Blood Sugar out of control!

Options
I have been tracking what I eat.. doing my insulin and medications -(went to Dr last week - added back the Juaniva) doing exercise - Still my blood sugar won't go below 200! Any Answers?

Replies

• Parmcat
    Parmcat Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am T2 diabetic, and live in Canada, so out BG level readings are different. My reading were out of control also, I was on a few different meds, and heading towards insulin.

I recently started a low carb, higher protein diet, with 2 meal replacement shakes, and just basic healthy eating, and being aware of what was going into my mouth

In the first 3 weeks, my levels have come down lower then they have ever been, and I have stopped taking my meds for now (I haven't told the DR this yet) I have a fasting blood test coming up, so we will see what that holds.

Please feel free to add me as a friend, and my diary is open if you want to see what I am eating (I am new, so the diary is short right now)

All the best

Parm
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    My dad's type 2 and I know when he eats lower carbs/refined sugars and higher protein and fat, his sugar is in more control. He'd eat fruit instead of icecream or cake, sweet potato instead of white potato, reduced the amount of bread and pasta.
  • Mrsbirdieg
    Mrsbirdieg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help.. it is a never ending... ugghh...
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lower your carb intake and try to identify patterns on how your body reacts to certain foods... for example, I can not have milk ion the AM but evening is oK...
    It is a constant battle and you are absolutely right, it is never ending.

BTW: I am on Tradjenta and insulin pump for the last 11 years; was on Metfomin for 5 years; my sugars and insulin levels have decreased enourmously since using MFP... down from 120+ units a day to only 55 on average.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking what I eat.. doing my insulin and medications -(went to Dr last week - added back the Juaniva) doing exercise - Still my blood sugar won't go below 200! Any Answers?

Do you exercise till you're bloody sweaty?
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Carbs - it's all about carbs. Exercise and weight loss help loads....work hard on both.

If it gives you any hope, I am Type II and went for a long time with A1C numbers in the 10 range. Doctor was running out of options. I was 2 types of insulin (novolog - short term before each meal and lantus - long term at night) as well as one pill form. Between the 2 insulins I was taking over 100 units per day (probably about 70 units or so of novolog and 75 unites of Lantus at night).

I've been busting my buns for the last year, exercising and eating better. I'm now off all insulin and only on the very mild pill medicine (glimiperide). I'll probably be off that before long too. That's what moving your butt and dropping 100 lbs does. :)

I don't mean that in a cocky way...I hope it's motivational.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'd try a low carb diet. You'll need to monitor your readings closely. But, it helps keep my husbands sugar really under control well.