One more question about . . . .

Options
heart rate monitors! I have read alot of threads regarding heart rate monitors and it seems everyone loves the Polar brand. Has anyone bought a cheaper one that they are happy with? I can't spend too much right now, but would really like a HRM. Any suggestions?

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• fitsharon
    fitsharon Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitors! I have read alot of threads regarding heart rate monitors and it seems everyone loves the Polar brand. Has anyone bought a cheaper one that they are happy with? I can't spend too much right now, but would really like a HRM. Any suggestions?

Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    sharon,

you should figure out first what you want that thing to do. From what I see here in this forum most people use it to count calories. I believe even the most basic models do that.

Google for Heart rate monitor.

Web sites I use for prices are www.rei.com, www.performancebike.com and www.nashbar.com . They almost always have sales, so you should find something there.
  • fitsharon
    Options
    I defintely want it mainly to get an accurate count of calories burned. I will look at those websites.

Thanks
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I was wrong, calories burned is not a basic function/
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have a Suunto T1 and i love it. cost me $55 on ebay (new) This is my first HRM but it seems to have all the functions i wanted and needed.

HR
    Cals
    logs
    chest strap for continous monitoring
    and works with some gym equipment.

Not the best looking i have to say but that doesnt bother me in the least. (Tan and white)
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I paid $40 for a HighGear duo from Amazon and love it.
  • fitsharon
    Options
    Thanks I'll look on Amazon.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    got a mio sport on amazon for about 38$...works for me for what I want it to do. It counts my calories burned, but only during exercise and only if you keep checking your heart rate regularly. I love it! It's also strapless, so it's just a wrist watch. Obviously, I would rather have a hugely expensive perdy one that I could wear comfortably all the time..but yeah, not gonna happen! lol