Realistic expectations when lifting heavy

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
My problem is that I am personally motivated by weight loss and am easily discouraged when the scale and/or tape measure does not move. Historically, I was a cardio junkie that survived on 1200 calories max. That technique worked for me (well....it made the scale drop) so I was motivated to continue the (not so great) behavior.

About a month ago, I buckled down and started StrongLifts. I made efforts to clean up my diet and eat more (an effort to drop bf%). I don't claim to be perfect by any means, but I do try to get my protein >100g and stay within my calorie limits (1650 calories). I record everything. My TDEE is on average 2100 calories (monitored by BodyMedia) and my average deficit is about 400 calories. On my non-lifting days, I do 30-60 minutes of cardio. So mostly, I am working out 5 days a week.

Here's the problem --- Over the past month, I have not lost any weight. In fact, I have gained it. My body fat %, according to my handheld electric monitor, hasn't changed either. Although the quality of my diet is not perfect, I don't think it should matter much as long as I am creating a calorie deficit. I say this because I am at 26% fat. I am 5'4.5", 136 lbs at the end of April and now 138.5. It is nowhere near my TOM. Bottomline -- I have fat to lose.

I guess what I want to know --- to set my mind straight and keep me going --- what are realistic expectations? I know that my behaviors are healthy and I am getting stronger (blah blah), but I really need the scale/tape measure to move. From your experience, is there a time frame that it may take before it "kicks" in? Am I holding water from lifting (I read that somewhere)? Or do I just have bad luck -- my body being one that holds onto fat and muscle at the same time? I had my personal expectation set at 0.5% body fat loss per month (although I was secretly hoping for 1%). For my size that doesn't seem unreasonable, but what do I know? Do I give it 3 months or is that a bad way to look at this?

What should I expect in terms of fat loss while lifting heavy?

Thanks!

Replies

• tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My goals are similar to yours, as are my expectations. My first month doing SL my bf% went up too. My weight was, kinda, meh (lost a little) and other measurements were down a little, about the same as the month before I started. so, basically I was a little discouraged also. My next 2 months weren't was I was expecting, based on some testimonials I have read on here, but were much better. So, I have, and you should, temper your expectations and stick with it. It WILL work and it WILL take longer than you want. Good luck!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    How much are you lifting? Are you still making consistent progress on your lifts?

I assume you're not seeing any differences in measurements, too? Can you tell your muscles are changing? Or do they feel the same as when you started?
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 60mins cardio several times a week on low calories, you are probably burning muscle rather than fat and hence lowering your metabolism = no fat loss.

Do no more than 20 min max sessions of cardio, preferably do HIITS rather than steady state, and do more heavy lifting.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Steady state cardio is not going to do you much good if you are not overly obese. Switch to 20 minute HIIT routine.

For weights, lift what you can without going overboard. Heavy for strength and size, medium for definition.
  • vsetter
    Options
    How much are you lifting? Are you still making consistent progress on your lifts?

I assume you're not seeing any differences in measurements, too? Can you tell your muscles are changing? Or do they feel the same as when you started?

I'm not lifting a whole lot when compared to others --- my upper body is weak. I am pressing and lifting about 40 pounds. Rowing 60 lbs. My lower body is more impressive (in my mind) -- 105 lbs deadlifts, 85 lbs on squats.

No, the measurements aren't changing yet, but I do feel stronger. I am moving up in weight weekly. What was once difficult is getting easier.
  • vsetter
    Options
    If you're doing 60mins cardio several times a week on low calories, you are probably burning muscle rather than fat and hence lowering your metabolism = no fat loss.

Do no more than 20 min max sessions of cardio, preferably do HIITS rather than steady state, and do more heavy lifting.

For cardio, I have been doing Turbo Fire HIIT workouts (about 25 minutes) on Monday/Friday. On Wednesday, I have been taking a 60-minute spinning class.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    What have your measurements done? Hand held BF readers can be + or - 4% off and really depend on keeping conditions as close to equal as possible. I wouldn't rely on it as accurate, but in combination with visual assessment (like with pictures) and physical measurements you can get a better idea of actual changes in body composition.

As for the weight gain, yes, it takes a while (a month or more) for your body to get used to the water retention from the lifting. The gain you see is probably related to more fluid than muscle or just fat (remember water and bone make up lean body mass along with muscle). You also made two big changes at once: Eating more and lifting. I personally think both were positive changes, but it may have come as a shock to your body. It needs time to sort things out.

And look at it like this. In a month you have gained 2.5 lbs. Most people can see that type of fluctuation between one day and the next. It can really mean the difference in how much waste you have in you. The BF% reading (while not 100% accurate) stayed flat. That would indicate that there was a small bit of fat gain with a bigger chunk of LBM gain (again, probably the water retention from the lifting). And since it can be so far off on accuracy even if conditions are identical, who is to say you were not a little dehydrated the second reading and that pushed the BF% up?

So the point....give it time. It does work. Do cardio if you like cardio, but don't rely on it for fat loss unless you switch to an interval program as suggested by many others. Track as many ways as you can and like to see the progress. The scale is a liar and its friend the handheld BF machine can't get its story straight.

ETA: Saw the reply about measurements.

Oh, and to put #'s to this whole thing --

READ
    Weight in Lbs / BF% / Lbs Fat / Lbs LBM
    138.5 26.00% 36.01 102.49
    128 20.00% 25.6 102.4
    120 15.00% 18 102

SO...basically, to hit a goal weight of 120 and maintain your current LBM you would need to drop to 15% BF. You may be closer to your ideal goal weight and BF% combo than you think.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm not lifting a whole lot when compared to others --- my upper body is weak. I am pressing and lifting about 40 pounds. Rowing 60 lbs. My lower body is more impressive (in my mind) -- 105 lbs deadlifts, 85 lbs on squats.

No, the measurements aren't changing yet, but I do feel stronger. I am moving up in weight weekly. What was once difficult is getting easier.

Your new muscle does retain extra water, which can cause some weight fluctuation. My wife didn't lose any weight for the first 3 weeks after starting lifting, but she did lose a lot of inches. And then she lost 14 pounds in one month.

I'm sure you'll be different, but what you've seen so far isn't unprecedented.

By the way ... those are not weak numbers for someone just starting. Nice job!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I find it's best to ban the scale to a corner in some closet and only bring it out on occasion, and focus on performance numbers.

I reckon if I stick with lifting and challenging my body, and nourish it accordingly, weight and measurements and body fats are going to eventually pan themselves out along the way.

If you're going to lift heavy, understand it's a long-term commitment, and the scale will tell you nothing much to speak of, so you're going to have to find something else to go by as far as tracking progress goes. Because of things like glycogen and water storage in your muscles and so forth, when you pick up a barbell, your scale turns into a lying liar as it can't differentiate where that weight is coming from that you put on it by stepping on it.

I'm withholding judgment until I'm like 6 months in. I did notice that when I took a 5-day break from lifting, my weight magically dropped 5 pounds. WTF? Well, there you go. Cut the umbilical cord to your scale, be less OCD about minor details, and instead enjoy getting stronger, leaner, meaner and better conditioned! If you eat at a small cut below TDEE while lifting heavy, your weight will eventually pan itself out and your body will respond. Just stick with it. I only have like 25 pounds to lose, and I've already decided that I'm going to give this weight lifting thing at least a year or two and then reevaluate at that point. It's worth it, you know? So many benefits to be had from resistance training! I can't afford to sweat over an extra few pounds. That's what got me in trouble to begin with, so patience and easy does it are my motto now. Give your beneficial choices at least as much time as your crappy ones, and then reevaluate. But we always get impatient and want to cry about something not working, when really, the trouble is just with us being impatient, not with the good decisions we're making for ourselves. :smile:

Also, your upper body lifts will be much lower than your lower body lifts. It's normal, especially for women. You'll probably be stalling/deloading on OHP before anything else. When that happens, you might invest in fractionals that allow you to go up by a smaller increment than 5 lbs. Your numbers are looking good. Keep it up!
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I find it's best to ban the scale to a corner in some closet and only bring it out on occasion, and focus on performance numbers.

I reckon if I stick with lifting and challenging my body, and nourish it accordingly, weight and measurements and body fats are going to eventually pan themselves out along the way.

Yep THIS...

Just hide the scale for a couple months. Use a tape measure if you must, but stop focusing on goals that only involve weight loss. Strength goals will result in weight loss over time if you are lifting heavy and properly and keeping your diet within a reasonable calorie deficit.

I do suggest upping your protein to 125 grams and adjust other macros accordingly to make the calorie deficit (ie lowering carb intake) but that is what worked for me. I keep my protein intake high, my fat intake moderate and my carb intake just within what is reasonable for cardio 3x a week.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

60 minutes of Cardio is NOT enough to burn muscle, as the average person has about 2-3 hours worth of Glycogen to use.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    As another poster mentioned above, lifting is a long term thing. You might not see significant changes for months yet. It's not something that happens quickly. Especially being a female. It's a long long road, but ultimately one that I think is worth it.

I know you said you weight/measure everything. I too felt like I was doing that, but I fully admit I turned a blind eye to the occasional biscuit or treat and thought, ah well, i've been lifting I deserve it, but it stalled my fat loss for months. Almost literally as soon as I had spring cleaned my diet (I stopped drinking alcohol and eating too much sugar based foods) I began losing again, both on the scales and tape measure wise. You may need to look at tightening up your diet?

Just keep at it, you have nothing to lose by checking your diet and keeping lifting for a few more months until you reassess progress. I know sometimes it feels like you are spinning your wheels, I have been there too.
  • vsetter
    Options
    First of all, I just noticed that I apparently don't know how many days are in a week. With that said, I am making an edit to my original post. I exercise 6 days a week. I wanted to point that out before someone pointed it out for me ;)

Second --- thank you for all of the wonderful feedback. I realize that I get a little "mental" when it comes to weight loss. I have some patience but not much. My brain sometimes needs a reminder of what is realistic and that the scale is not important (coming from a person that spent many years at 1200 calories, weighing daily, that is hard to admit).

Based on what you have all said, I am going to set new goals. I am going to keep moving forward, doing what I am doing. I am going to try and increase protein a smidge to help lower my carbs a tad. I am going to use strength as my number to monitor (since apparently measuring is what keeps me on track). As long as I continue to get stronger, I will be pleased. I have some 1.25 and 2.5 pound plates which will be helpful. I will try to avoid the scale and electric body fat thingy completely or at least only check once per month. I will re-evaluate in six months and not allow myself to get discouraged before then.

Thank you again for sharing all of your experiences.