Am I making excuses.

Options
124»

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You are exercising a lot, it sounds like. Why do you feel that it's not enough? If you are after weight loss, you should be able to eat slightly fewer calories a day. If you have to spend extra hours exercising just to burn off your calories, it's much easier to modify the "calories in" part of the equation.
  • amandaj1966
    amandaj1966 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I used to use the "my husband works away so the weekend is our time together" excuse too. An hour or two out of each day is not much.

We've only been married for 2 months, give it 2 years and I will want to spend a couple of hours away from him each day. :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

However, having been a woman all my life, I understand the misinformation we tend to get fed about what a quality fitness program looks like. I've been using gyms off and on for about 17 years. I've never believed that women could become bulky and has always been interested in gaining strength - which means that I've been directed to circuit training machines and spending a lot of time on routines that work a lot of more peripheral muscles with free weights. A lot of work on abs.

It's only been recently that the idea of heavy lifting being a staple part of a basic fitness routine has become popular - unless you were specifically interested in body building, you were encouraged to do other things in the past. I'm loving New Rules of Lifting for Women (the lifting part, not the diet or cardio advice) because it really makes sense with everything I know about fitness. But I wasn't able to put it together until reading the book. One of the greatest things about the routine is that it takes so much less time than I was doing committing to building strength. And I have two toddlers so I have a strong need for efficiency and effectiveness.

It's possible that she's not making excuses, she just doesn't know what to do with the time.

I couldn't agree more with this. As a man, we get crap routines thrown at us all the time too, but they tend to be of the 'way too much' variety. Women get the 'way too little' sort of crap routines. Both are terrible. One of the great things about this site is that there are so many women here know their stuff and help spread the word about effective methods for losing weight and shaping up.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    One of the great things about this site is that there are so many women here know their stuff and help spread the word about effective methods for losing weight and shaping up.

^^^^ This. There's a lot of drama on here, but there's even larger amounts of gold too.
  • latysh
    latysh Posts: 29
    Options
    Seems like you do MUCH more exercise than most of us trying to loose weight :)
    If you are not loosing there could be a few reasons:
    1) Eating way less that you are supposed to (your activity levels are moderate to high) so you should be getting in at least 1500-1800 calories a day.
    2) If you only need to tone up (loose like 10-15 lb) switch your aerobics class to a full 30-45 min of lifting and machines. laso carrying weights while walking dogs helps too.
    3) Overeating on weekends.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot already. What else do you want to add and why? What's your goal?