TDEE vs fitbit

Options
So I've been going around the block on how many calories I should be eating based on my TDEE.

Before I did this research I was netting about 1,000 calories after exercise that I input manually into MFP. For exercise I have been doing Jillian MIchaels personalized web program and going for a brisk walk most every day. In three weeks I lost maybe half a pound. That's when I started reading more (mostly here) and doing some more research. I found out I might not be netting enough calories and to find out my TDEE and etc. and etc.

Plus I started wearing my FitBit and paying attention to the number on it.

NOW - According to the information on TDEE from Fitness Frog, using moderate exercise as my baseline, I'm at 2100 TDEE which means I should be eating at least 1500 - 1600 calories to get a proper deficit.

BUT my fitbit says I'm burning less than that. About 1800 which includes a walk but not the weightlifting I'm doing.

Forgive my confusion, but can someone set me straight on which numbers I should be paying attention to?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    My fitbit tends to low ball my TDEE. I have to manually enter my work hours cause it doesn't seem to recognize standing versus sitting and it doesn't recognize the small constant movement I do at work. I also think it under estimates my 30 DS/RI30 calories too.
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi ! I have a Fitbit and if you are doing an exercise that does not register steps (weight lifting as your example), you should record that in your online Fitbit activity tracker. Not sure if you're already doing that but if not, that will increase your TDEE and total number of calories you should be eating per day.