weight gain with mirena??

Options
I have my my IUD Mirena in for almost 3 years. I have heard lots of people say that it has caused them weight gain? Most of my weight gain has been in these past years and was wondering what others opinions are about if mirena really does cause weight gain or not.?

Replies

• newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've gained weight and lost weight since i've had mine. All due to me not keeping up with excercise and not eating right. I don't think it has anything to do with the iud. I got mine in april 07 and i haven't really seen it affect my weight.
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have had mine 4 years and have not had any weight gain. I love mine!
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies... I have heard people say they have gained weight from it but I wasnt sure I believed it. Too good to be true right lol
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I had mine for about a year, got it taken out because it was causing pain during sex. :grumble: I have Implanon in my arm now, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I had mine for about a year, got it taken out because it was causing pain during sex. :grumble: I have Implanon in my arm now, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

That really didn't answer your question :laugh: I did NOT experience weight gain with my Mirena!
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I did have one about 3 years ago and had it taken out last year. I am very sensitive to hormone therapy and felt a difference immediately in my weight gain and horrible mood swings. It was like I was PMSing 24x7. It did dissipate after about 9 months but never completely went away until I had it removed. It took that long to get rid of it because I was told by 2 different OBs that it had no side effects. I finally spoke to my primary care doctor and she said she removes more of those than inserts because of the side effects.

I'd say, if you know you are sensitive to hormones then have it removed. There is a non-hormonal copper alternative called Para Gard. I used to have that one for 10 years, never a problem.
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    I have had one (well three actually) since the birth of my last child 13 years ago. It has been fantastic ( no TOM !!!!) and although my weight has fluctuated that is because of my bad eating habits and lack of exercise and not Mirena. No probs with mine.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Lost ALL of my weight with my little Mirena :flowerforyou:
  • kmulhollen
    Options
    I too had the Mirena last June 2009 and thought for sure I gained a lot of weight because of it. Looking back, I now think that I was very bloated after getting it and had a lot of cramping for awhile which probably added a lot of water weight and the feeling of gaining weight. I almost had it taken out because of the side affects but decided to wait. I'm glad I did because now I feel fairly normal and for me, TOM has not gone away but improved significantly. After starting to exercise and watch how I am eating, I am almost back to my normal weight so I know the Mirena was maybe only a small factor in my weight gain.

Hope my experience helps you!
  • Michaela722
    Options
    I went to my OB/GYN back in June and mentioned to him that I'd put some weight back on, in spite of running 4-5 days a week. I asked if the Mirena could be the cause (it was inserted a year ago). He said that he's inserted over 400 Mirenas in his practice and only had 2 cases of legit weight gain caused because of the IUD. So, chances are it's not the Mirena causing it.

I thought I was eating pretty well and was exercising regularly, so I couldn't figure out why I was gaining weight. Once I joined this site and started counting calories, the weight started falling back off again.