Should I walk or run?

Options
I'm using the Runkeeper app on my droid to train for a 5k. I'm on the 4th activity which requires me to jog/walk for 45 minutes tomorrow. Which is perfect because I'm signed up to walk a charity 5k with some friends tomorrow. This walk is a "walk/run" and it's the same price to walk it or run it. If I run it I get a chip time thingy (I'm not a runner yet ok :smile: . But I don't know if that would be pushing it. Or should I just walk it and maybe power walk/jog a lil bit with the walkers. Is it frowned upon to jog with walkers? I know when I've walked 5ks in the past people always got annoyed (and by people I mean myself as well) when people would run past them to catch up to their group. What do you guys think? Should I register as a runner and just know I'm gonna be uber slow or register as a walker and just make sure not to knock anyone down when I decide to pick up the pace.

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think walking is fine. I think running is fine. And please don't take this personally, but I think getting annoyed when people run past you to catch their group is not fine. If you are walking in a group, you should take care not to be a rolling road block in case some people are walking and running and may need to pass walkers from time to time.
  • joekleinert
    joekleinert Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you may get more out of a brisk walk. Unless you run a lot. I know a lot of people who start out racing and get a cramp, etc by not streching well or warming up and wind up walking and running. Good excersise either way!
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am also not up to being a runner , quite yet, I still register as a walker and keep track of my time with my HRM.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you really want a timing chip sign up for the run. It might be good to see what your actual time is so that the next time you go out you can go a little faster.

If you run, keep it to a jog. This way you wont get injured. And I agree, with 55in13, don't get annoyed by those who pass you, be courteous and leave them room to pass. If you were running, that is what you would like. As a runner, it does annoy me if the walking group block the whole trail.

Whatever you decide, go out and have fun, thats really what it is all about.
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    fly. you should fly
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a mix of running/walking with the training program on Runkeeper, sign up as a runner and do your regular WO mix.

As a runner the only reason I get annoyed with walkers during a race is when they don't realize they're being dangerous on the course. Most of it is common sense.

Some tips if you do walk a bit:
    * start the race toward the back, not the front
    * If you go from a run to a walk - make sure there's no one directly behind you - I've run into walkers who stop suddenly and they aren't aware of their surroundings
    * When you're walking move to the right of the course, don't walk in the middle or left where people tend to pass

You'll find tons of race participants who sign up for running and will do a mix of running/walking. Just use common sense out there and don't let race adrenaline push you too far too fast.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think you should say... Sod everyone else and do whatever you feel happy doing. Your doing an event for charity at the end f the day not a sporting event. I did race for life 5k last year. I started with the walkers as my friend wanted to walk, when we started she says balls it i will run as far as i can and she ended up running 1k walking 1k i just jogged at her walking pace. No one got angry or commented on what we were doing. Good luck x
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Either one is fine! What everyone else said about being courteous is so true! If you're moving slow stay to the right allowing folks to pass on the left. There are many who do a mix of walking and running, I believe it's all about being aware of what's going on.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Both are great exercises but running (jogging) puts a lot of stress on your knees. I see people jogging so slowly that I could crawl faster and think that the strain they are putting on their knees surely isn't worth the minimal effort they are putting into their "run". I have seen people powerwalking, which I admit looks a little strange, and they are moving at a much faster clip than those who are pounding their knees into the ground.
  • anitagirl8
    anitagirl8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Both are great exercises but running (jogging) puts a lot of stress on your knees. I see people jogging so slowly that I could crawl faster and think that the strain they are putting on their knees surely isn't worth the minimal effort they are putting into their "run". I have seen people powerwalking, which I admit looks a little strange, and they are moving at a much faster clip than those who are pounding their knees into the ground.

I'm one of those persons I wish I could run, but all I can do right now is jog. But my jogging is so slow like snail slow and then I started to feel it in my knees so now I powerwalk. I often feel embarrassed doing it, but it's better being a coach potato.

I like sarahbrown12 do what makes you happy. you're running/walking/jogging for you and not for anyone else.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

You can get coached on your stride and learn not to pound your knees so much. It is harder on them than walking even with a good stride, but not much.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    walk. your body will thank you when you're old :)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a mix of running/walking with the training program on Runkeeper, sign up as a runner and do your regular WO mix.

As a runner the only reason I get annoyed with walkers during a race is when they don't realize they're being dangerous on the course. Most of it is common sense.

Some tips if you do walk a bit:
    * start the race toward the back, not the front
    * If you go from a run to a walk - make sure there's no one directly behind you - I've run into walkers who stop suddenly and they aren't aware of their surroundings
    * When you're walking move to the right of the course, don't walk in the middle or left where people tend to pass

You'll find tons of race participants who sign up for running and will do a mix of running/walking. Just use common sense out there and don't let race adrenaline push you too far too fast.

This. Good luck! !
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If your Runkeeper App has you walking more than running then I would register as a walker and start at the front of the pack of walkers but behind the runners. But if you choose to be a runner then remember that slower traffic stays to the right. I have run several 5Ks and I like it when the race is organized and they have signs on where to group based on your estimate race time.

Hope you have fun and try not to get annoyed - especially if it's for a good cause!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Just because you sign up to run doesn't mean you're signing up to run like an elite athlete. If you want timed (to establish a baseline) then sign up to run. Don't feel like you have to run like a mad woman, just jog. If you need to take a break from jogging to catch your breath. . .then walk a bit. No one is going to shame you for walking. In fact, I just won my age group (40-44) in a local 5k and I took a 15 second walk break after a killer hill. Just don't over do it with the running, and you might have yourself a challenging and exciting time!!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    If you've already signed up as a walker--and the walk is tomorrow--you may be too late to change over to being a runner. So just walk it as quickly as you can. If they award prizes for walkers, it's usually frowned upon if walkers run and end up snagging a walker's prize (although I don't think this would apply in your case at the moment).

If you do want to be a runner in the future, I would recommend you sign up for another 5K in the near future and register as a runner. That way you can focus your training and, even though you walk-run it, will establish a baseline time you can use to gauge your improvement (and you won't piss off the walkers who are competing for walking awards).
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Challenge yourself and sign up as a runner and take walk breaks when required. Running rocks :smile:
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    I started out running 5k's after having never ran before in my life unless someone was chasing me. Now I'm running 5k's, 7k's, 14k's, mud runs, etc. Seems like once a month, I've got a race. I would suggest that if you don't think that you are ready to run, don't. I've hurt myself more often than not when I first began by not stretching, not wearing proper running shoes (absolutely 100% most important thing in running), etc. Make sure that when you do start to run, you stretch yourself out and are running in good shoes, I just spent 6 weeks in physical therapy over a running injury that was simply caused by me wearing the wrong shoes. I never took much consideration into the whole "you really should get fitted for proper running shoes..." but man are they right. I run so much faster, easier, less painfully now in the new shoes.

Also, as everyone else has stated, as someone who run races and who has also been at the point of not being run the entire thing and stopped to walk, it's incredibly annoying for people who are walking or even running slowly to just be taking up the entire way. If you know you aren't going to go at the pace of most other people, keep to the side and don't start the race in the beginning. It sucks to spend the first 5 mins of the race dodging in between people.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I've recently done my first 5k and 5 mile.

You have nothing to worry about.

Just form up towards the back of the pack at the starting line - after the super fit looking people and in front of the people with strollers.

Then do what you want. I did mine as interval runs with a minute or two of running followed by a similar walking period.

NO ONE will care. In my (limited) experience: 20% of the people seem to be serious runners. 20% are only walking. The other 60% will be similar to you.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Generally if you sign up for a walk, you are expected to walk the entire distance. If you sign up for the run, you can run/walk, or just walk if you want to. As one poster said, make sure you start at the back if you decide to sign up for the run, even if you start out running because you will probably be slow. I always start closer to the back because most runners are faster than me. Haha!!

You might want to sign up for the run because you will have an official time and it will be on the even'ts website. That is always exciting to see, even if your time isn't the fastest. That way, if you do the event again or if you do another event and foget what your time was, you can always check the archives. :drinker:

The most important thing to remember is....... Have fun!! :flowerforyou: