Do you have to drop calories?

Options
Hi Everyone, I was just wondering if you have to keep dropping your calories? I really don't want to eat under 1,500 calories....I'm okay with the weight coming off slowly but I am weight lifting, heavy weights, and I feel going under this will only hinder my muscle development, any thoughts?

Thank you!

Replies

• schoonma
    schoonma Posts: 27
    Options
    No one? Does anyone just stay with their assigned number and never drop calories?

Thanks!
  • JohnnyCashMoney
    Options
    It shouldn't be about losing weight for you, because the heavy lifting will cause you to gain muscle which is heavier than fat. Relax. Go by your measurements, not your scale. Don't cut your calories because you need the fuel for your intense workouts.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand. Why would you drop calories? I increased my calories form 1400 to 1600 (though I usually eat somewhere in between) when I started lifting 3 weeks ago, so far lost 9lbs.
  • crystalreaves2
    crystalreaves2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drop calories at all just keep doing what your doing. At this point your most likely dropping body fat and adding muscle weight so its cancelling you out. Try taking your measurements and calculating your body fat if you are happy with the percentage than just maintain the 1500 and keep working the weights.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    never mind, quote by mistake
  • katecorb
    katecorb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think OP is referring to the fact that as you lose weight, MFP asks you to update your information, and then drops your daily calorie intake, to account for your new weight. She is wondering if she can skip that option, and just continue on her original calorie path. I also wonder this. I have lost 14 pounds, and MFP asked me to recalculate, and dropped me 80 calories a day. I do eat back most of my exercise calories, so for now, I follow the new, adjusted calorie number.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker you have a long way to go? If so, yes, you'll need to reassess your goals as your weight drops. That may drop your calories lower than 1500 somewhere way down the road (depending on your height, age, and activity level, of course) but you'll also want to set less aggressive goals as you near your goal weight.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want to add muscle while dropping a lot of weight. I'm sorry, but it won't happen. It's just not possible. So, which do you want more? If you want to add muscle, you will have to eat more, but you won't lose weight. If you want to lose weight, you will have to eat at a deficit, and can't add muscle.

Either way, lifting is important. If you decide to lose weight first, lifting will help you maintain muscle so you burn less while also losing fat. Like most things in life, you can't have it both ways.
  • WillieMN
    WillieMN Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My calories fluctuate within my goal range. I may have a low day and also a day to replenish if I've been training hard and my body needs to recover. Always staying under calories is not good for the metabolism. Keep the body guessing by changing intensity, time, exercises or calories.

and in order to gain muscle, you need to make sure you're feeding the muscle not consistently depleting.
  • schoonma
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies....katecorb actually had it right, whever I lost weight, MFP wanted me to drop calories....so I started over and will not drop in calories. I do want to lose weight but I do not want any flabby, hanging skin - I'm 44 so it probably won't snap back like it would for someone younger....so you think weight loss first then weight training? I just love lifting weights, guess I could go lighter...
  • jramaral
    jramaral Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you truly are working out with heavy weights I would not drop your calories below 1500. What I would do instead is change your macros within that 1500. Try a 40/40/20 carb/protein/fat within that. I personally weight 144.5 lbs, am 5'8" and work out 6 days a week. I eat 1500-1800 calories depending on if it is a training day or not. (eat less on rest day). I have gained muscle mass but dropped fat. I have not seen my scale change but I trust my measurements and my clothes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Part of reassessing your goals on MFP would include your weekly weight loss goal, too. While you might consider dropping calories once in a while, it's also about changing how much of a deficit you have.

Say you're currently aiming for 2 pounds a week. When you get closer to your goal, you'll want to change that to 1.5 pounds a week, then 1 pound a week, then a half pound a week. That will increase your calorie goal.

I also go by, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If 1500 is getting the results you want, stick with it until it doesn't.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    While you can't technically gain muscle while in a calorie deficit, it will help you to retain your muscle mass which is a good thing so definitely keep up with the lifting (and of course make sure you're getting plenty of protein).

As someone else said, if 1500 is working for you then stick with it and if you plateau for a month or so, then think about re-evaluating. Thankfully MFP allows us to custom set our goals so we can play around with the numbers a bit.

Good luck!
  • schoonma
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies, all great! I know I need to up my protein a little bit more as I do not eat meat, drink milk, etc. Once in a while I will have some cheese but most of my protein is from vegetarian sources.