Mommys with young kiddies

Options
13»

Replies

• kcreary
    kcreary Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When i was on mat leave with my daughter I put her in her swing in the exercise room (being off for a year was great) and did my workouts.

now being back at work, I am up by 5 am and either hitting the gym with my friend at that time, or do a dvd. There are evenings when my daughter does not want to go to sleep early, and I end up sleeping in, but try to get a walk at least in the evenings. Most mornings, it is early wake ups to do it.
  • JCThayer85
    JCThayer85 Posts: 21
    Options
    My son is 16mos. . .I do my strength workouts during naptime; he naps for about 2hrs, so that gives me plenty of time. Then in the evenings we go for about a 2mi walk. I live in GA, so I understand the heat issue, but by 7p it's cooled down enough her that he's comfortable the entire time.
  • melaniewest19
    Options
    I have a two year old and my best advice is to do it the second you put them to bed. I change into workout clothes right before his bedtime, lay him down and then DONT SIT DOWN. IMMEDIATEDLY start your workout. whether its a video or you can go for a run (if you husband isnt working). This has been only thing that works for me, I dont want to take more time away from my son as i work full time and own a separate business. so i wait till 8 at night and although Im tired when i start it gives me a burst of energy after to get a few chores done around the house before i go to sleep.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I have a two year old and my best advice is to do it the second you put them to bed. I change into workout clothes right before his bedtime, lay him down and then DONT SIT DOWN. IMMEDIATEDLY start your workout. whether its a video or you can go for a run (if you husband isnt working). This has been only thing that works for me, I dont want to take more time away from my son as i work full time and own a separate business. so i wait till 8 at night and although Im tired when i start it gives me a burst of energy after to get a few chores done around the house before i go to sleep.

This is good advice! If I even sit down on the computer, there's probably not a lot of hope for me to do much of anything. I do enjoy going to the Y because I'm there to workout and do just that. It holds me accountable.
  • HokieMama4
    HokieMama4 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have 3 "young kiddies" - ages 1, 4, and 5. I belong to a gym with FANTASTIC childcare. They do yoga, zumba, sports, crafts, playground, and swim time with my older ones and they have a separate baby area for my toddler. My kids LOVE going to the gym - I take them twice a week. They enjoy the activities and they now have some friends there. I'm able to go 2 evenings when my husband gets off work in time, and I go once on the weekend. My toddler is REALLY high maintenance these days, and I find that after I've had some refreshing gym time, and he's had a break from me, we have more patience with each other ;)

Good luck!
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old. I just found that if I do a Walk Away the Pounds video that uses the stretchy bands and give him my 3 bands at the beginning, he'll hang out and play with the bands. He even tries to follow along sometimes.

I've tried at bedtime, but he's in a phase where he takes forever to fall asleep and won't stay in his bed if I'm exercising.

I have found that sometimes when I'm carrying him up the stairs I might go down and back up again...just to do the stairs with the "weight". We went to the farmer's market last weekend and halfway through he wanted to be carried. Between carrying him and the veggies, I felt like I had a workout when I got back to the car. Fit in bits of exercise when you can. I got a WW email this week with a playground workout to do while your child is playing. Or walk laps around the backyard while she's in the sandbox.

Good luck to you. It's hard.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I have 15 month old twins. I lift weights when they nap. I do it 4x a week and walk 3x a week.
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I am having a baby that is due in July and I wanted to get back to the Couch 2 5K. I could probably get up early in the morning to avoid the heat and do that with a jogging stroller.
  • 110lbs50kgs
    110lbs50kgs Posts: 14
    Options
    My son is almost two.
    I have a set work schedule, 4 PM - 2 :30 AM Mon - Thursday. I like to lift weights before I go into work, usually during his nap around 1 PM. If I feel up to it I'll get cardio in on my elliptical, or I'll wait until I'm off work. On the weekends I don't worry about exercise as much because I'm busy chasing him!
  • Freedomgurl585
    Freedomgurl585 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    <~ Mommy of three lil ones and I workout after they are in bed. I usually have a cup of coffee or green tea around 7:30, kids in bed by 8 and I'm dancing or using my stationary bike. I bike and lift weights at the same time, just pedal and hold my arms over my head with 10lbs
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom and have a 1 and 2 year old.. its hot but the double stroller for a couple of miles in the shade isn't going to kill them.. They are sitting and getting the breeze.. and I take water bottles with us. I mean, I let them play outside and they are a sweaty puddle and don't complain.. and they definitely aren't after a run (only I get that distinction)...

but I would run with then after their breakfast if I didn't have to get to work. 8-9am before it gets too hot.. and they sleep... so there is always a video during their nap time
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. My little boy is 17 months old.

I workout either before he gets up or when he is down for a nap. When he is up and the weather is nice, I'll put him in his stroller and take him on a walk with me.
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 14 months, I work part-time. I usually run before work and do p90x after the baby is in bed! I have Yoga twice a week.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I hear you. It's hard when they are that small. It's a little easier now that my little one is 2. Try taking the little one out really early in the morning or late at night when it's cooler. Also, I've noticed a lot of moms walk the jogging stroller in the mall where there is air conditioning... don't think they will appreciate you actually jogging though... lol. Another idea is to work out when she naps or goes to sleep at night. Yes, this means lossing a little sleep but you could it it hard for 20-30 minutes for a pretty good return. I also know there are mommybootcamps out there where you exercise with other women with baby strollers. Good luck!!
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It is just not possible for me to workout at home. I love LA Fitness and so do my kids. At that gym you can bring kids over 6 weeks I think is the age cutoff. Today while I worked out my daughter played soccer, basketball and an obstacle course - its great because we are all being active while i am there!
  • marshmallow8978
    marshmallow8978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Since your husband works nights can you wake up when he gets home and have him watch the baby before he goes to bed for a bit? My dh's night shift is 10-4a, so I get up at 8 and workout in the morning when my daughter is the happiest. I do workout dvds or my elliptical.
    Another option is walking early before it gets hot, or getting a bike trailer. If you have the money join a gym with a daycare?
    It is so hard when they are little to do anything really, you just have to pick when they are at their happiest, contain them in some way, and do it! Good luck.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    In the early going, hubby needs to step up. You both "work the night shift", btw.