So what makes this time different?

Options
Is there one single, identifiable factor in your decision to lose weight?

I'm sure this isn't the first attempt.

Personally I had a birthmark on my back which I hated all of my life. I always felt so self-conscious.

This year I spent over $2,000 for surgery to get rid of it forever.

After removing the stitches and healing.....body toning time!

I've always wanted a better body, but without the fear of exposing my back...I'm ready for the kinds of crop tops and backless dresses I've always wanted.

Replies

• Mosley35
    Mosley35 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    More dedication
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I'm ready
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I will go out on a limb and say, we can all do it! :) I know it.
  • shuntia05
    shuntia05 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I definitely need some dedication in my life,but I am ready!:smile:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Getting older. Realizing that I don't have infinite time to make my body like I want it to be.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i was working on a film and saw myself in a video clip.. it literally made me so disturbed. i guess it was the push that i needed.. i have tried to lose weight SO many times in the past. but this time i'm actually doing it.
  • LuHox
    LuHox Posts: 136
    Options
    I've been trying to answer this question for myself, but I'm not sure I've come up with the perfect reason that THIS time is different, yet.

I think it's that I've literally tried everything else at this point, and MFP and similar online food diaries are the only way I've successfully lost weight in the past. I know that it's going to take a long time and I'm comfortable with that. I stopped giving myself an end-date. Whether I lose 20 lbs in 6 months, 70 lbs in 6 months, or nothing in 6 months (because I didn't try) that time is going to pass... so I'm okay with the 20 or 70, but not the nothing.
  • mandeenicoleb
    Options
    Probably about a week before I started the last pictures I took while out bothered me.

No one else seemed to notice it but me, but that's all it took. I had a loose fitting shirt but I could tell that when I was sitting my stomach was falling over my jeans.

At that point I was 148 which is really as heavy as I seem to get while eating tonsssss of whatever I want but I needed to shed that winter weight.

I've never been so successful so quickly. I lacked guidance. The lowest I've gotten had been 132 with crazy workouts all day long and not eating the things I enjoyed. I don't work out nearly as much now (don't burn out) and I'm shedding a lot faster.
  • mandeenicoleb
    Options
    I've been trying to answer this question for myself, but I'm not sure I've come up with the perfect reason that THIS time is different, yet.

I think it's that I've literally tried everything else at this point, and MFP and similar online food diaries are the only way I've successfully lost weight in the past. I know that it's going to take a long time and I'm comfortable with that. I stopped giving myself an end-date. Whether I lose 20 lbs in 6 months, 70 lbs in 6 months, or nothing in 6 months (because I didn't try) that time is going to pass... so I'm okay with the 20 or 70, but not the nothing.

I really like your answer. I think it is important to not get discouraged with deadlines of how much weight by when. It's a nice goal to have but as long as we get there......

no rush
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    go kick some butt
  • Darius66
    Darius66 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am about to be 30 years old and one day 4 months ago it hit me... I am going to be a single 300lb 30 year old man.

Somehow for the first time in my life I talked myself INTO doing what I needed to do for my health. I have never in my life been more motivated or pushed this hard to get in shape. It is like pre 30 is something I want to forget because this is when my life really starts.

Step 2 will be taking care of the whole single thing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This time is different because I'm older and it's more difficult to lose now. I'm married now and my free time is not just my time anymore. And I hope it's different in that I don't backslide and stop exercising regularly again, but that is still to be determined.
  • mandeenicoleb
    Options
    I am about to be 30 years old and one day 4 months ago it hit me... I am going to be a single 300lb 30 year old man.

Somehow for the first time in my life I talked myself INTO doing what I needed to do for my health. I have never in my life been more motivated or pushed this hard to get in shape. It is like pre 30 is something I want to forget because this is when my life really starts.

That is beautiful to hear how motivated you are now and knowing that you can do it! At the end of the day this really IS for ourselves and the change will make us happy and confident, as we should be.

@bcattoes--I believe it can be different for you. I'm on this super motivated mentality where I am convinced I can get into the best shape of my life and I just want everyone to join me :)))))
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What makes the difference is when you decide that it is no longer for a superficial reason. Most people want a number on the scale or to look better. Study after study show that people who do it for that reason tend to start getting comfortable as they get close and fall offt the wagon. Then they start to think it is a plataeu when the truth is they forgot what got them where they are. The only time it changes is when you finally make the decision to make a true life style change.

With that said there are those who are self punishing and are capable of keeping it up for vanity reasons, if you ask me those folks are just plain crazy. I keep going not becasue I want to lose weight or because I want to look better, it is because I enjoy working out and I like how I feel when I am done. I have accepted that I have a little flab left around the mid section, but I am in great shape and I could care less about that little flab. It is not affecting my health and it is not keeping me from any physical activity whatsoever. So why should I obsess over it?
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    "It's not that some people have will power and some do not. It's that some people are ready to change, and others are not."

I wish I could remember who that quote is by, but I have it written on my bathroom mirror as a reminder. I'm ready to change.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Probably thinking I was going to be a fat, sickly old woman...I wasn't far from that.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Step 2 will be taking care of the whole single thing.

And this is exactly what I am talking about. This guy gets it and is doing it for the right reason. He decided it was for his health not for vanity or just for the sake of hitting a number on the scale.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It's the first time I've tried actually. But I guess the reason I haven't tried before is because I just didn't have any motivation. I do now. Besides getting bored of hating myself, I need to try something to get some more confidence because I haven't been living my life. I don't know if/how much it will help if I ever do reach my goal weight, but I know not doing anything would have probably killed me one way or another.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 40's now and for me it's about getting healthy and ....I won't lie...looking better!:wink:

My Dad has stayed active and it shows! He played 9 games of softball recently....weekend tournament. He's 65 and is doing AWESOME! My husband's Dad however, has not taken care of himself and drank a lot until 5 years ago. He isn't very healthy at all and it's sad to me.

So for me...I gave up drinking and got serious about my health and weight loss about 7 months ago and I'm feeling AMAZING!
  • seanpp
    seanpp Posts: 2
    Options
    I just hit a milestone in my life and realized I wanted to be in shape again. I used to sail, but quit when I went to college and moved away from the water. After graduating, I moved across the country to San Francisco and knew that my life was changing, and I wanted "being healthy and fit" to be a part of those changes.