looking for homemade salad dressing recipes

Options
briabner
briabner Posts: 427 Member
Does anyone have any good salad dressing recipes. I am really trying to cut out processed foods from my diet and I am needing some good recipes for salad dressings. Any and all would be appreciated.....Thanks in advance :D

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese, even though it is processed. :wink:
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt + Lime
    Squeeze just a lime or lemon
    Oil and Vinegar
    a splash of red wine vinegar
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I usually leave my salad plain but if I do want a dressing I mix about 3 tbsps. of olive oil with 1 of balsamic vinegar, one of lemon juice, a dash of wholegrain mustard, a clove of garlic, some chopped red chilli and salt and pepper.... yum
  • cerulean9
    cerulean9 Posts: 9
    Options
    Blend 1 part dijon mustard and 1 part honey into a smooth paste (a spoon will do the trick).
    Add 3 parts cider or white wine vinegar and whisk until incorporated.
    Whisk 1 part oil into the mixture. Add herbs (tarragon is great), garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
    The dijon and honey give this some body, so you can keep the oil low and still have a tasty dressing with a nice texture. Nice flavour hit even if you use just a little bit. This is nice on mixed greens with toasted pecans, diced fruit of some sort, feta, and red onion - full meal salad!
    I like the sound of your olive oil/balsamic/lemon dressing. Will give it a try!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Classic Vinagrette
    1 part vinegar or lemon jice
    3 parts olive oil
    salt, pepper, mustard, honey to taste

Light Ranch
    1 part mayonnaise (to lower the cals replace some mayonnaise with greek yoghurt)
    1 part buttermilk
    garlic salt and dried herbs to taste

Asian
    1 part soy sauce
    1 part balsamic vinegar
    1 part sesame or hazelnut or walnut oil

For other dressings that are less fat than classic western vinaigrette, I would google Japanese dressings. Sesame dressing (Goma), white dressing (Tofu), and white miso dressings (Shiromiso). Some of these get their creaminess from purreed tofu.
  • adairbrum
    adairbrum Posts: 68
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar olive oil garlic bit of tomatoe past oregano add all to your liking mix well and yum yum
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, ready made English mustard, white wine vinegar and a little black pepper ... Simples!!
  • Cedarwren
    Cedarwren Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    garlic powder
    onion powder
    splash of white vinegar
    pinch of Splenda
    1-2 Tablespoons basil
    black pepper
    salt

Thin to desired consistency with skim milk. You can play around with the amounts of spices to get the flavor you like. You could use light mayo, but I think it tastes more "normal" with regular mayo and the calorie count is very reasonable because of using the nonfat yogurt. I have this dressing every day on my salad.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Simple mint dressing - Fresh chopped mint, vinegar, sweetener to taste and if you want to add a few calories add some olive oil.
  • Emma_altpeter
    Emma_altpeter Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like to just use soya sauce, its only 5 cals, or strong bullion for about the same.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Raspberry vinegar, chopped fresh herbs (chives, mint, that sort of thing). Mix with a spoon. Adjust to taste. Add sugar and/or olive oil if you want it milder.
  • angserino
    angserino Posts: 59
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mistyme
    mistyme Posts: 26
    Options
    extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar (below 6% if you can find it - We buy Napa Valley Naturals 4%), garlic or shallot, black pepper, salt
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Mix equal parts: vinegar or lemon juice, oil ( olive or canola), mustard, honey. Add a little garlic, salt and pepper. Can also add a little ginger. Great over lettuce salad with fruit ( mixed greens with a small amount of fresh fruit like apricot or nectarines) or cabbage salad mixed with toasted almonds and cranberry
  • cmerdler
    cmerdler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Creamy Garlic Dressing (Tastes like a Japanese Dressing)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/creamy_garlic_dressing.html

Ingredients

1/2 cup buttermilk (you can make your own with 1/2 tbsp white vinegar and 1/2 cup skim milk)
    1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
    1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I usually omit this)
    2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (I recommend Kikkoman)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Combine buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Parmesan, soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender; blend until smooth.

It's very runny, but delicious!

Nutrition

Per tablespoon: 10 calories; 0 g fat ( 0 g sat , 0 g mono ); 1 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.

Carbohydrate Servings: 0
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I squeeze a fresh lime over my salad. Very simple. Tastes great!
  • Dave_Ramsay
    Dave_Ramsay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Miso Dressing
    3 tbsp Red Miso Paste
    0.5 Cups Water
    6 tsp virgin Olive Oil
    2 tbsp White Vinegar
    1 tsp Yellow Mustard

Serves 8
    41 calories, 2 carbs, 4 fat, 1 protien, 239 mg Sodium, and 1 sugar per serving.
    :smile:
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    For a creamy dressing without the creamy fat, this is very good, but because of the beans and olive oil it's high in calories but you also get extra nutritional benefit from them.

In a food processor combine:
    Garbanzo Beans (15.5 oz can)
    Dijon Mustard - Kroger, 2 tsp (5g)
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 4 Tbsp. (15mL)
    Balsamic Vinegar, 2 tbs
    Garlic 2 clove
    salt and pepper to taste
    water to thin out dressing
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine uses Good Seasoning (bottle) with vinegar and chicken broth...save the oil. Next to 0 calories. You could also do this with good seasoning and water.