would be better off if they remembered active play time, but then most of my exercise involves my Wii, my bike and the pool :)
  • Michaelsdin
    Michaelsdin Posts: 146
    she is not dumb for quite a few reasons. she is just misinformed yes she is not correct when my wife and i do stretching and light exercise my 2 3/4 year old will do what we do.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    How cute. My lil one loves working out with me.
    Never too early to start them, especially if they are interested.
    My lil one asked for a medicine ball for her birthday. Ow weeee. She is so precious.
    She also loves Yoga and is better at it than me. I LOVE HER SO MUCH... :love: :love: :love:
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    In my opinion, children are never too young for exercise. I used to get lots of exercise when I was young on my bike, running, playing, etc. but nowadays it isn't as easy for kids to do as everyone is worried about what they heard in the news and kids are kept indoors much more than they ever were before.

What about children who go to tennis, gymnastics, dance, karate, etc.? Does your friend think this is also wrong? What you do with them is no different! Haha, silly woman.

This. I think it's wonderful when families are active and can find ways to exercise together. The mentality that kids are too young for exercise or too young to eat healthy is part of the reason why there are so many overweight children and teens. My youngest son, who is 7, actually goes jogging with me and is able to keep up!

Kudos to you for creating a healthy environment for your kids and for encouraging them to stay active!
  • lilkat_0087
    lilkat_0087 Posts: 55 Member
    My girls love it when I do my dvd's on rainy days and they join right in. they use their dolls as weights and try to keep up. Granted about 15 mins in they are laying on the yoga mat telling me stories but they still have fun. Your friend is dumb and it is never too young to learn about a healthy lifestyle.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    I wouldn't say dumb, just a person with a different opinion. My son made me laugh so hard the other day. I had taken my 3 boys to McDonald's and while the other two were running around the play place, my 6 year old got down on the mat and started doing push ups. There is nothing wrong with kids exercising as long as you still make it fun for them.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    I think it's good for children to get used to it when they're young. I wish my mother had taught me a healthy lifestyle. I wouldn't be here right now if she had.
  • obeseandsassy
    obeseandsassy Posts: 118
    I think that young kids should be encouraged to exercise by doing kid things. You know, running around in the yard/at the park, chasing each other, climbing trees, bike rides, going to the playground, going for walks. I really don't think actual exercise is really necessary at that age, as long as they're being active.

Maybe if you live in an inner city area where going out to play isn't really an option due to safety, or your living space isn't big enough.

I think exercise should integrated into a lifestyle so that it doesn't seem like a chore. telling your kid to do wall-sits is similar to telling a kid to clean their room, in my opinion. If your kid sees you doing exercise DVDs, and wants to join in, that's awesome! But if it becomes 'do x amount of reps or you don't get dinner', you're setting your kid up to hate exercise for life. (not insinuating that's what you do, OP!)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    She's dumb and obviously doesn't realize that it's a good thing to teach your children a healthy lifestyle!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    You go girl!!! Train them up now on how they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it! That includes making physical activity a part of their lives! They don't know its exercise. They think its a game! As they get older, you will LOVE having them exercise with you! We ALL need it!!

My 13 year old and her friend have started going to the gym with me. They do whatever routine I am doing, which was written by my personal trainer. They use dumbbells and kettlebells but lighter ones than me. It challenges me to do more reps to try to keep up with their young bodies! My daughter will say, "Come on Mom! You got one more in you!" When I whine about how she can do everything faster, she says, "look at how much weight you are moving!" I am being a role model so she doesn't struggle with weight her whole life like I did. She is encouraging and challenging me!! WIN-WIN!! :happy:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I wish I had been raised to be more active as a kid. We always played outside, but I was never a daredevil, so my kind of play was always pretty low-key. Maybe if I had learned to enjoy exercise when I was young, it would never have been difficult for me later in life. Besides, kids are balls of energy anyway; what's hard for us might be simple for them! The 5 year old I used to babysit would spend his day climbing all over the furniture and doing headstands or any variety of acrobatics that he could come up with!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    never too young to incorporate exercise into a lifestyle! it's not about losing weight; it's about encouraging healthy habits for life!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    She's not dumb, but unknowledgeable of why it's okay. People lacking knowledge aren't dumb, they just have to be taught.

Anyway, nothing wrong with bodyweight activity and "workouts". Kids don't do the reps and sets like an adult would, but their play and activity mimic some of the exercises. Climbing the stairs to go up the slide, hanging from monkey bars, running. We're doing pretty much the same, but with weights and less screaming...........................................well unless you're in a Zumba class.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    I don't think it's any problem as long as the kids are having fun. My kids run around, ride bikes, go swimming. They also like to copy me when I exercise. My 9yo LOVES to work out, and can do a seemingly endless number of pushups, situps, etc. I don't think I've ever seen him get tired; he stops when he gets bored! When I jump rope, the kids jump and pretend they have ropes (not enough room in my bedroom for all those jump ropes!) And my 8yo and 9yo have started going on runs with me -- they think I get tired too quickly. :P