Rowing Machines

Options
Does anyone have any experience with rowing machines? How is the workout? Is it hard on the body? Good full body workout? How much space do the machines take up and are the ones that can be folded up sturdy enough to last? I want to buy one, but haven't ever used one. I don't know what I need to look for while making the purchase. Any advice or suggestions on machines would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• jabrock9
    jabrock9 Posts: 65
    Options
    My hubby just bought me a concept D rower off of a crossfit website. i love rowing machines. As long as your form is good and you put true effort into it, it's a great workout. It doesn't kill me, but I also recently finished my first round of Insanity and am now doing P90X. It's definitely a full body workout. The one we have folds up to an extent and you can also wheel it to move it. Hope this helps you out.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Definitely try one out before you buy, you shouldn't spend that much money on something you may or may not actually enjoy. I've been making friends with the rowing machine since I'm back on "no weight-bearing exercise" and I find it much tougher than a bike but easier than running. And it took some time to work up to having any sort of endurance on it at all. I don't think it's hard on the body but you do have to use good form on it, it is possible to hurt your back if you do it wrong.

I just use the one at the gym so no advice on what to look for in a home model, sorry.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been using my Concept2 for several years 2 to 3 times / wk and love it (I use it for cross training for running and average 20 to 30km per week on it).

There are a huge variety of workouts you can do; sprints, interval, long distances and it's one of the few machines that combines elements of strength and cardio if a full body, zero impact workout.

The Concept2 machines aren't cheap (try to find a used one if you can). The Concept2 is probably the most widely used model in gyms & by rowing teams and there are a number of dedicated indoor rowing gyms sprouting up. Definitely try one (and perhaps get some instruction re: proper form) before buying . They come apart for storage (2 parts, very simple) but when assemble take up a fair bit of floor space.
  • lisabenson1984
    lisabenson1984 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a variety of machines (ellipitical, treadmill, bike) at home that I use and I've been running along with an array of Jillian Michael's DVDs for the past 3 years but I've been fixated on getting a rowing machine for a few months. I'm def going to look into these machines more! Thanks for the advice!
  • Easy_Ed
    Easy_Ed Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

To make a long story short, I used to be a hardcore runner until the pounding on my knees and ankles were too much to take going forward. After getting injured during my last race, I told myself I had to find an alternative way to get a workout without killing my joints and luckily I discovered rowing machines! I swear by them and because of rowing machines, I'm in the best shape of my life!

Let me answer your questions:

How is the workout? Is it hard on the body? Good full body workout?

The workout is second to none. The best things I love about a rowing machine are it delivers a fantastic full-body workout without putting any stress on your joints! Even with a really bad left knee, I'm able to row as hard as I can and walk away without any additional "damage" to my joints, especially my knee. I get a kick-butt workout that makes it difficult for me to stand sometimes for a few minutes (due to the intense workout on the lower body), but my body feels fine (unlike running for 10+ miles where I feel like my body/ joints feel beat up and I want to just ice myself for the rest of the day).

How much space do the machines take up and are the ones that can be folded up sturdy enough to last?

The required space for rowing machines vary, but even the more expensive (and extremely durable models) models such as the Concept2 Model D folds up when not in use, sometimes reducing its working footprint by ~50%.

I want to buy one, but haven't ever used one.

I suggest you go to your local gym or fitness equipment retailer and try one first before buying, just to make sure you feel comfortable on the machine. It takes a few minutes to get acclimated, but after that you're good to go. Make sure to watch youtube videos on how to row properly to ensure you row with good form to vastly reduce the risk of injury.

Here's a good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVkMzEXChLc

I don't know what I need to look for while making the purchase.

There are plenty of things to look out for when buying a rowing machine. It can get intimidating, but this buyer's guide I put together should make things easier: http://www.rowingmachineking.com/rowing-machine-buyers-guide/

Good luck on your quest to buy a rowing machine. A rowing machine will change your life for the better. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me!

Thanks!
    Edwin
  • sunseeker100
    sunseeker100 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump to read later. :)
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    I use a Concept II once or twice a week at the gym and they give a great workout and no impact if that is important to you. Technique is really important, so if at all in doubt find someone who really knows what they are doing to help you get this right or 1) you might hurt your back; and 2) you won't get the full conditioning and aerobic benefit. Thoroughly recommend, wish I had space for one at home!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    How is the workout?

Very good full body workout that gives you lots of flexibility around long/ slow, interval and tempo sessions.
    How much space do the machines take up and are the ones that can be folded up sturdy enough to last?

You want one with either an air fan resistance or water resistance. Hydraulic pumps or bungee straps are jerky and don't last. With that in mind you're looking at Concept or WaterRower. I have the latter and in terms of storage it tilts on end and sits agains the wall. Concepts do take up a lot more space, and are noisier in use.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its a great core workout...but I would advise that one shoud NEVER buy a machine they haven't used before and aren't sure they will use regularly...