How long does soy milk keep?

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
I have recently switched to soy milk (I use Silk Light Soy Milk on my breakfast cereal). I have noticed that the expiration date is much longer than regular milk -- about 6 weeks from when I purchase it.

However today I poured some in my coffee and it seemed very lumpy. I had the carton for about 2 weeks and it was nearly empty. Is this normal? Would shaking it every time I use it help? Or had it gone bad -- I didn't notice any difference in taste? Does anyone else keep their soy milk 2 weeks with no problems, or is it best to get a new carton every week even if you didn't finish the last one? They don't sell 1-quart size in my supermarket, so I have to get a half gallon and don't typically consume that much in a week.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When it goes bad you will not have to question it, you'll know by the smell!!

You do need to shake it every time, or it will always be very thick and lumpy at the bottom. You also will not be getting all the nutrition in each glass. The sediment from the boiled soybeans and the added calcium will settle to the bottom.

ETA: As long as it's kept refrigerated it will keep for a very long time. I'm not sure exactly how long but probably close to a month, maybe more.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the info!
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    5 days after opening it. At least it says so on the packaging.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Huh. Just noticed that it does indeed say "shake well" on the package. But I don't see anything on my carton about how long it keeps after opening, LeanneGoingThin.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I just checked mine Silk Light Vanilla and it says 7-10 days once opened. Check the side of the carton where the nutrition facts are and see if it states it there. That's where I found it.

ETA: yes, shake it.
  • davemunger
    Options
    I just checked mine Silk Light Vanilla and it says 7-10 days once opened.

Ah, now I see it! It does say 7-10 days. I wonder if that's just being conservative, though. I think it tasted fine after 2 weeks and I think if I shake it it will also have a good consistency...
  • 5ftnFun
    Options

Ah, now I see it! It does say 7-10 days. I wonder if that's just being conservative, though. I think it tasted fine after 2 weeks and I think if I shake it it will also have a good consistency...

It probably is conservative just to be safe. Often times products are good past that optimal time period, you just need to be alert and careful.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I've left an open carton in the fridge while I went on vacation and finished it off when I got back (more than once). But since I have had it go bad on my before and know what it smells like, I pretty much drink it if there is no smell. :ohwell:
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I used to drink soy milk regularly, but I've since switched to almond milk. I drink almond milk daily and I love it! Both soy milk and almond milk last MUCH longer than regular milk, in my experience. The packages of both soy milk and almond milk say to "use within 7 days of opening" but honestly, I've found that both soy milk and almond milk last much longer than 7 days after opening. (And I'm very picky about food and drinks spoiling lol.) They both taste and smell fine for a while after those first 7 days. I always use the smell test and make sure it smells fine before pouring any. And I personally don't like to drink it after about 2-3 weeks after opening; at that point I'll just chuck it, but usually I've finished the carton already by then.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Huh. Just noticed that it does indeed say "shake well" on the package. But I don't see anything on my carton about how long it keeps after opening, LeanneGoingThin.

Curious, it does say so on mine. Maybe it depends on the brand.
  • lilkat_0087
    lilkat_0087 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually keep mine for two weeks, I think 7 days is very conservative, and there is a definite smell if it's gone bad! You do have to shake it as well.
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just started using soy milk for cooking and found this to be helpful... Thanks!
  • 5ftnFun
    Options

I've left an open carton in the fridge while I went on vacation and finished it off when I got back (more than once). But since I have had it go bad on my before and know what it smells like, I pretty much drink it if there is no smell. :ohwell:

Yeah, I find that many products last longer than the date on the container. For example, yogurt's another one. If it smells funny or looks odd, then I dump it without hesitation. But food's expensive, so I try to eat up what we have and not waste. My soymilk or almond milk gets used up pretty quickly around here, so that one I haven't had experience with.

Edit for grammar/wording...*sigh* I need to proofread before I click that button.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When I worked at Starbucks, soy milk could be kept open for up to 10 days (and that was back when they used Silk brand). You absolutely want to shake it every time! Even so, when you get to the bottom of the carton there will be some sediment. I keep my almond milk for 10 days/until I finish it. But I stopped buying the big cartons of it and buy the smaller non-refrigerated "box" ones, like this:
    AlmondMilk.jpg

They keep just as long once opened, but have a longer shelf-life before being opened and don't require refrigeration until they're opened.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I also just switched to soy milk, and was also thrown by the really long expiration date. However, on the side of most containers, it says that the milk has been ultra-pasteurized to last longer unopened. Once opened, use within 7-10 days. I don't usually pay attention, since my soy milk never lasts longer than 10 days anyway! I love the stuff!